Seekers and combi-weapons

I mixed in a handful of Combi plasmas in with my Blood Angel seekers and they gave a nice reliable Alpha Strike from a pod before switching to the heavy rounds or running off somewhere. The others seem a bit of a waste in a Seeker squad imho though emergency melta isnt per sec.

I run a suicide squad of 5 in a bare bones rhino.

Each one got a combi-plasma and it’s a surprisingly cheap unit at ~200pts for what it accomplished last game.

The others seem a bit of a waste in a Seeker squad imho though emergency melta isnt per sec.

TBF, tank hunting vets are a probably better use of combi-melta as they’re hitting at Str 9 and are still scoring... if they survive (mine are yet too).

Edited by Thyam

TBF, tank hunting vets are a probably better use of combi-melta as they’re hitting at Str 9 and are still scoring... if they survive (mine are yet too).

Yup, thus emergency Melta as our group still ran dreadnoughts, wards the buggers off while you focus on slotting infantry with the seekers ;) 

I run a suicide squad of 5 in a bare bones rhino.

Each one got a combi-plasma and it’s a surprisingly cheap unit at ~200pts for what it accomplished last game.

The others seem a bit of a waste in a Seeker squad imho though emergency melta isnt per sec.

Seekers are scoring, I think it was updated in the last FAQ. But I agree, melta vets are a better tank hunting option, and have some more tactical flexibility, are cheaper, and pack more of a punch in melee.

I tend to make use of the fact that seekers have a dedicated land raider proteus as a transport option, especially since you can now take an additional hull mounted Lascannon. This combines nicely with the recon company RoW and infiltrate mutable tactics, although it’s perhaps a less attractive option for other legions. I tend to load it up with plasma seekers and use it as counter strike unit rather than an alpha strike unit. I find that tactic more useful against assault heavy armies such as custodes.

Cadmus

• 2 weeks later...

I'm made a squad of Seekers (6 members now, 8 in some weeks, maybe 10) and i want to put some combi weapons in that unit.

Any recommendations, or suggestions?

The best answer is.....magnetise! :smile.: Use 2 mm diameter magnets (go for strength N50 of N52) that are 1 or 2 mm deep and with a 2 mm drill bit you drill the wrists and the hands sculpted on the weapons.

If you don't know what kind of game you will play with them in an all-comers list, then go combi-plasma. Statistically you will face other legions lists and plasma are most efficient against other legion lists.

If you know you will face infantry heavy militia or solar auxilia lists and/or play ZM games them go flamers.

In some circumstances meltaguns is good too, keep in mind that many strong vehicles that legion players tend to choose for their armies have the option of ceramite armour and if a vehicle can have it, then most players buy that option, so melta is not much of use when facing sicarans, spartans with ceramite armour. Since the melta rule only works within 6" distance with meltaguns/combimelta, you rather have the squad either deepstriking with a warmonger or have them in a transport and move in for the kill. Obviosuly they need to be very close to their target to get use of the melta-rule.

If you use them against ceramite armour equipped enemy vehicles. Then you might as well be within 12" since melta rule is negated with ceramite armour.

I find that tactically, melta weapons are most efficient and versatile as the bigger multimelta variant that is carried on very mobile units such as javelins, scimitars and attack bikes. Then you will have most tactical flexibility and you will be less impaired with the relative short range of meltaguns and combimeltas.

Edited by Imren