Stormraven for Iron Hands worth it?

faithonwings

Good day to you Iron brothers. Currently I am assembling an Iron Hands flyer list. I have always wanted a dedicated flyer list but never got to liking eldar or dark eldar. Luckily it seems that right now IH have a good chance of doing just fine with there flyers. I have a bunch of stormtalons and stormhawk all ready to go. Right now I'm looking into adding other flyers. And that's where the trouble starts. after having 3 tallons and 3 hawk the rest seems a bit meh...

Is there any IH player that thinks otherwise. Is the Stormraven a good choice right now with all the IH bonusses. It still seems exepensive (point wise) for what it does. 

I think it is; my long plans to build and paint mine may finally bear fruit :P They're pricey yes but pack a wallop - they can zip in and do some serious damage, and absorb quite a bit too. As casb mentions you want to do a bit more than one thing with them (the Land Raider problem) as they're a bit expensive to do only one thing.

I'm thinking of loading it up with AT weapons and using the Devastator Doctrine to really put the hurt on some vehicles or the like. A squad of Tacs or maybe even Scouts can drop out to cause mischief and/or capture objectives. Add in a Dreadnought (because Iron Hands) if you want to do more, but only if you have a plan/the points :)

Solely as a flyer there are better choices I use mine as a troop carrier to get units where I want them quickly. The Xiphon is great AT and the Fire Raptor great against Infantry hordes, they will both hurt your wallet though.

Yes, FW is a pain in that regard. The fire raport has a bucket full of S5-6 shots but that is a roll the hawks and tallons allready fulfill with ease. I fail to see why the xiphon is great though. One Twinlascannon and 3 S6 shots 3 dmg each. Hawks and tallons can do the same thing cheaper I think.

Thanks on the info for the stormraven. It confirms what I was afraid off. Do you have any experience with the new stratagem to auto blow it up? Does it sound like a legit srategy to you?

I think it is; my long plans to build and paint mine may finally bear fruit :P They're pricey yes but pack a wallop - they can zip in and do some serious damage, and absorb quite a bit too. As casb mentions you want to do a bit more than one thing with them (the Land Raider problem) as they're a bit expensive to do only one thing.

I'm thinking of loading it up with AT weapons and using the Devastator Doctrine to really put the hurt on some vehicles or the like. A squad of Tacs or maybe even Scouts can drop out to cause mischief and/or capture objectives. Add in a Dreadnought (because Iron Hands) if you want to do more, but only if you have a plan/the points :)

Adding some scouts seems like a good and smart choice. But if you where to add more than that, wouldn't it paint an even larger target on it's back? Main struggle would be that you can ad a Leviathan or execusioner for about the same points. Less fluffy, but very lickely a lot better for a list.

It'd probably be target enough once it swoops in and deletes something! You'd want to deliver any bigger payload than Scouts quickly for sure, but the option is there if you want it. I'd try it out if nothing else because I've yet to, generally I like to keep costs down - boys before toys has always been my mantra :D

Plus it's not always about what is best, as there's things like mobility and such to consider. Also the Rule of Cool is the most important rule :P

Solely as a flyer there are better choices I use mine as a troop carrier to get units where I want them quickly. The Xiphon is great AT and the Fire Raptor great against Infantry hordes, they will both hurt your wallet though.

Yes, FW is a pain in that regard. The fire raport has a bucket full of S5-6 shots but that is a roll the hawks and tallons allready fulfill with ease. I fail to see why the xiphon is great though. One Twinlascannon and 3 S6 shots 3 dmg each. Hawks and tallons can do the same thing cheaper I think.

Thanks on the info for the stormraven. It confirms what I was afraid off. Do you have any experience with the new stratagem to auto blow it up? Does it sound like a legit srategy to you?

Used it for the first time last night against a Death Guard army it did a took a lot of damage without degredating and got my unit of Intercessors to where I wanted them over an objective. Shooting was OK but against a 5+++ army you don't expect large numbers of kills butr took out two of his Blight Haulers and kept them occupied and not killing anything else of mine.

Will definitely use again and maybe add a Dreadnought in to carry to take an objective.

Used it for the first time last night against a Death Guard army it did a took a lot of damage without degredating and got my unit of Intercessors to where I wanted them over an objective.

...Intercessors in a Stormraven? That thing can't carry any primaris. Which is why most people demoted it to a pure gunship.

For that, it's got a nice amount of guns, but T7 3+ feels a bit lacking to me. PotMS is wasted on IH, and the price tag is still rather high, so I'll skip it.

i think it is, with that shoot/explode when die stratagem they can be useful even if they get shoot off the table first turn.  carrying a ironclad dreadnought/CCcenturions  through opponent weakest flank is no joke, 

Shoudn't you at least have 2 of them with same units transported? One can easily be picked of the board I think.