Looking for book recommendations

WarAndChaos

Hey guys,

Im looking for some good books to read upon chaos, ofcourse I tried Google and whatnot but I have no idea where to start any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

The First Heretic.... 

As you want a more Chaos not Imperium focussed book I highly recommend the Iron Warrior book Storm of Iron, damn good book. Also the Word Bearers trilogy is worth sinking your teeth into. 

There was an old book called Daemon World that came out a fair few years ago, Ill try find a copy for you to read. 

As for newer books I aint sure, not a fan of the new lore and got bored of the Heresy series years ago. 

Books with Chaos Marine protagonists is my favourite 40k sub-genre after the Heresy and books about tanks. I’m not sure how many of these count as books *about* Chaos though.

The Word Bearers trilogy, and especially the first book covers the bleakness of the 41st millennium and especially the pervasive power of Chaos.

The Night Lords trilogy ought to be required reading for all 40k fans; the second volume of it inspired my only 40k dreams in 20-odd years of lore immersion. Some might say it’s dated, but Lord of the Night is also an excellent read.

Lords of Silence is the other essential Chaos Marine book to me. Chris Wraight has written many excellent books, but this may be his best. He goes into the workings of a warband and the practical nature of their theology.

Also noteworthy are the Fabius Bile novels, Storm of Iron and Sons of the Hydra. They’ve all got the right mix of bitterness, delusions of grandeur and dangerousness that you’d expect from veterans of the Long War and all shed new light on their own aspects of Chaos.

Books with Chaos Marine protagonists is my favourite 40k sub-genre after the Heresy and books about tanks. I’m not sure how many of these count as books *about* Chaos though.

The Word Bearers trilogy, and especially the first book covers the bleakness of the 41st millennium and especially the pervasive power of Chaos.

The Night Lords trilogy ought to be required reading for all 40k fans; the second volume of it inspired my only 40k dreams in 20-odd years of lore immersion. Some might say it’s dated, but Lord of the Night is also an excellent read.

Lords of Silence is the other essential Chaos Marine book to me. Chris Wraight has written many excellent books, but this may be his best. He goes into the workings of a warband and the practical nature of their theology.

Also noteworthy are the Fabius Bile novels, Storm of Iron and Sons of the Hydra. They’ve all got the right mix of bitterness, delusions of grandeur and dangerousness that you’d expect from veterans of the Long War and all shed new light on their own aspects of Chaos.

I have read the fabius bile books and really enjoyed them! And nightlords books I've also been looking forward to as for when I first got into the hobby Conrad was one of the primarchs to first catch my eye.

But thank you for all the other suggestion and I look forward to checking them out!

For Chaos in general I recommend The Talon of Horus as #1, it even ties into the Fabius stuff a smidge. The amount of world building it does for life in the Eye of Terror is fantastic, and is a good story to boot.

I'll also second Lords of Silence, Night Lords, and The First Heretic, Chaos means different things to different marines and you get a lot of the spectrum here. However, if your focus is on traitor marines rather than Chaos (in this case, a single one), Lord of the Night is absolutely fantastic, and my favourite book covering the 8th. 

40k: ADB's work on the Black Legion (Talon of Horus, Black Legion) and Night Lords (Soul Hunter, Blood Reaver, Void Stalker) as well as Chris Wraight's Death Guard novel (Lords of Silence) would be what I'd automatically recommend for anybody wanting to read about Chaos Space Marines. They stand, in my opinion, head and shoulders above all others. Other top picks include

Anthony Reynolds' Word Bearers trilogy

Storm of Iron by Graham McNeill (a little dated in places now, but it was a groundbreaking novel in its day)

Primogenitor & Clonelord by Josh Reynolds (Fabius Bile/EC)

The Ahriman trilogy by John French (Thousand Sons; not the best on this list , but still worth a look)

30k: There are plenty of good picks, with my favourites being The First Heretic, Betrayer, and Slaves to Darkness. The EC in Path of Heaven & the DG in Scars as well as POH are also fantastic; putting them last as they are primarily books about the White Scars.

