Primaris Vs Knights

War Angel

So how do you kill them? 1250 point game vs three titans, kill points. Didn’t end well

By Titans do you mean Knights?

The smallest (and cheapest) Titan is the Warhound, which is 2000pts alone.

Against Knights, it somewhat depends on what you have:

• Repulsors/Executioners can pack in Lascannons/Lastalons, and the Executioner's main gun (either Heavy Laser or Plasma) are decent at dealing with heavy armour
  • Intercessor Sergeants with Thunder Hammers, particularly in large squads for ablative wounds, can pack a decent punch
  • Aggressor punches are also good, as they have a large enough volume of attacks to cause some pain. With enough Aggressors/the right Chapter Tactics/Doctrines, enough Aggressor shots will also do good damage (6 Ultramarines Aggressors with a Chapter Master and Lt should, on average, bring down a Questoris Knight!)
  • Suppressors and Plasma Inceptors can bring some mobile firepower, though they both have foibles (Suppressors have low Strength, and Inceptors are costly and risk blowing themselves up to properly bring down a Knight)

Pure Primaris armies will struggle to bring a good volume of long ranged anti-Knight firepower, but it's possible to bring them down.

Also: "1250 point game vs three titans, kill points" - that's a pretty :cuss thing for your opponent to bring. A pure Knight army is one hell of a skew anyway, as most armies can generally bring enough firepower to deal with one Knight, but three requires tailoring a list against it (which makes the game pretty boring: you either gun down their Knights quickly, or they resist and blow out your firepower in return) or you can't pack in enough and you get rolled; and at 1250 that's awful. Also also, kill points against Knights is a double whammy of rubbish: kill point games are awful, generally, and Knights are even more ridiculous in a kill point game. Play missions that have actual objectives besides killing things, and that will make games much more interesting, even against pure Knights.

Not easily. That is a bad match up for Marines in general - because Marines are expensive you need to play in larger points games to bring in the anti-tank. By the time you've got the troops, HQs, etc. you've already spent a lot of points.

You play with lots of LoS and win objectives, focusing on one Knight at a time.

There are units you can run to deal with this: Chaplain Dreads, Guilliman, Las Cannon spam, so on.

If you're going to play at 1250 then take 3 Contemptor Mortis with Las Cannons and Cyclones, and spam the rest on infantry and efficient HQs.

Edited by Ishagu

Are the Knights characters?

Play Raven Guard

Play Eliminators

Play Stalker Bolt Rifles

Play Aggressors and Chaplain: Canticle of Hate and Master of Ambush

I’d say play Smash Captains also but you said Primaris. Personally I have a extra Inceptor I’m thinking of converting into Smash Captain counts as for situations that isn’t appropriate for Shrike.

So how do you kill them? 1250 point game vs three titans, kill points. Didn’t end well

Simple, you assume the position and hope that the Knight Player is gentle.

Seriously, THREE Knights in a 1250 game that's Kill Points? Sir, you've just experienced "that guy".

Ishagu did have a good point though. The best way to deal with Knights as Marines is to bring heavy anti-armour. If you're refusing to use anything without the PRIMARIS keyword (which means all dreadnought btw), you're gonna struggle unless you spam Hellblasters.

I don't think any "Primaris only players" look strictly at the keyword. Because not only could they not take any dreadnoughts, they couldn't take any transports either. No vehicles has the keyword, even though we clearly identify the Redemptor and all Repulsor variants as Primaris vehicles.

That said, why would you play kill points vs a knights player?

Because it was round two of the tournament.

I’m not Primaris only, it’s just I don’t have a lot of the other stuff finished.

Also, the store doesn’t have enough LOS blocking terrain for 6 tables. That’s actually why he plays knights, “because if it’s going to be planet bowling alley, then I’ll just play this”

Because it was round two of the tournament.

I’m not Primaris only, it’s just I don’t have a lot of the other stuff finished.

Also, the store doesn’t have enough LOS blocking terrain for 6 tables. That’s actually why he plays knights, “because if it’s going to be planet bowling alley, then I’ll just play this”

Yep, this happens often. It's a different, lesser game without proper terrain.

Sounds like you need to tell the TO how they can improve. 1250, bad terrain and kill points are all unconducive to tournament play.

In terms of winning, it's probably mortis-spam or leviathans if they're not too points heavy, at the very least as iron hands descendants

• 2 weeks later...

Knight titans, sorry

This makes me cringe like godhammer landraider, or beaky Marines.

They are Knights. No part Titan.

I have been playing Imperial Knights lately and I think I would fear strong melee the most, if it could get in position. Knights have no invulnerable in close.

Edited by Lord Lorne Walkier

They are Knights. No part Titan.

Can't blame anyone for thinking that, that is/used to be written on the box when you bought one

That’s what I thought! Talked to the guy last night.... last Knight, and he said they use a titan STC or something.

Lore wise, there's always been a separation between Knights and "proper" titans, in that Titans are the machines used by the Titan Legions of the Collegia Titanica. So this means Warhounds and up are "proper titans" (though this definition is muddled a bit by some legions actually employing knights painted straight up in the Legions colours and not just being from an allied knight house). Current knight lore I believe have them as beginning as construction machines, that were then adapted into combat vehicles and used by nobility on worlds cut off from the rest of humanity and access to other wargear. This sets them apart from Titan Legion machines as those are desgined ground up to be war machines. (Though again, I think the Dominus pattern knights was designed as a war chassis from the start as well...)

Regardless, there are many points in lore that sepperate "Knights" from "Titans", and this has been the case for a long time. But this is still completely besides the point I was making just before, which is that that on the box of some of my knight kits, what's written is "Imperial Knight Titan", which I feel excuses anyone for thinking otherwise! (Though I think the word 'titan' has been dropped from all later kits' boxes)

EDIT: Oh yeah, another definitional difference between "Knights" and "Titans" that I've heard is that supposedly all true titans mount void shields. Knights instead utilizes ion shields, which means they aren't titans by this definiton either.

Edited by Reinhard

"Imperial Knight Titans" is exactly what they are...there is no debate or weird "cringe" culture to worry about. They're  small one man versions of Imperial Titans by definition and in lore.

Krash

Edited by Captain_Krash