Scaling the grey mountain of shame. Heresy Dark Angels

Dwango

@Sgt. Blank. Thanks buddy. I used epoxy resin during the ETL for the first time. Really liked the effect so kind of ran with it (plus I have a bottle to use up). I've tried to push myself with weathering effects with these too.

Next up is a nurgle dark apostle and a couple of disciples. These will be for my Red Corsairs but painted as the Weeping Legion. I've made a couple of changes to a FW sorcerer for this, and of course added some height as he's now a bit short compared to his brethren. Ignore the red sand areas. It's the only sand I have atm to do bases with and will be appropriately painted.

gallery_141590_15861_56892.jpg

C&C's welcome.

Cheers chaps. Well here are the finished ones. These have been interesting to paint as the resin is not as smooth as I'm used to compared to plastic. The detail is great though. I'm still no good at faces lol!

gallery_141590_15405_352327.jpg

gallery_141590_15405_274206.jpg

gallery_141590_15405_124356.jpg

gallery_141590_15405_154485.jpg

gallery_141590_15405_402578.jpg

Group shot

gallery_141590_15405_457455.jpg

I have a couple more plague marines to finish to complete my last squad. Then I think I'm going xenos for a bit, although I still have plenty of Dark Angel's to do.....

C&c welcome as always.

Cheers chaps. It ain't nurgle unless it looks disgusting!

Bit of a different direction for me this year. Eldar were my first ever army but I bought it painted. I've never really got on to painting the little space elves before. This year I plan to change that. First up is 5 storm guardians from craftworld Mymeara. I really like Ulthw

Just a little update.

Similar to last year, I will be involved in a number of painting events. I'm currently partaking in Grotsmasha's 12 month hobby challenge, so my posts on here will likely reflect those.

I have declared for the Xenos faction so it will mainly be aeldari, with a little 30k dark angels interspersed.

My plodding along challenge is a nightwing I rescued from ebay. No stand, cockpit or fins so I am creating my own. Below is a before and after shot.

med_gallery_141590_15861_410090.jpg

gallery_141590_15861_608343.jpg

I created the cockpit out of a falcon turret and nicked some fins from a winder jet bike. I've used greenstuff and putty to create the sleakness of the craft. I've still to sand down once dry.

C&c always welcome

Cheers Focslain. Yeah I would have preferred bigger fins but I couldn't seem to source any for a reasonable price. I figured if anyone could get away with it then the eldar can. Not ones for ostentatious over the top construction. More, our tech is better than yours!

Cheers Focslain. Yeah I would have preferred bigger fins but I couldn't seem to source any for a reasonable price. I figured if anyone could get away with it then the eldar can. Not ones for ostentatious over the top construction. More, our tech is better than yours!

True, technically the side fins off a vyper would work just fine as well, but that would be the body bit and if you can find it it might be a bit costly too.

Great work, I love the Chaos knights in particular :thumbsup:

Regarding bigger fins, what about using plasticard (as basis) to elevate the smaller ones you have?

That can work too.

@Mendi warrior. Cheers buddy. Yeah I really liked how they turned out. With the rampager it was the first time i followed the official painting guide. I normally just muddle through taking examples from the internet or on here.

Adding the plasticard is a good idea but I have left an oval bit from the connector for the jet bike so I'm not sure how I would go about it?

@Focslain. I hadn't thought of that. I actually have a vyper to hand and yes, that would have worked better as they are bigger. Would need a touch more modelling but definitely possible. I just don't have one I want to butcher sadly.

@Wakkomaster. Thank you very much, you are too kind!

This may be the last post for a little while. My wife has just given birth over the weekend so having a new born and a toddler is likely to be a bit of a handful, lol! May get some midnight painting in though.........

First of all congratulations, best wishes to all of you!

I did a quick & dirty schema in powerpoint to show how I would likely tackle the task. I found a reference picture to have an idea how the actual fins look like. I would measure the base of the fin where I drew the line and then cut 3 pieces of plasticard in a roughly trapezoidal form (not necessarily symmetrical as pictured here below, asymmetrical would be better I think). 2 of the pieces would have exactly the same size and be a little bit smaller than the one in the middle. Then likely some greenstuff, or even very thin cardboard, to get the rounded edges. Also, depending on the thickness of the jetbike fin, I would add something to pin the new fin to the actual body of the nightwing.

gallery_116407_15011_37666.jpg

Hey Mendi Warrior. Thanks for this you've put some work in there and I appreciate it.

Where I cut was just below the red line as it gave it more surface area to stick to so I was struggling to see how I could extend it with plasticard. I do have some plasticard so I may have a play. It's a bit crazy at the mo so it may be a while before I can look at it plus I've just vowed for the L&V so I have some 30k dreads to do (it would seem I cant resist a painting event!). Unsurprisingly I'm getting about 20mins every other day at the mo. Things will settle back down soon though.

You're welcome! As said, it is quick & dirty, but much easier to see with a schema :biggrin.: Always interested in nice conversions and tips & tricks, and also happy to give back to the community.

