Chapter Approved 2019 - Speculation

Grimdark_Garage

Seeing as the "BIG" FAQ this year was minimal due to the game being in such a comfortable place, it got me thinking what we might expect from CA2019.

Last year the book boasted the Sisters Beta Codex to bulk out the pages, the year before some rules for custom vehicles to be used in Open games.

As the game is in such a good place in the eyes of GW, do we expect a huge amount of point changes?

Similarly, with Psychic Awakening around the corner, potentially adding further flavour to the game, are we likely to see any game changing mechanics?

I think not on both counts!

So what could we see in CA19 that both bulks out the book and also gives customers a reason to purchase other than new scenarios?

Might we see the non-codex compliant Space Marine Chapters being brought inline akin to the other Codex Supplements?

Might be we see generic "endless spells" introduced to the game alongside a box release.

To then be further expanded upon with other supplements / codex updates?

What do we think could be in CA19?

I'm rather confident that they simply didn't want to shake up the game by introducing lots of Errata and Beta rules because they are about to release a bunch of new stuff via Psychic Awakening and following Codexes that will potentially shake up the game enough as is even without fiddling with the core rules.

Didnt they say that CA would have all the White Dwarf rules relleased throughout the year? So maybe that, maybe it will have more of that for other armies like Wulfen Company or Kroot Mercenaries or 21st founding chapter tactics.

Right, so WD stuff that was not Invalidated by new SM codex. So, we'll see Assassin Rules and Strat Roundup, Yanari Rules and Strats Roundup, Blood Ravens Strats but not Rules as they are referenced in the SM FAQ, Crimson Fists are in the Imperial Fists Supplement. We might see Black Templars and Possibly BA, DA and SW Litanies, could happen as I'd imagine BT might have unique Litanies so that would make sense to include all the Unique Chapter Litanies together.

Yeah, I would expect it to be a consolidation of existing stuff and a means of ensuring consistency in terms of points and some rules across all marine codexes. I wouldn’t expect it to introduce much new other than the scenarios/missions.

I also wouldn’t expect much in the way of points changes. The marine stuff is too new to be included I’d have thought.

There’s a possibility it may have some content to do with Psychic Awakening but I think they’ll want to keep that in its own publications.

On a pure wish list note, I’d love for them to introduce the doctrines type rules to some other armies to promote mono-dex forces.

Really hoping Wolves get some point tweaks since we missed the last CA... A lot of our unique weapons are hugely overcosted at the moment after vanilla versions got their points decreases.

We should do but not expecting any love for storm shield TWC

The points drops from new marine dex should be in there and maybe some for named characters, wolf scout bikes, and wolf guard pack leaders

What I hope will happen: Every army getting some kind of special rule or two that brings them up to the level that Space Marines are at, while the SM Chapter supplements get tuned down a bit.

What I think will actually happen: Minor point adjustments, roundup of data sheets from white dwarf, a few new mission/deployment sets, and an announcement akin to the FAQ announcement stating not a lot is in CA because the game is healthy and PA is coming out, even though plenty of armies are already getting auto tabled against SMs :rolleyes:

Edited by Kaldoth

What I hope will happen: Every army getting some kind of special rule or two that brings them up to the level that Space Marines are at, while the SM Chapter supplements get tuned down a bit.

What I think will actually happen: Minor point adjustments, roundup of data sheets from white dwarf, a few new mission/deployment sets, and an announcement akin to the FAQ announcement stating not a lot is in CA because the game is healthy and PA is coming out, even though plenty of armies are already getting auto tabled against SMs :rolleyes:

You are in for some disappointing feelings.

I hope csm get some points adjustments. Oblits could be a bit cheaper, normal csm and equipment and also chaos terminatora should be the same price as normal sm which got some drops with the new codex recently. maybe csm even get some kind of doctrines which they did not recieve in the recent codex. just wishlisting i guess...

I'd love to see another crack at custom vehicles and/or characters. I'd double love to see points associated.

The poor reception of the last two runs kills that chance though. Fun things like that are "open play" or don't exist.

Many Forge World models need a giant points reduction, and a few models need updates to their rules.

Again, what I want ain't what will happen.

The SM supplements aren’t even all out yet, it’s a little early for calling for them to be nerfed. Yes Iron Hands in particular have some stuff that probably needs curtailing slightly but it’s premature to ask for the whole range to be nerfed.

Eldar have been auto-tabling some armies since the start of 8th and yet people aren’t calling for their nerf in this. Space Marines are a popular faction and so people tend to notice it more when they’re powerful.

Even if, for the sake of argument, we said Space Marines were objectively better than every other army out there it’s still not fair to call for their nerf. They are the first in the next cycle of codices so of course they’re better, it’s like when they got the first codex, of course they were better than index armies.

Calling for general nerfs before everyone has their new rules or it is confirmed they won’t be getting new rules is unfair and will just see them relegated to the bottom tier again.

TL:DR more time needs to pass before we call for any marine nerfs apart from some of the really egregious Iron hands abilities which may need a small tweak.

Edited by MARK0SIAN

Marines shouldn't be nerfed, there are a few unit/rule combinations that need to be altered.

For example: make it so stratagems can't be used on the Leviathan, and so that it doesn't benefit from the extra chapter specific doctrines.

You can bolt this kind of thing on to anything with the Relic rule, and the same can apply to Helforged in the future.

Edited by Ishagu

I expect a plethora of minor points tweaks. Crimson Hunter Exarchs have been dominating Eldar lists so expect to see them jacked up somewhat. I would not be surprised to see the Alaitic trait revised in line with the Raven Guard trait since it is basically auto-take for Eldar at the moment.

CSM down 1 point to match the cost of their imperial equivalent

Various under/over used units/weapons adjusted by small amounts

A selection of broad spectrum beta "doctrines" for anything currently not getting anything shiny in psychic awakening this side of the year for all factions.

New missions.

Some rules for new toys that'll pop up that aren't in a codex or some such.

Thin tome this year.

At least that's what i think will happen

We'll  see a new set of missions for eternal war and maelstrom, I speculate we will stay with the "I deploy all, you deploy all" style along with retaining the standard 3 objectives (Slay, Linebreaker and First Strike). Would like to say they will add more maelstrom missions where selecting your objectives is a mechanic. Hopefully we see the "unreliable advice" mission go to the warp and never return.

In regards to special things, not exactly sure. I would feel like right now with Psychic Awakening, it is hard to say what they want to test. Possibly something for the open play fanbase.

In regards to points, we will see the usual hodgepodge of points changes. Some reasonable, some questionable and some random throw outs which are there to see what happens.