Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Siege of Terra: The First Wall

• Please log in to reply
311 replies to this topic

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,693 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

That's a surprise. Look forward to seeing the portrait of Lorgar

rCsoqE7.png

Emperor's Children 22ᶮᵈ Millennial

Sons of Horus 29th Company

Preliminary Bombardment

Preliminary Bombardment

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 184 posts
Tomorrow morning is order time right lads? Will set alarm

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,693 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

Quite a posse in this picture

75388489_2491632677538853_29342187320309

• fire golem, Imren, Tymell and 4 others like this

rCsoqE7.png

Emperor's Children 22ᶮᵈ Millennial

Sons of Horus 29th Company

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,223 posts
  • Faction: Do bookmarks count?
That's my favorite one.
Like a freaking metal band of Chaos.
  • Marshal Loss and JH79 like this

Lost Legion, the Predators                                                     Liber Astartes Swap Challenge 2019   

tn_gallery_87379_12273_68539.jpg gallery_26154_15777_13780.png 

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

Let us avoid it, alright?

Imren

Imren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 697 posts
  • Faction: Legio XX

Not up yet for central European time, but copies still available if you live in New Zeeland.

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,660 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
There is a really bad and memetastic lore dump in the link below. The OP is trying to make a lot of jokes about the material and it’s distracting but the basic events are there.

https://www.reddit.c...utm_name=iossmf
  • StrangerOrders likes this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,505 posts

Regarding the spoiler dump there:

Spoiler

• StrangerOrders likes this

Knockagh

Knockagh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,195 posts
I got my copy but the website felt incredibly heavy, sluggish and under serious pressure. Enthusiasm for the books certainly not waining. I’m dreading the Abnett and ADB release days it will be truly horrible.

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,793 posts
Lmao everyone :cusss on Sigismund these days.

Edited by Sete, 16 November 2019 - 01:41 PM.

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,505 posts

I got my copy but the website felt incredibly heavy, sluggish and under serious pressure. Enthusiasm for the books certainly not waining. I’m dreading the Abnett and ADB release days it will be truly horrible.

The site went down entirely for half an hour, so you're lucky you got through!

Angel_of_Blood

Angel_of_Blood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 288 posts

It didn't go down for me at all during the whole period it was on sale. Didn't even lag.

• DANNDANN likes this

StrangerOrders

StrangerOrders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 596 posts
  • Faction: 40k: CW, SW, BA. 30k: EC, TS

Lmao everyone :cusss on Sigismund these days.

Tbf, that seems to just be the default existence of the loyalists.

Its gotten bad enough that Guilliman seems hard to buy as a threat and their only real challenge is them literally blowing up from being too OP to contain their own awesomeness.

Its kinda funny actually, alot of the loyalist legions have spent most of the HH either doing very little, desperately clawing pyrhhic victories or getting crushed. Now the Siege books seemed to have adhered pretty hard to that trend while making the Traitors even more power on the premise that its okay because Horus is going to explode. 

Don't know why, but I am starting to get bad 'ME3 Ending' vibes from the trend here. 

I originally did not really favor adding Scouring books to the docket, but I am starting to feel like I might need them to justify how on earth the Traitors ended up in the eye.

Edited by StrangerOrders, 16 November 2019 - 04:45 PM.

• Karthak and Sete like this

Have a lovely daybiggrin.png

Incidentally, I like to commit the cardinal sin of writing fanfiction: https://forums.space.../#post-41266642

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,505 posts

It didn't go down for me at all during the whole period it was on sale. Didn't even lag.

Lucky. They went down on all EU sites I tested after things went up today. GW even flashed the maintenance page for a while there.

Re: Spoilers, it looks like that reddit thread is already filled with people losing their minds about certain characters again. Basically boils down to Abaddon finally being a center character in the Siege and Sigismund not steamrolling everybody with pure ease while listening to Tschaikovsky and shouting catchphrases. That's the issue with stuff like Sigismund kill wishlisting we had going on here too a while back - it sets up unrealistic expectations.

