IA: Knights of Damascus (LASC 2019)

Watcher

20191229 120900

Ok, so I forgot to take a before picture. Bit this is the moment of truth... I spray the whole thing with floor cleaner then a 50/50ish mixture 2 grime paints. After 45 minutes, I wipe it off. It's worked 99% of the time... the one time it failed it was catastrophic and I had to repaint the whole thing lol. Fingers crossed!

In other news, freehanding the symbol was very easy. It was my first time ever trying too! The fast attack badge wasnt hard either! I gave hime some checkered red white and  black on his knee, and same on his backpack. I hope it turns out well!

All done brother. I hope you like my take on your amazing chapter! 

In the wise words of the Emperor... ZOOWEE-MAMA, does that look awesome! jabaeza, youve really outdone yourself! It looks fantastic!!!! 

I love the freehand work for the chapter badge and fast attack, you absolutely nailed it!!! WOW :wub: :drool:

The grit adds a pretty cool touch! If you dont mind, i want to try that technique when i make more units for the Knights of Damascus. I love the dirty look for the Reivers! Looks awesome! :biggrin.:

Thanks brother! Im really glad you liked it! The technique is one I learned for painting imperial knights, and I thought I'd apply it to my iron lions.  Been doing it ever since! Below you'll find the paints I used for this mini, dakka dakka has a paint equivalence chart to help you out in color matching if you use a different brand. 

Reiver:
•Vallejo Game Color Leather Brown Primer (base color)
•Vallejo Game Color Khaki (pouch and skull base color)
•Vallejo Game Color Bone White (pouch and skull highlight)
•Vallejo Game Color Glorious Gold (gold parts)
•Vallejo Model Color Black, Metal Series ( body suit and blade color)
•Vallejo Game Color Chainmail (metallic highlights, bolter)
•Vallejo Game Color Dead White (whites lol)
•Vallejo Game Color Gory Red (red jaw and heraldry)
•Vallejo Game Color Black (heraldry)
•Vallejo Game Color Electric Blue (eyes)
•Vallejo Wash Sepia Wash (I don't recommend these washes. I have a set  and this is the third color I use from it.  Every time im very disappointed.  I'd recommend Citadel Aggrax Earth Shade over this.)

Base:
•Vallejo Game Color Leather Brown (primer)
•Vallejo Game Color Dark Flesh Tone (base)
•Vallejo Game Color Leather Brown (drybrush)
•Vallejo Game Color Khaki (drybrush)
•Vallejo Game Color Bone White (drybrush)
•Vallejo Wash Sepia Wash

For the grime, a tutorial:

•after all your painting is done, you need to airbrush your mini with a floor cleaner.  I use Pledge Floor Finish, the guy I learned it from used a different cleaner, with same effect. Any similar product should work. The cleaner will also serve like a varnish protective coat. 

•once it's all dry, I mix (eyeballed) 50/50 of these 2 paints into my airbrush

IMG 0021

They have multiple colors, maybe you want to yet a direct combo.
•spray the whole model ( I included the base on yours because of the planet surface being similar to the armor, on my iron lions i only spray the model before attaching to the base).  Make sure you get every spot.  As you can see, the model will look almost completely brown

IMG 0022

•wait 45 minutes
•Get a paper towel and qtip. Wipe down with the paper towel over all surfaces. Take care to leave some on recesses, and parts that you want extra grimy.  Use the qtip for those hard to reach areas. Do not wipe hard.  Ive taken off paint before because I wad too rough with it. 
•you'll need to touch up some spots. Mainly the eyes, but feel free to go after anything you want brighter
•done!

Thanks so much, brother!!! This gives me a fairly appropriate guideline for my own paint scheme! Vallejo paints are accessible to me, so no worries there. However, I agree with the washes. Citadel and Army Painter have that area down pat for me :wink:.

Would it be possible to substitute the cleaner varnish with a simple matt varnish or does the cleaner have a specific effect outside of that?

Again, thanks so much for all the work you put into bringing these guys to life and sharing your recipe. I find using multiple techniques and paint styles makes an army look unique and not so much like perfectly manicured Space Marines :biggrin.: (not that there's anything wrong with that.).

• 6 months later...

SMALL UPDATE:

- changed founding chapter to Salamanders for lore/gaming purposes as well as personal preference.

