Adeptus Custodes Codex 2.0 Recommended Changes

So this is my list of recommended changes, which I will be sending to GW. Would love to hear comments and thoughts from the community (please keep your comments tasteful and constructive). 

Overview

In light of the growth and development of the game, it is clear that Adeptus Custodes need a few updates to bring their Codex up to standard. The book is nearly 18 months old and it's starting to show in the meta. The inclusion of the Forge World units was great and served as a significant placeholder until deeper changes could be made.

The recommendations below will help the army function more cohesively, offering more tactical depth and flexibility in terms of fighting styles, improved rates of fire, and general battlefield mobility. It’s key to remember that being a hyper-elite army, you’re (at most) fielding 20-25 models. So each needs to have significant output and flexibility in order to contribute effectively e.g. the introduction of better quality weapons with less random damage characteristics, more Assault type profiles, and higher output of weaponry. Many of the weapons listed as Heavy were revised to Assault instead, as penalties to hit with no means of improving this effectively nerfed their overall output and effectiveness in combat.

Many of the significant changes to relics and stratagems below also balanced around the Adeptus Custodes limited access to command points, particularly when fielded without allies. So the player will be forced to decide whether to spend their CP on relics tailored towards a particular opponent or save them for stratagems used mid-battle. This level of tactical nuance will add diversity and tactical flexibility to the player.

List of Recommended Changes for Adeptus Custodes

Abilities

• Aegis of the Emperor: Remains the same with 1 exception; improving the defence against mortal wounds. Given how mortal wounds propensity has increased across the game, this is a serious issues for the Adeptus Custodes.
  • Revised Aegis of the Emperor: Models with this ability have a 5+ invulnerable save. When a model with this ability would lose a wound as a result of a mortal wound in the Psychic phase, roll one D6; on a 5+ that wound is not lost.

Detachment Rules

• Abilities: Remains the same.
  • Sword Guardians: Remains the same.
  • The Emperor’s Chosen: Remains the same. (Oddly, there is no way to raise this bonus to a 3+ invulnerable within the book itself. A storm shield comes with a natural 3+ invulnerable, and the two relics that offer the improved save are also natural 3+ saves (Auric Aquilas, Eagles Eye). So this limit seems superfluous. With my recommendations below, the limitation would actually come into effect.

New Mono-Faction Abilities: If your army is battle forged and each unit contains the ADEPTUS CUSTODES keyword, then the following rules apply.

• For the Emperor: In any turn in which a unit with this ability charged, was charged or made a Heroic Intervention, you may add 1 their attacks characteristic in the Fight phase. Furthermore, units with this trait can Advance and Charge in the same turn.
  • Affected Units: all INFANTRY, BIKER and DREADNOUGHT units. (This will give the army the necessary speed it lacks to get around the board. It is primarily a melee focused army, but with so many ways to teleport and maneuver available to other armies, Custodes can be very static in their current gameplay).

