The Siege of Terra: The First Wall

John French's Perturabo includes The Crimson Fist and Tallarn, in both of which he's.... angry. Angry and not particularly smart.

Haley's Perturabo explores his character in much greater depth and blends all that had come before into a coherent whole, where his shortcomings are deeply rooted in his upbringing, the way he was treated at home on Olypia and under the Emperor, and how his own martyr complex blinded him to his own deficits, his own antisocial behavior and the way he generally fails to make his voice heard.

In a way, he's in line with all the other Primarchs in terms of character flaws. Some of them even overlap with some of his brothers, as is usually the case.

Perturabo is just as much a product of his upbringing and homeworld's culture as the Lion, Russ, Angron, Curze, Guilliman, Sanguinius and all the rest. He was exploited and failed to learn the value of a father's affection, and carried the same prejudices (maybe rightly so) into the Imperium of Man.

And yet in Haleys, we have the travesty of a scene of him being a gullible, vain and ego craving idiot when Horus is showering him with praise and somehow convincing him he's different to all the others in one of the worst dialogues of the series.

I think DC is referring to the Primarch novella and not Perturabo in Lost and the Damned, which now that you've reminded me, is absolutely awful.

Edited by Marshal Loss

Perturabo definitely suffers from different authorial voices. I’m with Marshal Loss that French’s voice and concepts build over a series, the way Guy has done fantastic work with Cawl and Guilliman in 40k. It’s quite jarring to go from the Perturabo of StD and Solar War back to a different voice for LatD, and I imagine the First Wall will similarly feel disjointed, narrative. As for the on the ground details I fully expect Gav to bring his world building expertise into play here with all kinds of siege vehicles and assault formations which can only help us Siege enthusiasts build our armies.

Enjoyed both, Angels and Lorgar.

Though I don't expect it to be at the same level as others might be, I'm think it's gonna be a worth addition nonetheless.

I'm with Rohr that his world building is very good, so I'm hoping for some large scale stuff.

Thorpe is hit or miss, his work on the Phoenix Lord series was fabulous though and made Asurman and Jain Zar some of my favourite characters.

I also loved that he made servants of Slaanesh literally the escalation of the artistic body modifications of the pre-Fall. Not to mention his creating a timeline to how a harmless ball game devolved into modern witches.

He honestly seems worse with Astartes than Aeldari, but that might just be because few authors really engage with the latter while he has pretty much defined them. It is harder to write around conflicting visions (see McNeil's abomination of Fulgrim vs. Reynolds tragic hero Fulgrim or the countless different Perturabo's fighting for screentime at any given moment). 

I am hoping this one is one of his better, Rann is a really fun character and I want to see him continue to be an uncharacteristically funny IF.

• 2 weeks later...

If you guys are not into Thorpe's writing, but you've already got Solar War and The Lost and the Damned in your book shelf, and you plan to buy the future books written by Wraight, ABD and Abnett, are you really gonna skip this one out?  You want your book collection to be Siege of Terra books: I, II, IV, V, VI, VII & VIII?

I was surprised the cover of this one isn't Jaghatai Khan, as the first book was a picture of Rogal Dorn (and background), and the second was that of Sanguinius (and background). 

If you guys are not into Thorpe's writing, but you've already got Solar War and The Lost and the Damned in your book shelf, and you plan to buy the future books written by Wraight, ABD and Abnett, are you really gonna skip this one out?  You want your book collection to be Siege of Terra books: I, II, IV, V, VI, VII & VIII?

I was surprised the cover of this one isn't Jaghatai Khan, as the first book was a picture of Rogal Dorn (and background), and the second was that of Sanguinius (and background). 

I do a mix of paperback and hardback for my collecting, hardcover for the ones I really like / would read on its own, and softback for those I still enjoy but really only as part of the series. I grabbed a Solar War hardcover but will be content with a paper Lost and the Damned, so I've already taken the plunge on the gappy shelf.

People probably don't have to worry overmuch though, I'd expect the sheer momentum of the Siege to carry where Thorpe can't. Plus who knows, he might give us another Lorgar quality-wise (that's a good thing).

What I don't get is why each book only has one author. Wouldn't it make better sense for these books to have two writers to cover each others flaws?

I heard Guy Haley sometimes struggles in depicting Primarchs in an interesting way. Why wasn't he paired with somebody who specializes in those parts?

What I don't get is why each book only has one author. Wouldn't it make better sense for these books to have two writers to cover each others flaws?

I heard Guy Haley sometimes struggles in depicting Primarchs in an interesting way. Why wasn't he paired with somebody who specializes in those parts?

Because that's not how writing books works. Books with 2 authors are pitched by authors who form a writing team, like the Expanse. Its author's discretion. 

I do a mix of paperback and hardback for my collecting, hardcover for the ones I really like / would read on its own, and softback for those I still enjoy but really only as part of the series. I grabbed a Solar War hardcover but will be content with a paper Lost and the Damned, so I've already taken the plunge on the gappy shelf.

People probably don't have to worry overmuch though, I'd expect the sheer momentum of the Siege to carry where Thorpe can't. Plus who knows, he might give us another Lorgar quality-wise (that's a good thing).

Eek, not for me mate, I can't stand when I have an odd book in a collection... it ruins the book shelf aesthetics for me.

I have no fears about the quality of the content of book, it's not like I'm going to not get it.  It would be nice if Gav was able to pull another Lorgar-esque move.  

maybe people on this board can start co writing each other’s posts to cover each other’s flaws

• 2 weeks later...