The Siege of Terra: The First Wall

There is a really bad and memetastic lore dump in the link below. The OP is trying to make a lot of jokes about the material and it’s distracting but the basic events are there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/dx284x/interesting_bits_from_the_siege_of_terra_3_the/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Regarding the spoiler dump there:

That Khârn bit about his arm is at once funny and annoying. I like that they somehow explained why Khârn will fight through the millennia without a fully enclosed suit of power armour, whether in the eye, void or right there on the ground, but it may have been better just never addressed at all and accepted as one of the whacky 40k things that just are. I believe the Warsmith the dumper is referring to would be Kroeger, huh? He falls to Khorne as per Storm of Iron, if I remember correctly.

I'm very pleased with Layak being killed, though. Damn, he's been an annoying know-it-all so far.

Perturabo's actions seem very in-character - he needs someone to witness his achievements and lays hard into his martyr complex for it. He can't just triumph over Dorn, he needs Dorn to acknowledge his superiority.

John Grammaticus arriving sets the stage for Abnett's entry and doesn't surprise me. With John on Terra, Abnett can make Oll pop up on Saturn or somesuch and cover both Perpetual plotlines while giving us some tidbits on the solar war's scale, potentially some insights into the rearguard / worries about Guilliman, and Oll has to end up on Terra anyway. Grammaticus can offer intrigue on Terra, and will most assuredly get involved with Alivia Sureka again, who has already been scouted by Malcador, who will be quite interested in bringing Grammaticus to heel.

Quite liking the implication that maybe it wasn't just Keeler and co who would found the Imperial Creed post-Heresy/Scouring, but maybe Malcador may end up having a hand in preparing the stage for the Ecclesiarchy. Malcador the Sigillite, using the Lectitio Divinitatus to found the Proto-Ecclesiarchy, as a final, giant flipping off of Lorgar, who nearly broke him on Monarchia. That must be cathartic :')

I got my copy but the website felt incredibly heavy, sluggish and under serious pressure. Enthusiasm for the books certainly not waining. I’m dreading the Abnett and ADB release days it will be truly horrible.

The site went down entirely for half an hour, so you're lucky you got through!

Lmao everyone :cusss on Sigismund these days.

Tbf, that seems to just be the default existence of the loyalists.

Its gotten bad enough that Guilliman seems hard to buy as a threat and their only real challenge is them literally blowing up from being too OP to contain their own awesomeness.

Its kinda funny actually, alot of the loyalist legions have spent most of the HH either doing very little, desperately clawing pyrhhic victories or getting crushed. Now the Siege books seemed to have adhered pretty hard to that trend while making the Traitors even more power on the premise that its okay because Horus is going to explode. 

Don't know why, but I am starting to get bad 'ME3 Ending' vibes from the trend here. 

I originally did not really favor adding Scouring books to the docket, but I am starting to feel like I might need them to justify how on earth the Traitors ended up in the eye.

Edited by StrangerOrders

It didn't go down for me at all during the whole period it was on sale. Didn't even lag.

Lucky. They went down on all EU sites I tested after things went up today. GW even flashed the maintenance page for a while there.

Re: Spoilers, it looks like that reddit thread is already filled with people losing their minds about certain characters again. Basically boils down to Abaddon finally being a center character in the Siege and Sigismund not steamrolling everybody with pure ease while listening to Tschaikovsky and shouting catchphrases. That's the issue with stuff like Sigismund kill wishlisting we had going on here too a while back - it sets up unrealistic expectations.

Heck, you have folks literally saying that the Emperor and Malcador, the two greatest Psykers humanity has going for it, not understanding how the warp works at all, because fanwank and being able to read a Codex makes the observing fan a better judge of Chaos than characters within the setting that have spent 30 millennia fighting it....

It didn't go down for me at all during the whole period it was on sale. Didn't even lag.

Lucky. They went down on all EU sites I tested after things went up today. GW even flashed the maintenance page for a while there.

Re: Spoilers, it looks like that reddit thread is already filled with people losing their minds about certain characters again. Basically boils down to Abaddon finally being a center character in the Siege and Sigismund not steamrolling everybody with pure ease while listening to Tschaikovsky and shouting catchphrases. That's the issue with stuff like Sigismund kill wishlisting we had going on here too a while back - it sets up unrealistic expectations.

Heck, you have folks literally saying that the Emperor and Malcador, the two greatest Psykers humanity has going for it, not understanding how the warp works at all, because fanwank and being able to read a Codex makes the observing fan a better judge of Chaos than characters within the setting that have spent 30 millennia fighting it....

Again, going anywhere with Sigismund is really hard to do as far as kills. 

Mostly because Traitors tend to either be killed off very quickly or (more commonly) already be active/daemonic in 40k, I am not entirely sure that list can have anyone of note except maybe for Little Horus.

The Reddit response seems pretty standard for a series reaching its conclusion. The Heresy is honestly far too many things to far too many people at this point to please everyone. With that in mind, I'm glad BL is trying to take it in it's own direction rather than pandering. While I do think some of those Khârn spoilers are a headscratcher, I'll wait to read the book before passing judgment.

That being said, I really don't like Abaddon already being treated as the chosen of Chaos. He always struck me as impressive because he came back from nothing, all his feats are works of incredible willpower, cunning, and determination. Stuff like him being immune to Morty's fumes in LatD sort of casts doubt on basically everything he's accomplished, when the gods may have been doing the heavy lifting all along.

