Brother Rakk'zul Salamanders

rakkzul

Thank you both!

Do you have a list in mind? Or are you more of a fluff/lore type? Are you going all Primaris?

I don't have any lists in mind, I'm halfway between lore and actually being able to play (and win!) some games

About the Primaris... Not really, these are just the models some friend gifted me, so I'll probably mix primaris with regular marines as I see fit

What do you intend to purchase next? I suggest an Ironclad Dreadnought. They are T8, can be dual Heavy Flamers or Heavy Flamer and Meltagun. The Chainfist is better than the Seismic Hammer, and the Assault Launchers are always worth it.

Salamanders get the most bang out of high strength weapons with few number of shots. Snipers and Lascannons are terrifying when used by Salamanders.

Try out small games first. Get a HQ, a unit or two of troops, and see if you can find someone to play a 500 or 750 point game so you can get the hang of the basics. Jumping right in and trying to play at 2000 points is awkward to say the least. Start small, and basic. You will figure out what elements you will like to add to your force, rather than spend recklessly on units that will sit on shelves.

Also, Salamanders tend to be one of the most blinged out chapters. Forge world has some good shoulder pads, and those Firedrakes ( <3 <3 <3 ) are terrifying when they pop out of a Landraider (Redeemer). Some of the more experienced players will applaud you for using Hammernators, and doing it right. Have you ever heard of Kromlech? Google them, and search their site for "dragonborn" and I think you will like what you find. I did not care for their backpacks and heads, but thos shields, shoulder pads, torsos, and legs are gold.

... and another one

qWfN2xZ.jpg

This time I went for a "dusty" theme in the feet and legs, but didn't went as expected. Will get better with time, I guess

What do you intend to purchase next?

A friend of mine gave me (for free!) a box of Reivers, and some Dark Imperium minis, so I'm set for some time. Will probably buy the Ashmantle character, he looks so cool

Try out small games first. Get a HQ, a unit or two of troops, and see if you can find someone to play a 500 or 750 point game so you can get the hang of the basics. Jumping right in and trying to play at 2000 points is awkward to say the least. Start small, and basic. You will figure out what elements you will like to add to your force, rather than spend recklessly on units that will sit on shelves.

Luckily, my GF is starting with the hobby too, so we're both starting small, with SC boxes and all that

And those Dragonborn bits are cool, I dont like the heads tho :unsure.:

Thank you all!

Looking great!

A nice easy embellish is flames. They are far easier than they look!

Get a red with a lot of bleed through - it actually helps!!! With a thin, thin coat paint small triangles of various sizes, the less uniform the better. The next coat paint inside the first triangles leaving a little bit of the first. Move to a bright orange following triangles inside the red. Move to yellow, then a tiny speck of white. No need to be centered, slightly off looks better! Best with a black background, that’s it!!!

Luckily, my GF is starting with the hobby too, so we're both starting small, with SC boxes and all that

And those Dragonborn bits are cool, I dont like the heads tho :unsure.:

Thank you all!

Wow, you have the best GF. My wife won't play, has ZERO interest in the lore, but she loves painting and assembling terrain. What army is your GF playing? Tyranids, Necrons, or some flavor of Eldar?

Last one from that Intercessor box! Was a really fun way to get back into models, and a first start on 40k

sas7Ibg.jpg

What army is your GF playing? Tyranids, Necrons, or some flavor of Eldar?

She's between Space Wolves and Sisters of Battle... We will see

A nice easy embellish is flames. They are far easier than they look!

Get a red with a lot of bleed through - it actually helps!!! With a thin, thin coat paint small triangles of various sizes, the less uniform the better. The next coat paint inside the first triangles leaving a little bit of the first. Move to a bright orange following triangles inside the red. Move to yellow, then a tiny speck of white. No need to be centered, slightly off looks better! Best with a black background, that’s it!!!

Will try on the next Intercessors! 

Next up: Terminators :nuke:

Thank you all <3

I think Sisters would be way better than Space Wolves. SW are... awkward... on the tabletop, to put it nicely. With Sisters, she would get more models for her points, and she can get that cool battle box to get her started.