Stratagems

• From Golden Light They Come: 1CP per unit, no limit to usage except Tactical Reserves rules in Matched Play.
    • revised so that you just spend 1CP and you can place a single unit in Tactical Reserves. This can be used multiple times and each time it only costs 1CP. This remove the limit and CP tax penalty. Adeptus Custodes are already so CP starved, this is an unnecessary nerf.
  • Spark of Divinity: Use this Stratagem when an enemy PSYKER manifests a psychic power within 24" of an ADEPTUS CUSTODES unit from your army. Roll a D6, and on a 4+ the power is denied.
    • increase the range of the stratagem to 24”. The current range is far too short and simplify the roll to a 4+ denial.
  • Concussion Grenades: Use this Stratagem in your Shooting phase, when choosing a unit of Allarus Custodians from your army to attack. Until the end of the phase, their balistus grenade launchers have an AP characteristic of 0, and units that are hit by these attacks are stunned until the end of the turn – they cannot fire Overwatch and your opponent must subtract 1 from hit rolls made for the unit. Units with the AIRCRAFT, VEHICLE and TITANIC KEYWORDS are not affected.
    • Reword the stratagem to remove the INFANTRY only restriction and allow it to affect all units except units with the AIRCRAFT, VEHICLE AND TITANIC KEYWORDS. This will allow it to affect DRONES AND BIKES.
  • Tanglefoot Grenade: Use this Stratagem in your opponent’s Movement or Charge phase. Choose an enemy unit within 12" of an ADEPTUS CUSTODES INFANTRY unit from your army and roll a D6. Your opponent must reduce that unit’s Movement characteristic or charge distance by the result until the end of the phase. Units with the AIRCRAFT keyword are not affected.
    • remove the restriction so that the FLY keyword is also affected but that AIRCRAFT are not. Also allow it to be used anytime during the movement/charge phase instead of at the start so it can be more flexible/reactionary.
  • Open the Vaults: revised so that it costs 1CP per relic instead of 1/3CP for 1-2 relics. This would follow the trend in the Space Marines Codex.
  • Sentinel Storm: Use this Stratagem at the end of your opponent’s Shooting phase. Choose one of your ADEPTUS CUSTODES units that is within 1" of an enemy unit. The unit you chose can shoot with its ranged weapons as if it were your Shooting phase.
    • revised so that it works with ANY ranged weapon. Currently there is no reason to spend 2CP to use this stratagem. This would assist units bogged down in protracted combat.
  • Castellan Strike: Use this Stratagem when you select one of your ADEPTUS CUSTODES units to attack in the Fight phase. Improve the AP of that unit’s melee weapons by 1 (e.g. AP0 becomes AP-1) until the end of the phase.
    • revised so that it improves ANY melee weapon AP by 1, e.g. AP-2 becomes AP-3.
  • Unleash the Lions: 1CP: Allow it to affect any unit, not just Allarus Custodians
  • Victor of the Blood Games: 1CP. The rest is the same.
    • Reduce the CP from 2 to 1. It’s way too expensive in an army that is already low on command points.

New Stratagems

• Impenetrable Fortress (2CP): When this unit is targeted by an attack in the Shooting, Overwatch or Fight phase, they may increase their invulnerable save by 1 (to a maximum of 3+) for the duration of the phase. (This will give Adeptus Custodes some needed durability to tank damage when required.)
  • Into the Fray (1CP): Use this Stratagem before a unit who arrived from reinforcements declares a charge in the Charge phase. The selected unit may add 2” to the resulting charge roll. (This will provide some improved ability to get units into combat from deep strike, which the army severely lacks.)
  • Invincible Warriors (3CP): Use this Stratagem at the end of the Fight phase. Select an ADEPTUS CUSTODES unit from your army that has already fought once this Fight phase to fight a second time. (This is sorely needed at the moment).
  • Unmatched Expertise (1CP/3CP): Use this Stratagem before the battle, after you have chosen your Warlord. Choose one ADEPTUS CUSTODES CHARACTER model from your army for 1CP, or choose two such models for 3CP. Each model can choose an Adeptus Custodes Warlord Trait (note that this model is only regarded as your Warlord for the purposes of this Warlord Trait). All of the Adeptus Custodes Warlord Traits in your army must be different (if randomly generated, re-roll duplicate results), and no model can have more than one. You can only use this Stratagem once per battle. (This adds to the heroic feel of the army and adds tactical flexibility and customisation.)
  • Glory of the Emperor (2CP): Use this Stratagem at the start of the battle round on a Vexilus Praetor model in your army. For the duration of the battle round, your Custodes Vexilla improves the bonus it provides by 1 e.g. the Vexilla Magnifica subtracts -2 from to hit rolls, the Vexilla Imperius adds +2 to the attacks of nearby models, and the Vexilla Defensor improves the invulnerable save to 4+ for nearby models. 
  • Master-Crafted Heirlooms (1CP): When you give a model this Relic, select one weapon that model is equipped with. Add 1 to the Damage characteristic of that weapon. That weapon is considered to be a Relic of Terra.
  • Renowned Warrior (2CP): Use this Stratagem before the battle. Select one ADEPTUS CUSTODES model in your army, except a named CHARACTERS. That model may immediately select a Relic of Terra, even if they already possess one. This Stratagem may only be used once per battle.

Warlord Traits

• Champion of the Imperium: No change
  • Peerless Warrior: The model gains +1 wound and may increase the damage of weapon attacks by 1. (Previous version was extremely situational).
  • Superior Creation: No change
  • Impregnable Mind: No change
  • Radiant Mantle: No change
  • Emperor’s Companion: The model gains +D3 attacks when it charges, is charged or performs a heroic intervention.  