The Reddit response seems pretty standard for a series reaching its conclusion. The Heresy is honestly far too many things to far too many people at this point to please everyone. With that in mind, I'm glad BL is trying to take it in it's own direction rather than pandering. While I do think some of those Khârn spoilers are a headscratcher, I'll wait to read the book before passing judgment.

That being said, I really don't like Abaddon already being treated as the chosen of Chaos. He always struck me as impressive because he came back from nothing, all his feats are works of incredible willpower, cunning, and determination. Stuff like him being immune to Morty's fumes in LatD sort of casts doubt on basically everything he's accomplished, when the gods may have been doing the heavy lifting all along.

In fairness, while it was not great, I enjoyed LatD much more than I thought I would based on the spoiler chat. Context does tend to alot of favours, so it could be much stronger than we are guessing.

Abaddon is... well lets be honest he is extremely tricky. He has done so much in the lore over the decades, fueled by the fact that codexes are written to be insanely over-the-top, that actually trying to explain him is sort of a suicide pact. He is literally unimaginably successful, charismatic and powerful, trying to write that (much less explain it, like BL is trying to) is borderline impossible. That much of his prior characterization in the HH after his great first outing in Horus Rising essentially boils him down to angry sapient-topknot really does this turn no favors.

I honestly think that the best approach with him is what ADB does, namely to use him sparingly and explore more how he affects others. Because you can use perception and event-disconnects to make up for things that you cannot actually convey well (describing his fighting style is borderline memetic these days). 

Without using those kind of tricks, you sort of fall into a pit of the writer not being as clever or charismatic as a several century year old warlord and you are left with contrivances to make up for it. Which in BL parlance basically means often means to attribute everything to the 'laughing dark gods' or shouting 'fate' at the top of your proverbial lungs, they seem to have done both with Abbadon. 

I am hedging my hopes on Abnett and ADB being the anchors to this thread, since both have written him very well in the past. If anyone can make this angle good, I trust that duo to do it.

Not crazy about the 'its pandering' or 'they do not owe us anything' attitudes though. Its one thing to to say that no one should be openly rude, much less threatening, but it is quite another ignore that the community has made many of their books best sellers and that many of us have sunk a fortune into the miniature. Its less about pandering, debt or obligation, the tone should really be more about achieving a mutually fulfilling symbiosis between the company and the customers. 

Not surprising, Sigismund is a character that seems to attract a lot of people only interested in him for POWER LEVEL reasons. Even if from that spoiler quote it seems pretty obvious he's still going through his character arc and not yet at "final form", it won't be enough for many.

Reddit is saying Sigismund

will get some kind of power up by becoming the Emperor’s champion but the only authors left to cover him at Abnett, French, Wraight, and ADB and only Abnett *might* go the power up route. French, ADB, and Wraight will not. They’d just do him getting his conviction back. And hopefully a Darth Vader hallway scene.
Edited by Kelborn
added spoiler tags

Not crazy about the 'its pandering' or 'they do not owe us anything' attitudes though. Its one thing to to say that no one should be openly rude, much less threatening, but it is quite another ignore that the community has made many of their books best sellers and that many of us have sunk a fortune into the miniature. Its less about pandering, debt or obligation, the tone should really be more about achieving a mutually fulfilling symbiosis between the company and the customers. 

Oh, certainly, I don't advocate for actively spiting your audience. I just mean that, well, there's probably someone out there for whom Kyme's Salamanders trilogy is their favourite part of the Heresy. So many books and so many writers over so many years means that two people can agree they enjoy the series while simultaneously being completely at odds over what there actually is to enjoy. 

In the opening trilogy alone, people like myself consider Horus Rising to be excellent, False Gods to be a stumbling but well-meaning follow-up, and Galaxy in Flames to be a complete dropping of the ball due to Counter's questionable writing abilities. But some people, Scribe for instance, would skip Horus Rising altogether if they could, be it for considering Abnett overrated or disliking his penchant for hijacking the series for his own ideas. Some people read more for plot than execution, and consider all three on roughly the same footing. Some people like Tymell consider False Gods to be one of the series' absolute worst, and others think Galaxy in Flames is the best of the trilogy because it doesn't have the same self-importance of the other two.

51 more books later, and there is no possible way for the Siege to land for the majority of the fanbase. I love the series but the way they went about releasing it has quite literally set them up for failure. At this point I think it's better they prioritize telling a good story than one that will appeal to the fanbase. YMMV on how successful that's been, of course.

Sigismund confronts Khârn and the two duel. Sigismund is clearly the more skilled fighter but all his techniques and experience are nothing to the Warp enhanced strength of Khârn. Khârn overruns and overpowers Sigismund. Sigismund realises that while he is the best of all the legionaries in battle, he isn't fighting a legionary. He is fighting a champion of the Dark Gods. To rise and fight beings such as Khârn he must embrace what Keeler told him and become the Emperor's champion. Before Khârn could finish Sigismund, Dorn lands on the battlefield and begins to walk forward and survey the situation. Khârn charges and leaps at the pimarch. Dorn not even bothering to look at Khârn, casually swats him away sending him flying out of view. Sigismund is dragged away to safety by his comrades.

I look forward to how they develop this

Quite a posse in this picture

75388489_2491632677538853_29342187320309

Bring on the "Me and the boys" Heresy memes :biggrin.:

“dark gods don’t fail me now! C’mon, big money! Big money!”

Pict capture of traitor Astartes playing dice in the storage bay of the Vengeful Spirit during a lull in the Siege of Terra