Considering new army

Hail and well met, servants of the Omnissiah!

I am getting back into 40k after a few years hiatus. The last edition I played was 5th, so my Space Wolves and I have had a few culture shocks. Playing an assault oriented army in 8th is no picnic, so I've been considering picking up a second, preferably gunline, faction. Previously I played Dark Eldar, but my local meta has way too many elves already and I have none of those models left over. And really, I am intrigued by the new (to me) AdMech models. In terms of fluff and rules they are practically the opposite of my other army and would make for a nice change of pace. Even the color palette with its reds, blacks, and metals is opposed to the cool greys, blues, and matte armor plate I'm used to painting. So basically what I'm asking of you is, do you think this is a good time to start an AdMech army? Where do you think they fall powerwise in the meta? 

Here's a rough outline of the list I was considering: Stygies VIII for the forgeworld, HQ tax + gunline of Skitarii (I look forward to sniping Haemonculi and Seers with transuranic rounds!) with back up from Onager artillery and dragoon muscle (Ironstrider models are gorgeous, I'm worried I won't paint well enough to do them justice). Maybe throw in some Fulgurites or Infiltrators for shenanigans. (are there any good  3rd party alternatives or easy kitbashes for the electro priests? the official models got dipped in the ugly pot!)

Any suggestions are welcome, and thank you for your time. For the All Father and the Omnissiah!

If you like the look or enjoy the lore then I definitely suggest you join us! If you want to be competitive then there are better armies out there and I say that with the utmost respect to Admech but competitiveness will not keep you interested in the army. If you want a gun line then Tau are quite powerful and never forget the good old guard soup.

I love Admech, I love the models even if they are the Sadomasochism version of plastic crack(Lots of very easily snapped cables) but I am under no illusion of running high in a tournament, but I will have fun playing :smile.:

What you suggest is a good start, the general gun line equates to Cawl + Robots + Kata Destroyers + Duncecrawlers with lots of Vanguard to bubble the line against melee and lots of murder chickens for counter charges. But recently we have had four new units that are still trying to find their place such as the two new HQs and our new tank/transport. Now the problem with the above is that Cawl is Mars only so you will need to replace him or your choice of Forgeworld, perhaps even have two battalions with different Forgeworlds.

Edited by Black_Knight

Hi Jonas,

It really depends on what you want from the army. it can be monochromatic to play. Assault is at a premium, there is no psychic phase, and although the army has a variety of units... it's a VERY limited line of models, and therefore playstyle.

In other words, you gotta love AdMech to really stick it out imo. For the most part, allow me to be blunt in saying, Tau do this army better for the most part. They can protect assets better, have better survivability, and they have the 'godmode' keyword of 40k; "Fly".

Admech, until you really get used to it, can feel like a grind in a competitive environment. It's extremely unforgiving. A poor deployment is often your endgame. There is no fly, fliers, or many fast units. You rely on a new transport, and a FW Drill to get most of your mobility done.

The variety of weaponry is solid, but often the problem is you can find aggressive armies extremely difficult to defend against.

While a lot of this sounds negative I think it's just a reality. The plus side is the background, and as you said some cool models.

But the reality is you look at the activity in this forum specifically... it's very low. There's just easier ways of doing gunline.

My thanks for the advice comrades. I think I will wait until our local escalation league winds down to make a final decision, get a better feel for the local meta. But honestly, what you say re: competitiveness just gets my blood up for the challenge. I joined 40k playing a 3rd edition dex in 5th edition; making bricks without straw is nothing new. I just want to know if I can get within shouting distance of being able to win.

Adding in knights solves some problems. I love the army and have done well in some games, and been pounded in others. Mobility is an issue but there are ways around. It’s hard to put my finger on it about what the army lacks. I guess really nothing’s that scary where your opponent is forced to say damn, I must deal with that, while worrying about your second threat.

I guess the closest scary combo would be double shoot robots and Cawl.

I could care less about the WAAC tournaments, really, but we all want to have a chance at winning. You will have a chance with this army, but it’s not one of the three or four netlist armies that always seems to take center stage. Personally, I have no issue with that. Depending on your area, you might. Join us, for the Omnissiah!

We're not Grey Knights! Nope!

I am actually army building right now, alot more options that 3 months ago, wish I could fit in my Manu Priest but cannot find the points.

We're not Grey Knights! Nope!

I am actually army building right now, alot more options that 3 months ago, wish I could fit in my Manu Priest but cannot find the points.

Manu priest? Is that the opposite of an Auto Priest? :) OH... Manipulus?

I am kind of mad at myself. I did buy the box for the (expensive) Manipulus, but rarely use him now at his points .He's okay, but then I bought on ebay a Daedelosus and I know he's necessary, but I gotta stop spending on this bloody army. 

Knights are the ONE great equalizer that I find. But when I say hard counters, I mean HARD counters to Admech. We don't have fly, or fancy retreat rules, or speed... it's extremely easy for some armies to bump us and it's over. The worst is GSC. That is such an incredibly difficult match up (for example.)

Yeah I was failing at trying to recall the name at the time :P I knew it was close! I haven't actually got the model yet I brought the boards and rules for Killteam off Ebay and I intend to buy the model when they release it individually.

I would Probably take a Crusader, even though I brought the Knight Detachment. The Big guys are just too pricey now.