Relics of Terra

• Apart from Auric Aquilas and Eagle Eye, the relics have very little or situational value. I would consider they be revised and replaced with items more suitable to the army. Some alternative suggestion below:
    • (New) Mantle of Majesty: Increase the bearer's aura abilities (e.g. Custodes Vexilla, Inspirational Fighter) by 3".
    • The Castellan's Mark: If the bearer is on the battlefield, at the beginning of the game but before the first turn you can remove them and up to two ADEPTUS CUSTODES units from the battlefield and set them up again following the mission rules. 
    • Auric Shackles: Your opponent must subtract 1 from the Attacks characteristic of enemy units whilst they are within 6" of the bearer (to a minimum of 1). 
    • Obliteratum: The model may take any point on the battlefield within 12". Any enemy units within 3" of that point suffer D3 mortal wounds on a D6 roll of a 4+. Subtract 1 from the result if the target is a CHARACTER. 
    • Raiment of Sorrows: Roll a D6 each time a friendly ADEPTUS CUSTODES INFANTRY or BIKER model is destroyed within 6" of the bearer, before removing the model as a casualty. On a 4+ that model musters one last surge of strength before succumbing to its wounds; it can either shoot with one of its weapons as if it were the Shooting phase, or fight as if it were the Fight phase. You cannot use the Even in Death… Stratagem on a model that does so.
    • The Emperor's Light:
      • Model with a misericordia only. The Emperor’s Light replaces the model’s misericordia and has the following profile:

• (Melee) Melee, S User, Ap-3, Damage 2. Each time the bearer fights, it can make 1 additional attack with this weapon unless it is also equipped with a storm shield. In addition, enemy units cannot fire Overwatch at the bearer.

Wargear Changes

Weapon profile changes: many weapons are either frustratingly ineffective or far too random for the very high points costs you pay for each model (e.g. damage D3 weaponry). The below changes are included to reflect the elite nature of the weapons and to ensure they match up to game mechanics. The rate of fire and consistency of damage were two areas of particular interest when making the recommendations below.

Codex: Adeptus Custodes

• Custodes Vexilla
    • Reduce the points cost of the Vexilla Imperius so that it matches the Vexilla Magnifica.
  • Watcher’s Axe
    • (Shooting): Range 24”, Assault 4, S5, AP-2, Damage 1.
    • (Melee): Melee, S(x2), AP-3, Damage 3.
  • Castellan Axe
    • (Shooting): Range 24”, Assault 4, S4, AP-2, Damage 1. (The current profile is completely ineffective given the volume of fire available. This will increase their rate of fire to assist with horde clearing, and the assault option will offer more mobility.)
  • Guardian Spear
    • (Shooting): Range 24”, Assault 4, S4, AP-2, Damage 1.
    • (Melee): Melee Strike, S+2, AP-3, Damage 2;
    • (Melee): Melee Sweep, S User, AP-2, Damage 1; make 2 hit rolls for each attack with this weapon, instead of 1. 
    • Comes in two fight modes
  • Sentinel Blade
    • (Shooting): Range 12”, Pistol 4, S4, AP-1, D1. (The lack of AP-1 on this weapon makes it completely useless. The increased rate of fire and improved AP will improve its value in combat).
    • (Melee): No change.
  • Salvo Launcher
    • Melta Missile: Range 24”, Assault 2, S8, AP-4, Damage D6. (Volume of shots was too low to be effective).
    • Flakkburst Missile: Range 24”, Assault 3, S7, AP-2, Damage 2.

Codex: Adeptus Custodes ForgeWorld

• Galatus Warblade
    • (Melee): Melee Profile 1 (Smash), S+3, AP-3, Damage 3; +D3 attacks when the bearer fights.
    • (Melee): Melee Profile 2 (Slash), S User, AP-2, Damage 1, make 2 hit rolls for each attack with this weapon, instead of 1.
    • (Shooting): Range 12”, Heavy 2D6, S6, AP-1, D1. (increase range to 12”)
  • Adrasite Spear
    • (Shooting): Range 18”, Assault 3, S6, AP-2, Damage 2.
  • Pyrasite Spear
    • (Shooting): Range 18”, Assault 2, S8, AP-4, Damage D3+2.
  • Kinetic Destructor
    • (Shooting): Range 18”, Pistol 3, S6, AP-2, Damage 2.
  • Venatari Lance
    • (Shooting): Range 18", Assault 2, S6, AP-2, Damage 2.
    • (Melee): Melee Profile 1 (Smash), S+2, AP-3, Damage 2.
    • (Melee): Melee Profile 2 (Slash), S User, AP-2, Damage 1, make 2 hit rolls for each attack with this weapon, instead of 1.