Curious to see the end version, whenever you have time of course, it is never good to rush things. Best of luck with your vow! Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

So the last day or so has been kind on me and I managed to get a decent chunk of hobby time in. Albeit at the expense of actually working. I managed to get another 6 storm guardians done, completing the squad of 11.

gallery_141590_16070_101027.jpg

Group shot

gallery_141590_16070_738733.jpg

As I'm doing an L&V vow I should post my progress with this as well.

med_gallery_141590_15861_552948.jpg

Just some bases. Admittedly these were done a few weeks ago but I forgot to post here. Not a crazy amount done but progress none the less!

• 1 month later...

So, I've not posted for a while but I have been busy. I've managed to get 6 dark angels contemptor dreadnoughts and a leviathan done for my L&T vow. These 4 have been sitting waiting to get painted for about 4 years. They were all ebay rescues and have taken a bit of time to repose and to fix them up. I've also been waiting for the new DA stuff to be released. As the transfers just came out I thought now was the time to get them done. So here they are;

Brother Varrius

gallery_141590_15192_43411.jpg

Brother Leuctra

gallery_141590_15192_65941.jpg

Brother Caiyne

gallery_141590_15192_664816.jpg

This one I had a spur of the moment decision to create a chaplain esque dread. As it was the plainest one I had I thought I could go a bit crazy and add loads of other detail, including the skull head. It doesn't quite fit as neatly as I would like but I think it's ok.

Brother-chaplain Salirus

gallery_141590_15192_203814.jpg

Really enjoyed painting these last two. As I got these new I had more opportunity to pose them than the last 4. Hopefully a bit more experienced with it too. The cyclone was an idea I saw on't tinternet, and had to steal it. It's only blue tacked as I'm not sure if it should go on the dark angel specific dreads or if it's too busy.

Brother Kaelen

gallery_141590_15192_314922.jpg

Brother Zadakiel

gallery_141590_15192_527059.jpg

The big boy, Brother Baradiel. Another enjoyable build.

gallery_141590_15192_765273.jpg

gallery_141590_15192_31963.jpg

Man, the DA transfers are nice!

I will do a group shot at some point but ol'chappie took a tumble and is in need of a spot of glueing.

C&c welcome

Hey Dwango - so, you had me in your first post with "Not sure of the edition, but I was playing with metal Eldar in the late 90s." because I am also a long fang, grey beard (in space wolf terms, which is what I relate to of course).

Anyway, I just followed this thread - good work across the board here.  Keep it up, you are turning out some great stuff.

Hey Dwango - so, you had me in your first post with "Not sure of the edition, but I was playing with metal Eldar in the late 90s." because I am also a long fang, grey beard (in space wolf terms, which is what I relate to of course).

Anyway, I just followed this thread - good work across the board here.  Keep it up, you are turning out some great stuff.

Hey Morngrym, thanks for the kind words. It's good to see another veteran of the good ol' days. For me it was when there wasn't much to care about other than making sure I had enough money to get a train to my local GW on a Thursday night for games night. They were much simpler times!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still plodding through my Aeldari collection, mainly by painting up my Mymeara Craftworld guardians, but I've decided to set myself a goal for the year. I want to complete a full troupe of Harlequins. I loved reading about these when I first got into the hobby and always wanted to get myself a troupe. I've had a load of models on sprue and partially built for ages and have always felt a bit apprehensive about painting them. Well this year is the year they will get done!

The murder clowns (love that someone came up with that name!) I have gone for are the Masque of the Soaring Spite. I really like the colour scheme and find their lore really interesting. Shooting from Starweavers then hopping out to lop off limbs and jumping back into their ride!

I'm currently on with a test model and I have spent the last couple of week building and prepping the troupe. I've got done, so far;

Troupe Master

med_gallery_141590_15861_76837.jpg

Troupe 1

med_gallery_141590_15861_247463.jpg

3 Starweavers and 1 Voidweaver

med_gallery_141590_15861_1112493.jpg

6 Skyweavers

med_gallery_141590_15861_29346.jpg

I have two more 6 player troupes to put together, a solitaire, a death jester and a shadowseer too.

Hopefully I'll manage it but diamonds will be a test!

C&C welcome

• 4 weeks later...

I've managed to complete my plodding along vow, an Aeldari nightwing of the corsair band the Sunblitz Brotherhood. Not my best work but it was an ebay rescue that I had to strip, so it's ok I suppose. First attempt at free hand too.

Nightwing

gallery_141590_16070_72718.jpg

gallery_141590_16070_142514.jpg

gallery_141590_16070_592055.jpg

Base, which I really enjoyed doing.

gallery_141590_16070_326698.jpg

I've managed to get more guardians finished last month too.

gallery_141590_16070_434537.jpg

And a heavy weapons platform for them.

gallery_141590_16070_76245.jpg

Shadow Haunters, I thought I had been quite creative with this name for a raven guard successor chapter. It turns out I had not

https://a-40k-author.tumblr.com/post/136542036736/index-astartes-shadow-haunters

Anyway, it turns out they have a similar colour scheme to what I was planning so all's good. I wasn't going to do much imperium this year as I'm focusing on my Aeldari but there's the Nurgle's plague hobby challenge going on in the raven guard forum. I thought it would be rude not to participate and test the colour scheme. I'm also going to go with an urban base scheme, mainly roads and footpaths etc. Good use for left over sprue.

med_gallery_141590_15861_503258.jpg

No further progress on the harlequins but they will be next.

C&C welcome