Sisters of Silence update

Other change is the Rhino is apparently fast attack (Or was it always?) also minimum 2 squads v 3 to a Detachment.

that last bit sounds like wish listing / trolling....  they where changed (as Sairence points out above) in CA17 to not need a HQ for the elites (vanguard) detachment but then dont grant a CP

Rhinos as FA makes no sense plus everyother user of them has them as transports

from the Index:imperium 2 errata on WHC

Pages 110 and 111 – Prosecutors, Vigilators, Witchseekers and Null-Maiden Rhino, Abilities Add the following ability: ‘Null Maidens: So long as your Warlord is from the Imperium, you can include this unit in a Vanguard Detachment even if that Detachment contains no HQ units. However, if you do so, that Detachment’s Command Benefits are changed to ‘None’.’

This is still in magenta so no, nothing other than this ...

Edited by Slasher956

Yup.  Not gonna lie, it looks like GW is holding off a few really big reveals for the PA release.  My guess:

Vulkan comes back from the warp, at the head of the Sisters of Battle, flanked by all new SoS, who will incorporate into the SoB.  I think that's why they are saving Salamanders for last.  I am not sure how Black Templars will fit in, because they are very anti-psyker.   

When did SoS get changed in chapter approved? Other change is the Rhino is apparently fast attack (Or was it always?) also minimum 2 squads v 3 to a Detachment.

The rhino is still a transport. The vanguard detachment change is 0-2 HQs (rather than 1-2 HQs). You still need the same number of elites and you get no command points without the HQ.

I don't really know why people want the SoS included in the SoB roster...it makes no sense to me fluff-wise, they're completely different organisation, one being the military arm of the Ecclesiarchy, the other manning the Black Ships and being closer to the very independent Custodes than anything else.

Did Assassins get strats in their little mini dex? I missed that issue.

My theory is that when the Inquisition come in November, they will get relics and warlord traits as they do have HQ choices; they will also get Strats. They will have rules integration similar to the Ynarri, meaning that they can join any Imperial Detachment without causing other units to lose their benefits OR it can assume command of the detachment, granting the appropriate Ordo trait to other units so that they may use Inquisition benefits.

Also, my store guy said that the new Ynarri will place fewer restrictions on other units, meaning they will be able to use at least some of their previous faction traits as well as the Ynarri ones. The details should be up soon because the book is out today. But I think that the Inquisition mechanic will clone the Ynarri one including any updates.

This would actually make null maiden vanguards really interesting; like the mercenary units of DE have less to lose by joining Ynarri, SoS will have less to lose by joining Inquisition.

As for a reaction to the SoS content in the WD, there was useful material in there despite the like of rules; The organizational structure- Vigils coverieng a region that are then subdivided into Cadres based on roles and responsibilities- that's pretty cool. The confirmation that, though they are Astra Telepathica, their role within the organization is strange, and that while they can fight with Primaris HQ's, it's usually more common that they don't in order to avoid compromising their companions.

Heck, the Inquisition even got mentioned in their fluff. The art work, photos and the short story was decent. I also like having a few named vigils with color schemes. This is a foundation that can be built on, whereas the index didn't give us much to work with. 

I don't really know why people want the SoS included in the SoB roster...it makes no sense to me fluff-wise, they're completely different organisation, one being the military arm of the Ecclesiarchy, the other manning the Black Ships and being closer to the very independent Custodes than anything else.

I'm not sure anyone wants them to be in the SoB dex.

While they are separate organizations, there is plenty of potential of potential for overlap; both have the hunting of witches as a core duty. In addition to being the armoured fist of the Ecclesiarchy, the SoB are also the Chamber Militant of the Ordo Hereticus. The WD Index mentions ties between the SoS and the Inquisition as well. It's also very clear that there is far more to the SoS than the Black Ships.

You're right about the independence part though; they are described as operating independently of their Astra Telepathica command more often than not.

And BTW @librisrouge- The 0-2 that you are refering to is HQ spots, not Elite spots. The Vanguard still requires 3 elites, but it is now allowed to contain 0-2 HQ's. It is the rule that makes the HQ-less Vanguard legal. It is reworded from the Megenta type in the Imperial Index 2 FAQ.  

It's going to be ages until an Eisenhorn show will be reality. They announced it as being in one of the earliest planning stages.

I don't know where you are seeing that. The null maidens rule changes the HQ requirements to 0-2, but not the elites requirement.

Yet to pick up my copy, so a question. The Warhammer Community preview said "Learn how to paint the Sisters of Silence – not just in their traditional gold armour, but in the colours of many different cadres of the elite warriors." Are there any interesting variations? New colour schemes? Lore?

Thanks!

there are three or four different cadres with names, bit of history fluff, and unique color schemes. 

the rules are as mentioned previously and fairly unchanged from previous stats. 

I'm glad they haven't been forgotten but this isn't the "codex" we are waiting for. 

bolter discipline, a character, rules for the kharon pattern acquisitor, prosecutor squads, and a couple stratagems, are still not available sadly. 

might home-brew a rule set for the missing bits and see how they run on a table-top at a friendly match. 

hopefully we'll see some inclusion with a Talons book, but I'm not holding my breath. 

there are three or four different cadres with names, bit of history fluff, and unique color schemes.

the rules are as mentioned previously and fairly unchanged from previous stats.

I'm glad they haven't been forgotten but this isn't the "codex" we are waiting for.

bolter discipline, a character, rules for the kharon pattern acquisitor, prosecutor squads, and a couple stratagems, are still not available sadly.

might home-brew a rule set for the missing bits and see how they run on a table-top at a friendly match.

hopefully we'll see some inclusion with a Talons book, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for the update. Good to know. Fingers crossed for a proper update in future, maybe as part of the Psychic Awakening.

• 2 weeks later...
Just read through it and I’m shaking my head wondering why GW doesn’t want to sell these models. Roll them in with Custodes and they become an autoinclude in TotE lists. I have like 20 or 30 unassembled SoS who will remain unassembled till I have a reason to use them.

Mainly because that happens, you completely shut down psychic armies, and then you have Eldar players B&Ming all over the forums.  Honestly what is the difficulty right now, as they have it?  A leaderless vanguard slot with dirt cheap anti-psyker units and even cheaper transports.  But no, GW doesn't want them to play well.  There is little if any offensive reason to take anything besides the bolters.  Flamers are a joke and the S4 melee units?  Yawn.  No, I'll take 150pt vanguards of anti-psyker Bolter babes all day.

So I brought some yesterday against a Chaos Demons list...the variant with Demon Princes, Ahriman, some Nurgle psyker and lots of plaguebearers.

As part of my list I had a Culexus and 3 squads of 5 Prosecutors with Bolters.

They definitely worked well...my opponent kept his psykers back for the most part and had very limited targets for his offensive spells...usually stuff like Guardsmen that I didn't mind getting hit. The one time he did move a Demon Prince forward to snipe out some of my characters for the mission it got hit with a -5 to cast and deny and got very little done.

The Assassins and the Sisters also managed to snipe out Ahriman.

I did learn that I need to be more aggressive in pushing thr bubble forward. Deploy them in cover for a 2+, but then start moving them forward to push his casters further back or shut them down entirely.

So the Bolters work fine. The other versions are unfortunately too expensive and need to be too close to opponents to make use of their weapons. T3 with 1W just isn't good enough for that.

Edited by sairence

SoS could do with a blanket -1 to hit against their infantry...

for fluff reasons you could make it 12" or less and they get the mod.

It would be close enough that their blank aura affects the shooter... as its their aura thats why I wouldnt apply it to vehicles