Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Next Week: Blood of the Phoenix [Psychic Awakening]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
378 replies to this topic

BolterZorro

BolterZorro

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 810 posts

thank you.  I'm new to eldars and drukhari. Well, a bit less new to eldar. 

But what are those units worth? Are they good? playable? useless?

Mekhitar

Mekhitar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 514 posts
  • Faction: Ashen Wing, Mercurial Legion
The extra DE models are the good stuff in this box - some of them aren’t in the DE boxes yet.

Do you hear the people sing?

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,884 posts

Im expecting end of the month tbh.
Psy book 1 might even release first lol

It seems I was right, PA before IF, and IF end of the month.

Edited by Sete, 06 October 2019 - 06:51 PM.

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,701 posts

thank you. I'm new to eldars and drukhari. Well, a bit less new to eldar.

Both the Craftworld and Drukhari books are notable for not really having any bad units - the question is “what’s your standard for “good/playable”?

If it’s “rock hard at a GT or Major level event”, nothing in there is featuring in top meta lists except maybe the Venom. If it’s “do well at my store’s RTT” it’s all fine if not necessarily the best for its slot/role. If it’s “playing casually but don’t want to feel like I’m just handicapping myself”, you’re golden.

Edited by wildweasel, 06 October 2019 - 06:52 PM.

• mithrilforge likes this

Nemesor Tyriks

Nemesor Tyriks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,595 posts

thank you.  I'm new to eldars and drukhari. Well, a bit less new to eldar. 

They said new datasheets for the units in the box so we won't know until we see those.

Shield-Captain

Shield-Captain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 104 posts
  • Faction: Adeptus Custodes

No update to the Ynnari rules is a real bummer considering how bad they are now. Didn't really mention Harlequins at all though. 

Edited by Shield-Captain, 06 October 2019 - 06:59 PM.

• Legionnaire of the VIIth likes this

23.jpg

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,913 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

The reddit post said $175. Also this box has two card sets and looks like also the LE Codex is included so I'd say it's more than just the Wrath&Rapture box.

It doesn't have a limited edition book in it per se - the "book" included appears to be another paperback booklet like the ones for Chaos and Marines in Shadowspear, containing the datasheets for what is in the box, rules and campaign stuff for the Blood of the Phoenix.

$175 would be a decent price point for all the multipart kits in there plus the vehicles:
Falcon - $55
Vyper - $35
Venom - $35
Hellions - $30
Scourges - $30

That's the ones we know the prices for right now, and it's already $185 in cost.

Figure $40-45 for Jain Zar, and $30-35 for Drazhar, plus $35-40 for the Banshees, and $40-45 for the Incubi, and the box total comes out between $330 on the low end to $350 on the high end, that could be up to 50% in discount.
  • Marshal Loss likes this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,010 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

The reddit post said $175. Also this box has two card sets and looks like also the LE Codex is included so I'd say it's more than just the Wrath&Rapture box.

It doesn't have a limited edition book in it - the "book" included appears to be another paperback booklet like the ones for Chaos and Marines in Shadowspear.

I think sfPanzer might be conflating Blood of the Phoenix with the Sisters of Battle box? Which does have a LE book in there

• Black Blow Fly, Master Commander Ajax, Bryan Blaire and 1 other like this

bRxSYDV.png

Emperor's Children 22ᶮᵈ Millennial

Sons of Horus 29th Company

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

It doesn't have a limited edition book in it - the "book" included appears to be another paperback booklet like the ones for Chaos and Marines in Shadowspear.

I think sfPanzer might be conflating Blood of the Phoenix with the Sisters of Battle box? Which does have a LE book in there

Oh crap yeah you're right. Too many releases/leaks too late in the evening. sweat.gif

• Master Commander Ajax, Marshal Loss, Bryan Blaire and 1 other like this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

++ FERRARII CONQUISITOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,378 posts
Oh dang customizable craftworld traits couldn’t have come at a better time....
  • Slave to Darkness, Doctor Perils and Legionnaire of the VIIth like this

Burni

Burni

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,263 posts
If this is what each book brings, roll on the Orks!

Will grab this book (assuming it’s £20-£25) as it looks be be a key lore event.

Edited by Burni, 06 October 2019 - 07:20 PM.

Redcomet

Redcomet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 492 posts
So two 800 year old eldar vehicles...

Uhm ok...

Red_Shift

Red_Shift

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,305 posts

So two 800 year old eldar vehicles...
Uhm ok...

Yeah the set might have tempted me although I'm not the biggest craftworld fan, but man the inclusion of what must be almost the two oldest plastic kits is just bizarre.
  • Master Commander Ajax and Redcomet like this

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,110 posts
Not massively excited for the Create your own stuff if it's similar to Marines one.

Due to the strength of the main Chapter Tactics no one is going to use them...

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,791 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion

Not massively excited for the Create your own stuff if it's similar to Marines one.