Heck, you have folks literally saying that the Emperor and Malcador, the two greatest Psykers humanity has going for it, not understanding how the warp works at all, because fanwank and being able to read a Codex makes the observing fan a better judge of Chaos than characters within the setting that have spent 30 millennia fighting it....

• Kelborn likes this

StrangerOrders

StrangerOrders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 596 posts

Lucky. They went down on all EU sites I tested after things went up today. GW even flashed the maintenance page for a while there.

Re: Spoilers, it looks like that reddit thread is already filled with people losing their minds about certain characters again. Basically boils down to Abaddon finally being a center character in the Siege and Sigismund not steamrolling everybody with pure ease while listening to Tschaikovsky and shouting catchphrases. That's the issue with stuff like Sigismund kill wishlisting we had going on here too a while back - it sets up unrealistic expectations.

Heck, you have folks literally saying that the Emperor and Malcador, the two greatest Psykers humanity has going for it, not understanding how the warp works at all, because fanwank and being able to read a Codex makes the observing fan a better judge of Chaos than characters within the setting that have spent 30 millennia fighting it....

Again, going anywhere with Sigismund is really hard to do as far as kills. 

Mostly because Traitors tend to either be killed off very quickly or (more commonly) already be active/daemonic in 40k, I am not entirely sure that list can have anyone of note except maybe for Little Horus.

Incidentally, I like to commit the cardinal sin of writing fanfiction: https://forums.space.../#post-41266642

Roomsky

Roomsky

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,034 posts

The Reddit response seems pretty standard for a series reaching its conclusion. The Heresy is honestly far too many things to far too many people at this point to please everyone. With that in mind, I'm glad BL is trying to take it in it's own direction rather than pandering. While I do think some of those Khârn spoilers are a headscratcher, I'll wait to read the book before passing judgment.

That being said, I really don't like Abaddon already being treated as the chosen of Chaos. He always struck me as impressive because he came back from nothing, all his feats are works of incredible willpower, cunning, and determination. Stuff like him being immune to Morty's fumes in LatD sort of casts doubt on basically everything he's accomplished, when the gods may have been doing the heavy lifting all along.

• Sons of Horus, DarkChaplain, Karthak and 5 others like this

My webcomic, "Human," can be read here.

[WARHAMMER IS FOR EVERYONE]

DANNDANN

DANNDANN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7 posts

Indeed, I got straight through for this and the sisters army set.

DINOthedinosauer

DINOthedinosauer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts
Still up in America

StrangerOrders

StrangerOrders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 596 posts

The Reddit response seems pretty standard for a series reaching its conclusion. The Heresy is honestly far too many things to far too many people at this point to please everyone. With that in mind, I'm glad BL is trying to take it in it's own direction rather than pandering. While I do think some of those Khârn spoilers are a headscratcher, I'll wait to read the book before passing judgment.

That being said, I really don't like Abaddon already being treated as the chosen of Chaos. He always struck me as impressive because he came back from nothing, all his feats are works of incredible willpower, cunning, and determination. Stuff like him being immune to Morty's fumes in LatD sort of casts doubt on basically everything he's accomplished, when the gods may have been doing the heavy lifting all along.

In fairness, while it was not great, I enjoyed LatD much more than I thought I would based on the spoiler chat. Context does tend to alot of favours, so it could be much stronger than we are guessing.

Abaddon is... well lets be honest he is extremely tricky. He has done so much in the lore over the decades, fueled by the fact that codexes are written to be insanely over-the-top, that actually trying to explain him is sort of a suicide pact. He is literally unimaginably successful, charismatic and powerful, trying to write that (much less explain it, like BL is trying to) is borderline impossible. That much of his prior characterization in the HH after his great first outing in Horus Rising essentially boils him down to angry sapient-topknot really does this turn no favors.

I honestly think that the best approach with him is what ADB does, namely to use him sparingly and explore more how he affects others. Because you can use perception and event-disconnects to make up for things that you cannot actually convey well (describing his fighting style is borderline memetic these days). 