- changed a quote (Rogal Dorn) to litany of Devotion

The revisions are acceptable. I have questions regarding the following, though:

The planet was once home to a species of burrowing sand wurms spanning almost a kilometer in size, now near extinct due to a Pre-heresy purge of the aggressive species long before the Knights set foot on Relicta. These sand-wurms are responsible for the vast subterranean tunnels that span a majority of the planets surface and in rare and almost always fatal encounters, can be found nesting deep within said tunnels.

I like the imagination you demonstrate with the worldbuilding, but why is the creature named "wUrm" (emphasis mine) instead of "wOrm" or "wYrm"? And is its name spelled "sand wurm" with a space between the two words, or "sand-wurm" with a dash between them?

Their Fortress Monastery, the "Black Citadel", is made out of a strange dark ore found on Relicta, "night-stone" as it is known to the native Relicean tribes. Close in strength to adamantium and nigh unyielding once folded and forged in fire with Terran Steel.

Why not specify the "night-stone" is a natural alloy of adamantium, to explain why its strength, though high, is still inferior to the more famous metal's? Natural alloys exist (see electrum); if the Chapter has the necessary industrial equipment, it can refine the adamantium for its own use, and barter the excess in exchange for the AdMech's aid.

However, due to their seemingly ruthless nature and high combat tendency, the Knights are a prize the Blood God seeks for his own.

Who would know Khorne seeks to bring the Knights of Damascus into his service, and how would he know? Did Khax'dra declare he would subjugate the Knights when he fought Sovrain or Uther? Did Dravix declare the Knights were his cousins, grandchildren of Khorne (implying Vulkan was the Blood God's son, not the Emperor's), when he fought Uther or Alistair?

What other consequences will such knowledge bring? Will some Knights worship Khorne, forcing the Chapter to devote a lot of resources hunting down its own traitorous members? Will an Inquisitor go "Full Sabbathiel," accuse the Chapter of treason, and attempt to wipe out the Knights?

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Wurm is a simply an alternate spelling of "worm". No added emphasis or meaning other than that. The dash between the "sand" and "wurm" was an editing oversight that will be fixed shortly.

As for the night-stone, I'm not well-informed on the topic of natural ores and didn't see fit to research it. Thank you for your insight on this! Learn something new everyday.

For the Blood God section, the sentence is a third-person narration (the Knights being treated as unaware to Khorne's intentions) and was added as extra flare to give them an obstacle or flaw to deal with. 

The direction I'm hoping to go with this section is (as you touched on) the Chapter dedicating resources or confrontations with said traitor forces (similar to the Ragnar Blackmane books).

:biggrin.:

Wurm is a simply an alternate spelling of "worm". No added emphasis or meaning other than that.

You should mention this in the IA.

Incidentally, the Wikipedia article on the Wurm River states the name is related to the word "warm", as thermal springs feed its waters. Maybe the Chapter planet's wurms were also known as "fire worms" or "hot worms", as chemical reactions in their bodies heat them, fusing the sand the wurms burrow through into glass, as well as detering attacks from predators and parasites?

Wurm is a simply an alternate spelling of "worm". No added emphasis or meaning other than that.

You should mention this in the IA.

Incidentally, the Wikipedia article on the Wurm River states the name is related to the word "warm", as thermal springs feed its waters. Maybe the Chapter planet's wurms were also known as "fire worms" or "hot worms", as chemical reactions in their bodies heat them, fusing the sand the wurms burrow through into glass, as well as detering attacks from predators and parasites?

This is actually a great idea, I will update to similar information when I get a chance. I was hoping to involve the wurms more than just a brief mention so this would help incorporate them further. Thanks for the idea, genuinely awesome! :) 

Continuing this, I wondered if the Chapter planet's inhabitants have knowledge of chemistry, which could let them learn how a wurm's body heated itself, and how this knowledge could be used for humanity's benefit. Maybe flamers with greater Armor Penetration abilities? Maybe the wurms could dig through night-stone to create impenetrable nests for their eggs, and the knowledge of how the beasts did it could then be applied to refining adamantium from night-stone ore, allowing the Chapter to provide itself with adamantium-reinforced armor ("Artificer armor for everybody not already in Tactical Dreadnought Armor!") and/or adamantium penetrators ("Special issue bolters for everybody!")?

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker