How are your Thousand Sons doing?

Prot

Inferno Combi still 3 so a Scarab with default gear is 33.

EDIT: Also, our DP's without wings have apparently stayed at 146. Given some of the movement shenanigans we have we might not take too much of a hit. My wingless Prince works just fine in a Rubric blob or babysitting Daemon Engines.

Edited by GreaterChickenofTzeentch

EDIT: Also, our DP's without wings have apparently stayed at 146. Given some of the movement shenanigans we have we might not take too much of a hit. My wingless Prince works just fine in a Rubric blob or babysitting Daemon Engines.

How so?

How so?

He stands next to Engines to buff/heal them or just moves his 8in plus Advance every turn in the midst of Warp-Timing Rubrics. Character protections keep him safe. If a wingless Prince REALLY needs to get somewhere he can use Warp Time himself, use Gaze of Fate to reroll an Advance, or take the Aetherstride Warlord Trait or the Dark Matter Crystal. I wouldn't recommend the latter two because there are opportunity costs.

Finally, he makes a good counter charge if something hits the Rubrics and can survive sniper fire reasonably well, especially if he can heal with Temporal Manipulation.

Spawn for 20 pts/model is fantastic news. The "only" issue is modeling. Normaly i run 1x5 or 2x3 and I use the tomb kings ushabties for spawn. 6 is all i have and ebay has craaaaazy prices for all the old TK stuff. 

If I want to upgrade my herd of spawn I´ll have to get creative and look for alternate models. Right now I think it would be viable to play 3x5 and support with 1x30 goatmen + rubrics.

You could use these:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ossiarch-Bonereapers-Necropolis-Stalkers-2019?_requestid=7536678

I actually thoroughly enjoy the Spawn in Thousand Sons. Granted this isn't a competitive move, but with our unique strat I've had a ton of fun once these guys are buffed.... they can be a real nuisance. 

I really don't like Tzaangors anymore. This is very new for me as I'm used to move blocking, or threatening with them, or even bufering Ahriman. So the reduction in Rubrics is very big for me, even if it is 2 points. I'm shocked the Scarabs didn't really move much  more than they did. 

I'm honestly not sure why they went up a point. They were not breaking tournament games or necessarily spammed. If they HAVE to go up, they should have left them 7 pts and have tzaangor blades cost a point. Give a break to laspistols and chainswords.

I actually thoroughly enjoy the Spawn in Thousand Sons. Granted this isn't a competitive move, but with our unique strat I've had a ton of fun once these guys are buffed.... they can be a real nuisance. 

I really don't like Tzaangors anymore. This is very new for me as I'm used to move blocking, or threatening with them, or even bufering Ahriman. So the reduction in Rubrics is very big for me, even if it is 2 points. I'm shocked the Scarabs didn't really move much  more than they did. 

My initial inclination for Tzaangors now is they are relegated to "Goat bombs" for the full 30 man unit now. 

Still seems good to me, but it will *always* be deep-striked. Unit of 30 with Horn is now 250. Its not terrible for what they bring but the ludicrous amount of anti-infantry shooting makes me question it. 

I suppose a core advantage of Tzaanogors (even at 8ppm) is they truly don't care how much AP someone brings to bare. In our case against new loyalist marines where their BASIC WEAPON can attain an easy -2.... Tzaangs kinda just don't care still. 

I think they will have their place but Rubricae will probably be the staple now. At least in my experience anyway! Here's hoping: I adore our Ashen Dead brothers... damn dust bunnies try so hard!  

Edited by Sonoftherubric21

My initial inclination for Tzaangors now is they are relegated to "Goat bombs" for the full 30 man unit now. 

Still seems good to me, but it will *always* be deep-striked. Unit of 30 with Horn is now 250. Its not terrible for what they bring but the ludicrous amount of anti-infantry shooting makes me question it. 

I suppose a core advantage of Tzaanogors (even at 8ppm) is they truly don't care how much AP someone brings to bare. In our case against new loyalist marines where their BASIC WEAPON can attain an easy -2.... Tzaangs kinda just don't care still. 

I think they will have their place but Rubricae will probably be the staple now. At least in my experience anyway! Here's hoping: I adore our Ashen Dead brothers... damn dust bunnies try so hard!  

Rubrics have done just fine for me against Deathwatch flinging tons of Hellfire Bolt Rifle shots downrange. I hope to see the same performance against NuMarines.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I'm at a loss for what to do. I want seriously into competitive play but I mainly used units that points increases so my entire list and general game plan has to change.

Scarab Occult are the closest to be useful of all the terminator variants and I really want to field them so I'll probably give them a go. I'm really just putting my TS on the back burner unit our PA book drops in January. Then I'll put in real effort to find my new direction with them.

In the mean time, I bought that Adeptus Sororitas box and I'm really digging the sister's of battle.