Without using those kind of tricks, you sort of fall into a pit of the writer not being as clever or charismatic as a several century year old warlord and you are left with contrivances to make up for it. Which in BL parlance basically means often means to attribute everything to the 'laughing dark gods' or shouting 'fate' at the top of your proverbial lungs, they seem to have done both with Abbadon. 

I am hedging my hopes on Abnett and ADB being the anchors to this thread, since both have written him very well in the past. If anyone can make this angle good, I trust that duo to do it.

Not crazy about the 'its pandering' or 'they do not owe us anything' attitudes though. Its one thing to to say that no one should be openly rude, much less threatening, but it is quite another ignore that the community has made many of their books best sellers and that many of us have sunk a fortune into the miniature. Its less about pandering, debt or obligation, the tone should really be more about achieving a mutually fulfilling symbiosis between the company and the customers. 

• LetsYouDown and Roomsky like this

Fedor

Fedor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 310 posts

Not surprising, Sigismund is a character that seems to attract a lot of people only interested in him for POWER LEVEL reasons. Even if from that spoiler quote it seems pretty obvious he's still going through his character arc and not yet at "final form", it won't be enough for many.

• DarkChaplain likes this

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,660 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

Reddit is saying Sigismund

Spoiler

Edited by Kelborn, 17 November 2019 - 07:26 AM.
added spoiler tags

• DarkChaplain likes this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Roomsky

Roomsky

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,034 posts

Not crazy about the 'its pandering' or 'they do not owe us anything' attitudes though. Its one thing to to say that no one should be openly rude, much less threatening, but it is quite another ignore that the community has made many of their books best sellers and that many of us have sunk a fortune into the miniature. Its less about pandering, debt or obligation, the tone should really be more about achieving a mutually fulfilling symbiosis between the company and the customers. 

Oh, certainly, I don't advocate for actively spiting your audience. I just mean that, well, there's probably someone out there for whom Kyme's Salamanders trilogy is their favourite part of the Heresy. So many books and so many writers over so many years means that two people can agree they enjoy the series while simultaneously being completely at odds over what there actually is to enjoy. 

In the opening trilogy alone, people like myself consider Horus Rising to be excellent, False Gods to be a stumbling but well-meaning follow-up, and Galaxy in Flames to be a complete dropping of the ball due to Counter's questionable writing abilities. But some people, Scribe for instance, would skip Horus Rising altogether if they could, be it for considering Abnett overrated or disliking his penchant for hijacking the series for his own ideas. Some people read more for plot than execution, and consider all three on roughly the same footing. Some people like Tymell consider False Gods to be one of the series' absolute worst, and others think Galaxy in Flames is the best of the trilogy because it doesn't have the same self-importance of the other two.

51 more books later, and there is no possible way for the Siege to land for the majority of the fanbase. I love the series but the way they went about releasing it has quite literally set them up for failure. At this point I think it's better they prioritize telling a good story than one that will appeal to the fanbase. YMMV on how successful that's been, of course.

• Huggtand, Lucerne, DarkChaplain and 7 others like this

My webcomic, "Human," can be read here.

[WARHAMMER IS FOR EVERYONE]

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,288 posts
Spoiler

I look forward to how they develop this

Tymell

Tymell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 695 posts

Bring on the "Me and the boys" Heresy memes biggrin.png

• Lord_Caerolion and Marshal Loss like this
---------------------------
(On-going) HH project, characters, timeline points, ships - https://sites.google...ellsheresy/home

Feel free to PM in case of missing info or sudden but inevitable errors!

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,419 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Bring on the "Me and the boys" Heresy memes biggrin.png

“dark gods don’t fail me now! C’mon, big money! Big money!”

Pict capture of traitor Astartes playing dice in the storage bay of the Vengeful Spirit during a lull in the Siege of Terra

• RolandTHTG, Huggtand, stretch_135 and 3 others like this

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

I_Am_IronSam

I_Am_IronSam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 31 posts

I didn't know the procedure for getting a LE copy of this. Was relying on the Black Library email to fill me, which it didn't... 

Checking on eBay and people are selling 3 or 4 copies each for >£110... Seems a little unfair to me...  

• Knockagh likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users