Titanicus - Dan Abnett

Whitelion

Hi guys, did you read Dan Abnett's Titanicus? Some friends recommended it to me, I just bought it. They recommended it for the presence of an almost invincible Titan Imperator, they told me that they had to use a forbidden method to lower their shields otherwise they wouldn't destroy it.

Have you read the book?

Hi Whitelion!

I think your friend made a great recommendation. Titanicus is a great book, one of my favorite from Dan Abnett. It has great characters, some thrilling twists, and exciting titan-on-titan combat. The princepses and moderatii are nicely written, but Abnett made some of the best "regular human" imperial personnel in the whole 40k universe in Titanicus.

And the book has a toy shop with lil' titans in it :wink:

One of the first BL books I ever read..... 'Titanicus' is awesome:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hmm, will there be an audiobook version of this one?

Probably not:sad.: It's an old (old for BL that is) and in re-reprint. Too bad to.....  

One of the first BL books I ever read..... 'Titanicus' is awesome:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Probably not:sad.: It's an old (old for BL that is) and in re-reprint. Too bad to.....  

Well we did just get Brothers of the Snake & Double Eagle as an Audiobooks in August & September... i think BL announced that they were going to start working on giving older series / books the audio treatment, like the Night Lords trilogy for example which just had the second book released... given these factors i would like to think that it's just a matter of time for Abnett's Titanicus :rolleyes:

Yep, we've already had the Titanicus paperback reprint last year to coincide with the FW game, although their audio production team seems to have been rather busy around that time, due to some major projects (like Gotrek: Realmslayer and Our Martyred Lady). Chances are we'll get the audio sometime out of the blue when Adeptus Titanicus gets its next big thing released.

Well we did just get Brothers of the Snake & Double Eagle as an Audiobooks in August & September... i think BL announced that they were going to start working on giving older series / books the audio treatment, like the Night Lords trilogy for example which just had the second book released... given these factors i would like to think that it's just a matter of time for Abnett's Titanicus :rolleyes:

Thanks for that..... clearly I need to start paying more attention to the new releases:blush.:

There was mention of Titanicus 2 along with Pariah 2, no?

I know Mr. Dan has 'Interceptor City' (sequel to 'Double Eagle') in the works, but I'm not aware of a 'Titanicus' sequel. Personally, I hope he leaves it alone. 'Titanicus' was a perfect standalone novel (Abnett at his best). Somehow a sequel to this book feels like having seconds after a perfect meal.... leaving one slightly bloated and frustrated at not leaving well enough alone.

….. and to veer back on course, Brother Whitelion, read 'Titanicus':yes: I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

It's an excellent book, one of Abnett's finest in my opinion. I've read it at least three times, and thoroughly enjoyed each reading.

It does a superb job of tackling not only Titan on Titan combat, but the hierarchy of the Imperial fighting mechanism itself. The story is told through multiple perspectives and viewpoints, but flows organically and is an engrossing read. It was also one of the first (and few) books to focus on Battle Titans, whereas most other books of its time focused on Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Chaos, etc., so it was quite different from the "standard" BL book when it first came out.

Well worth a read.