Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Knights of St. Joan - a DIY Marine Chapter

DIY Chapter WIP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

nusphigor

nusphigor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 335 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Fists

Hello and welcome Brothers,

I have been developing an idea for a marine chapter based on an old army i used to collect.

The original chapter was called The Order of the Sacred Knights of Saint Jerulas and the Temple of Salmonius, a totally not Black Templars chapter with Blood Angels geneseed, mostly because that was the codex i had at the time.

Here are some pics of that chapter of old.

71592540_10156702992444150_4515805902950

71768604_10156702993769150_3333719199582

71495998_10156702993584150_4878524047240

Of course those marines are lost to the warp.

So I was thinking that it would be a nice idea to do a new chapter based on some of the ideas of the old chapter but modify them to add new stuff and not copy so much of existing chapters.

What i have developed is this, the Knights of St. Joan:

St. Joan was an imperial martyr, canonised by the Eclessiarchy after her exploits in the region of space called Loaire Sector, which unites the Segmentum Pacificus with the Segmentum Tempestus and the Segmentum Solar.

In her life, St. Joan lead and defeated a chaos incursion that was about to consume the whole sector and transform it into a bastion for the forces of Chaos, from which they could have a strong point to attack the Segmentum Solar and Terra itself.

Her martyrdom in the final battle against the forces of Chaos earned the liberation of the sector and, by support of the Ecclesiarchy, a creation of an Astarter Chapter to defend Loaire form the enemies of man.

As you can see, this chapters history has a strong influence in La Pucelle story and her battles against the English in the Loire River but I wanted to adapt it a bit to 40k lore.

So I thought that using a style of art based on a real life movement might be a neat idea too and went on to do some research. Later on, I found that the depiction of the old Orthodox church art might be quite a quite nice start for this chapter because of its heavy ties with the Ecclesiarchy and the devotion to St. Joan, but mostly because it's the kind of style that i feel i can do with my current skills.

Of course everything would be more dark and full of skulls because it is 40k.

The idea of the chapter's Colour Scheme is to be all silver with blue shoulderpads, but add gold to the veteran and command models. The other idea is to incorporate depictions of St. Joan as a way of earned honours, that way i can always add a little something special to those units with veteran status and to those minis who do cool stuff on the table.

What i am worried of is that they might end up being too similar to the Astral Claws chapter in regards of the colours, so may I ask you guys how to solve this issue?

I hope you guys can accompany me in this journey and maybe leave a comment on this idea and how to make it better.

Thanks!

Edited by nusphigor, 08 October 2019 - 06:26 AM.

• Bjorn Firewalker and GrimApostle like this

nusphigor

nusphigor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 335 posts

I put my hype to good use and painted the chapter symbol and a small portrait of St Joan.

71782704_10156708538374150_5379554187300

72400887_10156708538199150_2738939960789

I think i solved a bit the issue of the blue using thousand sons blue as mid tone instead of the original idea of ultramarines blue. That tint of green makes a lot of difference!

Cheers!

• GrimApostle and ranulf the revenant like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,950 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Good job on the Marines. As for the Chapter, the best explanation I can think of is the High Lords of Terra deciding to found a Space Marine Chapter to defend the critical Warp passage at Loaire; as the Chapter recruits from the devout inhabitants of that sector, the recruits' culture (including their faith, e.g., worshiping the Emperor as God, and honoring St. Joan above even the Primarchs) begin to overwhelm the secularism the Chapter's indoctrination was meant to instill, if it ever did (the Black Templars are described as worshiping the Emperor in recent Editions, something Dorn did NOT approve of before or during the Heresy).
  • nusphigor likes this

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

Kolgrim DeathHowl

Kolgrim DeathHowl

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 633 posts

Nice work, love the creativity of the self made chapter, painting is amazing too!

• nusphigor likes this

nusphigor

nusphigor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 335 posts

Nice work, love the creativity of the self made chapter, painting is amazing too!

Thank you brother! :P

Good job on the Marines. As for the Chapter, the best explanation I can think of is the High Lords of Terra deciding to found a Space Marine Chapter to defend the critical Warp passage at Loaire; as the Chapter recruits from the devout inhabitants of that sector, the recruits' culture (including their faith, e.g., worshiping the Emperor as God, and honoring St. Joan above even the Primarchs) begin to overwhelm the secularism the Chapter's indoctrination was meant to instill, if it ever did (the Black Templars are described as worshiping the Emperor in recent Editions, something Dorn did NOT approve of before or during the Heresy).

I quite like that. It would explain how the chapter primogenitor name got lost in time. 

I took the day off and used it to test the chapter's colour scheme and went with this one.
71814413_10156710397109150_1170053291631

71710922_10156710397294150_4522316918752

In the end I went with Dark Grey shoulder pads and the crusade icon of red and bone as a way to link my old chapter, but the idea of more gold as the marine gets more experience and the freehandings still remains.

Another change is to use the Cross of Lorraine for the chapter's symbol, as Joan used it herself. but it looks kinda lonely. What else to add to it?

What I don't know now is if i should use the codex symbols for squads or not...

Thank you brothers!

• GrimApostle and Sargeant Centurion like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,950 posts
Maybe add the Company and Squad numbers on the lower left and right corners of the pauldron?
  • nusphigor likes this

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,950 posts
Or symbols of the Marine's Oath of the Moment, e.g., a shield to symbolize he intends to protect something/someone, a skull to show he intends to kill a specific enemy of the Imperium, etc.?
  • nusphigor likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIY Chapter, WIP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users