Terminators would be a good next step. Consider also a Terminator Chaplain or Terminator Librarian to ride along. Are they teleporting in, riding in a Landraider, or flying in a Stormraven?

Hello!

I think Sisters would be way better than Space Wolves. SW are... awkward... on the tabletop, to put it nicely. With Sisters, she would get more models for her points, and she can get that cool battle box to get her started.

Yup, but we're not competitive at all, she's dragged by the BIG ARMOUR AND WOLVES so... She'll decide 

Terminators would be a good next step. Consider also a Terminator Chaplain or Terminator Librarian to ride along. Are they teleporting in, riding in a Landraider, or flying in a Stormraven?

They are probably running all the way and shooting bad stuff, if that doesn't work I'll think about methods of transport, probably landraider or stormraven, since I find the models cool

Enough talking, let's get to the miniatures part!

Terminators are built (pics as soon as I get home), but is rainy weather in Barcelona these days, so will take some time to prime them.

In the mean time... Just received this on the mail!

1z5OLea.jpg?1

You can see my other new proyect under all that bling, a gaming table I'll build with my roommate

I don't know if I'm allowed to doublepost, @Admins let me know

4th guy ready for action! Only 1 more to get my first unit

dTRgAis.jpg

Plus I did a little counting exercise since I have our codex already... I now own 1548 Marine points! I promise not to buy anything else until I have these points painted to my standard (Not like I could do better lol)

P.S. Forgeworld stuff already on its way, it doesn't count :P

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I'm allowed to doublepost, @Admins let me know

4th guy ready for action! Only 1 more to get my first unit

Plus I did a little counting exercise since I have our codex already... I now own 1548 Marine points! I promise not to buy anything else until I have these points painted to my standard (Not like I could do better lol)

P.S. Forgeworld stuff already on its way, it doesn't count :tongue.:

Generally, it's preferred that you edit your previous post, but considering you're the OP giving a progress update on a WiP thread, AND there's a couple days between the posts, I'd say you're fine here.

That said, paint job looks great! looking forward to a group shot when you finish the squad. 

For flames, I find it easiest to paint in layers "from edge to source".   In other words, if you look at a fire, the source of the fire is typically the brightest spot (i.e. white), while the edge (of the flames) are duller and less glaring (at least by comparison).  So "edge to source" layering means you paint the outer part of the flame (usually red with salamanders), and then succesively paint the "hotter", brighter spots within that area as another layer.

Typically I go:  red -> orange -> yellow -> bright/pale yellow -> white  

Of course, you can modify that according to what you're painting, and depending on how stylized you want to be with it.  In most cases, I'd suggest being very sparing with the white, because, if you look at a real flame, very little of what you see is actually white.

Also, I'm assuming that this forgeworld purchase included the aforementioned Ashmantle?  I haven't fielded him, but he looks beastly on paper; plus I'm a big fan of smashy  dreadnoughts :biggrin.: . 

Edited by sal of manders

• 3 weeks later...

Long time no update... SORRY

Real life got me (Even adopted a dog!), plus I'm now 400km away from home

Now for the minis!

Started on this infiltrator squad, I think the models are really cool, let's see if they behave on the battlefield

oFKL5RV.jpg

qtYXtKV.jpg

Thanks for the tip sal of manders, will use (or try to) for my squad sergeants, since they have the flame on the shoulderpad

As for the FW stuff, sadly not! "Only" some termies with shield+hammer and pyroclasts, I'll use them as sterngard most likely

EDIT: Is anyone going to the AdeptiCon?

Regards!

Edited by rakkzul

New mini done!

I don't have everything with me @ the hotel, but managed to do this quick infiltrator in a cool pose. Now I have 5 intercessors and 5 infiltrators, but just realized I didnt upload a pic for every mini I painted :down:

JZzt4xr.jpg

Hey, good looking models, keep at it! What kind of dog did you get? My wife, about to birth twins in February, is after me about us getting a Welsh Corgie. So you can guess how much hobby time I will have in the new year...

It's an american stafford mix, with argentine dogo i think

Will try to finish more models tonight/tomorrow, will keep you updated

• 3 weeks later...