Likewise, I've kinda grown bored and limited in the wake of the last few releases. My sons will take a break from the game table and spend some time on the paint table. Of course, after I finish some other projects. I really hope we get some new powers or some kind of psychic change.

Not to really de-rail the subject, but does anyone run magnus anymore? I stopped. I am either bored of him consuming the same damn defensive powers, or bored of him doing the same thing. A. die first turn. B. survives and used the same powers and be a close combat monster. I'd like to see some variety and a reason for him not to always take the -1 to hit and +1 invuln powers.

Edited by Ahzek451

TJ Lanigan has a really good strategy for him where has recently gone undefeated in a couple big tournaments. The idea is Magnus is used as a MW battery. Ahriman, Demon Princes stay near Magnus to cast the +1 invul save, -1 to hit, temporal manipulation to recover wounds, and Boon of Change to fish for +1 toughness (with re-rolls almost guaranteed). In the movement phase he advances forward and in the psychic phase cast MW powers and one of them casts Warp Time to bring home back into your own line. Strategem use brings in Cabalistic Focus to give Magnus an additional +2 to cast and Great Sorcerer for the extra cast. Lastly, the Changeling for the 6+++. It makes Magnus an absolute monster in the psychic phase, kept at range a lot of units cant shoot him and if they can he is fairly durable.

After CA2019 I don't know how viable the list will be given that it uses 2 DPoT and 2 large Plaguebearer units

The big takeaway is Magnus is a MW generator and not to be used in combat. He tries to keep him out of range using a jump-shoot-jump strategy.

The other main part of the list are Deathguard vehicles that can shoot out of LOS so it has target saturation aspect. Those are durable too. In cover a 2+/5++/6+++ I think so it has strong elements, but I don't think it survives CA2019.

I really like it and would have me put Magnus on the table to try it out, but with points changes, I think I would need to change the TJ Lanigan list a lot before I tried so I'm still going to wait for our PA book.

Magnus is pretty particular in how he needs to be played (boomerang/slingshot), which means he is better towards soup. 1kS are basically 24" forward, and Magnus should be moving forward and Warping backward during psychic phase. I think it's Lanigan who does this style.

That said, he's over points no matter what way you look at it. Not tough as a knight, not as much damage as a knight, and more dependent on terrain than any other alternatives because of targeting rules.

One could argue the best psykers currently are Tigerius, Emperors Children s

Sorc with Relic, or a 1kS Terminator Sorcerer (+1 trait and familiar) to get away from the sliding scale. Unfortunately, I don't see anything significant happening to Magnus because we're too small a community (>GK) of an army for GW to care.

Not trying to be a downer but Magnus needs some work.

He does, and not to beat a dead horse, but I wish he was changed to the point of not hogging the same defensive powers. Oh, what powers are we gonna cast on magnus today? Hmm..bet you will never geuss!

Primarchs are pretty much in a league of their own imho. Not quite a knight, not quite a character less than 10 wounds, not quite a monstrous creature. I wouldnt mind a re-work, fundamental change on how they can be targeted or something similar to keep them alive beyond first turn, but also not be a complete game winning wrecking ball. Which...I sympathize with gw. How do you balance a friggen daemon primarch that can make warships crash into each other in space *see the attack on fenris books*.? A challenge, to be sure.

I would wish for:

1. new universal primarch rules. That help with targeting.

2. Magnus getting certain profile changes so he doesn't hog the same damn powers all the time.

Would it be too much of a stretch to have a defensive aura? Just as an example, he is minus one to hit or has a 3++(cannot be boosted to 2++). against shooting outside of 12". Makes him survivable from T1 long raised guns and frees up the +1 save power to be used on other units.

Edited by Ahzek451

In reference to the TJ Magnus use. Yes he did well, but I heard him interviewed and he admitted/saw a lot of fault in his list that either luck was on his side, or his opponent was unable or couldn't leverage the army's disadvantage. This is by his own admission. He talks at the end of the interview about how he'd like to see fixes for units he used. (it was a podcast, but can't remember which one... I just search for Thousand Sons content usually).

The enlightening thing to me was he was simply 'boomeranging' Magnus. Move out - mortal wound volly- jump back via Warp Time. Hide/stay out of range.

I've always loved the model, but you have a few tournaments/competitive games where you get hammered using a single large target like that and it tends to make you reluctant to play such a huge gamble. Extreme range shooting, and poison are just far too potent right now in 40K. 

I am slowly gravitating towards larger blobs of Rubrics and even termies. These units are part of what originally attracted me to Thousand Sons, and I've never been big on the goats, and I still am pretty confident saying they are at an all time low for functionality to me at the present time.

I know they went up a point though did something else happen to make Tzangors less viable? Their equivalents, like cultists, guard or other cannon fodder going down? Seems like I noticed people down on their functionality before the point increase. Edited by Skerr