For Chaos in general I recommend The Talon of Horus as #1, it even ties into the Fabius stuff a smidge. The amount of world building it does for life in the Eye of Terror is fantastic, and is a good story to boot.

I'll also second Lords of Silence, Night Lords, and The First Heretic, Chaos means different things to different marines and you get a lot of the spectrum here. However, if your focus is on traitor marines rather than Chaos (in this case, a single one), Lord of the Night is absolutely fantastic, and my favourite book covering the 8th.

Ah! Thank you, il make sure to check them out, thank you!

Also recommending Storm of Iron, or if you can't find it by itself, the Iron Warriors omnibus (its the first novel in it). It's probably one of the single-best siege novels in the entire Black Library.

The Night Lords trilogy is also amazingly written.

40k: ADB's work on the Black Legion (Talon of Horus, Black Legion) and Night Lords (Soul Hunter, Blood Reaver, Void Stalker) as well as Chris Wraight's Death Guard novel (Lords of Silence) would be what I'd automatically recommend for anybody wanting to read about Chaos Space Marines. They stand, in my opinion, head and shoulders above all others. Other top picks include

Anthony Reynolds' Word Bearers trilogy

Storm of Iron by Graham McNeill (a little dated in places now, but it was a groundbreaking novel in its day)

Primogenitor & Clonelord by Josh Reynolds (Fabius Bile/EC)

The Ahriman trilogy by John French (Thousand Sons; not the best on this list , but still worth a look)

30k: There are plenty of good picks, with my favourites being The First Heretic, Betrayer, and Slaves to Darkness. The EC in Path of Heaven & the DG in Scars as well as POH are also fantastic; putting them last as they are primarily books about the White Scars.

I was always curious about white scars but I seem to find very little info on them so I look forward to grabbing that as well! Thank you

Also recommending Storm of Iron, or if you can't find it by itself, the Iron Warriors omnibus (its the first novel in it). It's probably one of the single-best siege novels in the entire Black Library.

The Night Lords trilogy is also amazingly written.

Oo I shall thank you! Also what would you recommend out of the Primarch books themselves?

Despite the Iron Warriors shelling my immediate position, I'd like to throw in the solitary vote against Storm of Iron, and I know that I will die on this hill.

You should probably still read it to see if you like it or not on your own.

"Though the pain was intense, he felt a powerful yearning for such power. What must it be like to command the power of the empyrean, to have its unimaginable power pump through your veins like blood itself?"

The whole book is like this.

It's a personal thing; for me decent execution is almost as important as good plot and characters. The prose is just awful, and I can't stomach it. However, if that sort of thing doesn't bother you, there's probably value to be found.

Despite the Iron Warriors shelling my immediate position, I'd like to throw in the solitary vote against Storm of Iron, and I know that I will die on this hill.

You should probably still read it to see if you like it or not on your own.

Regardless of one's opinion on the book, it is a seminal work in 40k fiction simply because

(major spoiler for WarAndChaos, don't click lol)

Chaos won. That was a really big deal when it was written, and caused a sizeable stir - can't place enough emphasis on that. It's an important part of the 40k canon in the same way old history books are still an important part of the historical tradition today, even if their findings aren't relevant to modern scholars.

As a result, I think it will always have a well-earned place on people's reading lists.

"Though the pain was intense, he felt a powerful yearning for such power. What must it be like to command the power of the empyrean, to have its unimaginable power pump through your veins like blood itself?"

It's a personal thing; for me decent execution is almost as important as good plot and characters. The prose is just awful, and I can't stomach it. However, if that sort of thing doesn't bother you, there's probably value to be found.

Ah I get it, still going to give it a try but reading that gave me flashbacks to when I was attempting to red the Leman Russ primarch book and Im really not a fan of that style of writing.

Hey guys,

Im looking for some good books to read upon chaos, ofcourse I tried Google and whatnot but I have no idea where to start any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Talon of Horus is my recommendation there, dude.

In other words, it's a Graham McNeil work. Man never met a situation he wouldn't drown in superlatives. Edited by bluntblade