Thats a pretty inaccurate assessment. Ultramarine tactics are very replaceable, as are white scars and raven guard if you want to front load your damage output. Iron hands are the current exception due to the massive boost to defensive stats and the synergies throughout that supplement.

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,010 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

It's pretty standard GW practice to take advantage of newer shinier kits to push older crappier kits/kits that don't perform well on the tabletop. I've been tempted to buy in to do a small Biel-Tan army but the rest of the range is so incredibly dated, really turns me off the idea. Still feel like Eldar needed a bigger revamp in one go, ala CSM earlier this year.

I can't speak to what's competitive and what's not, but that's no reason not to include them. They provide people who want to make up their own dudes with a legitimate reason to do so on the tabletop without having to steal another sub-faction's flavour, and that's one of the best parts of 40k. It might be irrelevant to tournament goers but not to people like me. Besides, for all we know the internal balance might be better in this book than it was in C:SM. Eldar have far fewer characters limited to a specific sub-faction as is. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Master Commander Ajax, Dosjetka, Bryan Blaire and 4 others like this

bRxSYDV.png

Emperor's Children 22ᶮᵈ Millennial

Sons of Horus 29th Company

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,110 posts
Oh yeah totally guys.

I was speaking purely from a power gaming perspective.

Redcomet

Redcomet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 492 posts

It's pretty standard GW practice to take advantage of newer shinier kits to push older crappier kits/kits that don't perform well on the tabletop. I've been tempted to buy in to do a small Biel-Tan army but the rest of the range is so incredibly dated, really turns me off the idea. Still feel like Eldar needed a bigger revamp in one go, ala CSM earlier this year.

I can't speak to what's competitive and what's not, but that's no reason not to include them. They provide people who want to make up their own dudes with a legitimate reason to do so on the tabletop without having to steal another sub-faction's flavour, and that's one of the best parts of 40k. It might be irrelevant to tournament goers but not to people like me. Besides, for all we know the internal balance might be better in this book than it was in C:SM. Eldar have far fewer characters limited to a specific sub-faction as is. We'll just have to wait and see.

The Eldar range needs a lot of work

• Marshal Loss likes this

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,445 posts

So maybe it's just me, but I don't think the Eldar vehicles have aged badly at all. Can't really say the same about the drivers, but the vehicles themselves? Looking pretty fine if you ask me. At least compared to the infantry from the same era.

• PeteySödes, andes, Magos Takatus and 10 others like this

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,527 posts

Hmmmmmmngh, I don't really have much Eldar and I still want this, I figure it might push me over 2k...

"All power demands sacrifice and pain. The universe rewards those willing to spill their life's blood for the promise of power." - Sindri Myr

gallery_48988_15808_1006.pnggallery_48988_15465_989.pnggallery_48988_15465_2505.pnggallery_26154_15777_2719.pnggallery_30308_9518_3596.jpggallery_48988_16308_29741.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_8698.pnggallery_48988_16308_20607.png

"There is no meaning, no purpose. We murder, we kill. It is mindless savagery, this UNIVERSE is mindless!" - Azariah Kyras

Boyadventurer

Boyadventurer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 566 posts

So maybe it's just me, but I don't think the Eldar vehicles have aged badly at all. Can't really say the same about the drivers, but the vehicles themselves? Looking pretty fine if you ask me. At least compared to the infantry from the same era.

I still love the grav tanks (having never put one together or painted one). I don't really know what I'd want to change if they did get updated. The vyper is a little dated compared to the newer windriders but its still not too shabby.

gallery_48988_15465_18333.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.pnggallery_45765_13882_2878.pnggallery_96397_14126_674.png

beefeb

beefeb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 327 posts
Nice boxset. Ill not be buying one as im already backed up with a number of painting projects and waiting for the inpulsor and infiltrators multipart kits to come out. Then it will be SoB in nov. Ill get the book on its own tho.

Plaguecaster

Plaguecaster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,078 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard
Wait an entire starter style set that doesn’t feature at least one imperial faction
This must be some sort of dream
About bloody time
Nurgle Abominarions: A Host of Decay Revived for 8th​.
UPDATED 29/07/17

kombatwombat

kombatwombat

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 534 posts

Wait an entire starter style set that doesn’t feature at least one imperial faction
This must be some sort of dream
About bloody time

Is this a first for 40k? I can’t call to mind another box with two non-Imperial armies.

I reckon the Falcon chassis is probably the model that has best stood the test of time, behind only the Emperor’s Champion. You’re right about the driver, though a headswap with a helmet from the Guardians box helps a lot. A similar sentiment and solution for the Vyper, too.

I think all those models need is a CAD update and mould recut like the Land Raider got a few years ago. No change to the design, just cleaning up details and updating things like the pilots to match the current plastic infantry.

The4thHorseman

The4thHorseman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 912 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Vid mentioned Rules for Yannari, so I guess that means one less WD Reprint in Chapter Approved this year, so seems like very little.

• Legionnaire of the VIIth likes this

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done

ETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_AnETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifsml_gallery_29004_10691_1994.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users