How are your Thousand Sons doing?

Prot

@Sonoftherubric21 were all the non-Reaper rubrics bolter-armed, no flamers?

Correct! Not a single flamer in the list this time around. I wanted to see what we could do in response to Intercessors using just Rubricae as the main opposition. 

If the 2 point drop is in fact true and we end up with 16 PPM Rubrics post-Inferno Bolter we stand in a good position amongst all Chaos Marine books. 

Bare minimum, reserves and larger tables need to be in use.

I'm local to Arch and I can confirm they were using a 4x8 table, hammer and anvil style, and lots of reserves. It really didn't help.

I was two tables down getting thunder hammers jammed down the throats of my Iron Warriors by a friend's Space Wolves the same day.

Both of these were casual games with fluff-appropriate lists and nothing extreme. It's really sad how blatantly broken SM are at the moment. And remember that this was vs a chapter with only 1 chapter tactic trait to the main book's 2 or 3 (Spears), and one that doesn't even get doctrines yet (Wolves).

Were you using the new Faith and Fury rules for Irons? And what was your list comprised of?  I play against Space Wolves relatively often and have never had a huge issue with them using my Black Legion Chaos Marines. Been some close games but never just got gimped during a game. 

Usually the Obliterator drop is enough to handle wulfen but bad games happen and dice can fail at the wrong times!

Edited by Sonoftherubric21

Correct! Not a single flamer in the list this time around. I wanted to see what we could do in response to Intercessors using just Rubricae as the main opposition. 

Sorry, my bad... I meant the weapon, warp flamer, not the demon type… 

Sorry, my bad... I meant the weapon, warp flamer, not the demon type… 

I was also referring to warp-flamer. I generally don't take them. I find bolters better in most situations. I own 60 Rubricae. Out of the 60 only 8 have flamers. 

Ah, gotcha!

I’m asking because I’ve got a box of rubric awaiting assembly. They’ll either be just a cult unit for my Black Legion or the start of a 1k sons side-army, and it’s always good to know how to build them before applying the glue :smile.:

I personally go 10 man, Soul Reaper, 8 bolters, sorcerer with staff/pistol. 

Its nice, and relatively solid unit that can deal damage, can take hits, and can really hold onto objectives like a boss. 

Thats just my opinion though!!!

Added bonus and food for thought for all of us from what I have gathered from leakers and from our brother in the rumor forum: 

Rubrics are still 16, but the Inferno Gun is now 0 points. (total 16ppm!!!) 

Tzaangors are now up 1. 

Our Daemon Princes went up (185 I think off hand from what I saw) 

Land raider down 20. 

Rhino down 5

Predator down 5

Sorcerers now 80. 

Cultist to 4

Scarab Occult 26 (don't know about their guns)

Ahriman No Change.

Magnus No Change. 

Making out pretty dang well. 16 Point Rubricae? We might have the best troop unit in Chaos if that is the case lol

Edited by Sonoftherubric21

I very much doubt there will be any characteristics update whatsoever. 

I too am curious to see what happens with the Inferno Combi-Bolter.

If Spawn really are 20pts for us as well, I'll be taking a few units of them. They got me.

Edited by Archaeinox

If Spawn really are 20pts for us as well, I'll be taking a few units of them. They got me.

They're already good at 25, 20 is killing it. What stops me is the kit is god awful.

They're already good at 25, 20 is killing it. What stops me is the kit is god awful.

And overpriced. I keep trying to find an alternate.

I too can't wait too see the final point cost for sots! Great news on Rubrics. I'm fine with the Tzangoor increase but 20 point spawn is a nice surprise! These guys are fun as hell!!

I have 3, probably just gonna get one more box so I have 5 total. Single big unit at 100 flat to cause some havoc. Also they have a really great strategem for what they are and its shocking how points effective these buggers can be. 

Woohoo! We are next in psychic awakening! Alongside dark Angel's and grey knights.

Looks confirmed on YouTube.

Inferno boltguns to zero, scarabs drop, heldrake claws are free so a drop there along with baleflamer drop, enlightened dropped, warpflamer dropped, prince with wings and tzaangor up, spawn, land raider, predator, mauler and forge down. Rhino down.

Well, less goats are more dusties is what we could expect.

Overall, by "standard" list took a 30 point hit from the princes going up, and a 66 point discount from rubrics and scarabs.

So....36 more points to work with I guess? not much. and Im running the most dust horde possible. (except my two xiphons who are honestly memesters and not a serious competetive thing)

I guess I could drop the xiphons and put in a massive number of spawn for the lulz. won't have any anti-tank answer though. our big problem was always that 99% of our stuff is infantry mowers.

I don't have a Daemon Prince for my Sons and may never get one, so I can dodge that bullet :tongue.: Otherwise it sounds pretty nice indeed. Seeing the Rubrics get a drop is great along with Scarabs, CA was never going to address core issues so I think this is a decent win for Sons overall. It could have been better of course (CSM made out like bandits it seems), but you can pretty much always say that :laugh.:

Feels like I keep making progress with my army to find the goal posts moved as Sons get point drops... so I suppose I should keep this up for the sake of all? :tongue.::wink:

My 60 Power Level TSons recently got stomped by a combined force of a Chaos Knight and 5 large Tyranid things (not sure of their name). I took a Battalion for 8 CP.

Ahriman

Exalted Sorceror

Exalted Sorceror

5x Rubrics (3 flamers)

5x Rubrics (4 bolters)

10x Tzaangors

5x Scarab Occult

Shaman

3x Enlightened

Rhino

I was winning, based on holding objectives, for most of the game, but got tabled by the start of turn 4 and I didn't actually manage to kill a single model in return. I ended up teleporting my Terminators into my own deployment zone in turn 1 because i desperately needed the firepower.

I'm going to drop some Tzaangors and the Rhino and put in a Predator, but I'm also hoping we get something extra, other than points drops, from PA4.

I might also forget about the Battalion and forego the 8 CP to keep the Rubrics as a single 10-man squad. That way my buffs will go further and I'll get the Soulreaper cannon back. I spent most of my CP on desperate dice rerolls that didn't have much effect.

Edited by byrd9999

Spawn for 20 pts/model is fantastic news. The "only" issue is modeling. Normaly i run 1x5 or 2x3 and I use the tomb kings ushabties for spawn. 6 is all i have and ebay has craaaaazy prices for all the old TK stuff. 

If I want to upgrade my herd of spawn I´ll have to get creative and look for alternate models. Right now I think it would be viable to play 3x5 and support with 1x30 goatmen + rubrics.