Unit Changes (Codex)

I have not gone into specific points changes as this will be dependent on the overall changes made from the above recommendations and play-testing feedback.

Trajann Valoris

• Increase wounds to 8.
  • Add the SHIELD CAPTAIN Keyword so he can shoulder the mantle when he is not the Warlord.
  • Legendary Commander: revised so that he allows reroll of all to hit rolls, and reroll wound rolls of 1.

Shield Captain on Foot, in Allarus Terminator Armour and on Dawneagle Jetbike

• Increase to Shield Captain on foot to 7 wounds and the Terminator and Dawneagle variants to 8 wounds. (Currently, these are outclassed by Primaris variants)
  • Possible allow them to take any combination of Guardian Spear, Castellan Axe, Sentinel Blade and/or Storm Shield to open up conversion opportunities e.g. Guardian Spear and Storm Shield.

Remaining Units

• No further recommendations are made as the above profile, rule and weapon changes will reinforce the competitive and narrative value of the units in the codex.

Unit Changes (Forge World)

I have only used a small number of the Forge World units in 8th edition so I am only commenting on my personal experience.

Custodian Guard with Adrasite and Pyrithite Spears

• Merge these profiles into the single Custodian Guard profile and have them as alternative weapon options. 

Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought

• Add the Aegis of the Emperor ability. This will give the unit a 4+ invulnerable.

Contemptor-Galatus Dreadnought

• Add the Aegis of the Emperor ability. This will give the unit a 3+ invulnerable.

Venatari Custodians

• Add Infiltrator ability. The unit may deploy up to 9" away from the enemy during deployment.

Telemon Heavy Dreadnought

• Currently, it’s a very expensive and poor imitation of the Relic Leviathan Dreadnought.
  • Add Power of the Machine Spirit: so it can move and fire without penalty.
  • Spiculus Volley: modify so the rule so that if the Telemon remains stationary, then it can fire all of its weapons twice. (It’s too expensive for the low volume of fire and completely outclassed by similar units in its category.)
  • Add an ability Massive Form: the Telemon can leave combat and still shoot with a -1 penalty; this will prevent it being bogged down and unable to fire by a Ripper Swarm or Nurgling Base.

Changes

v1.3 - 26/10/19 - Added new Stratagem (Glory of the Emperor, Renowned Warrior); updated new relic (Mantle of Majesty).

v1.2 - 12/10/19 - Updated relics again, updated Trajann's Legendary Commander ability to affect all rolls to hit.

v1.1 - 11/10/19 - Updated Venatari and weaponry; updated relics; updated guardian spear to include two fight modes (sweep/strike). 

v1.0 - 10/10/19 - Draft

Edited by masterstrider

I agree on the relics and the more consistent damage for melee weapons

I agree on the better psychic defense for the the Aegis of the Emperor as well.
I'd suggest a stratagem to enhance it by +1 or +2 or something for the save vs mortal wounds as well, since they are an achilles heel for the army.

I agree rolling Sisters of Silence into the Codex.

What I'm not sure I agree on, is the changes to the gun profiles. 
Yes the increase in ROF, and move to assault weapons makes sense.
But i'd make the axes and spears the following instead. The 2 damage aspect is really helpful and unique for our army.

Range 24”, Assault 4, S4, AP-1, Damage 2

Move the swords to this (The sword DOES have 2 barrels after all, and give it that AP-1)

Range 12", Pistol 6, S4, AP-1, 1 damage

I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned Allarus custodians or Venatari.

Is there anything specific you'd like to call out. 

With regards to the Venetari, I agree that the pistols should probably be pistol 3 or 4 given the points you pay for them. They add no tactical value at the moment, so they probably need a new special rule that either lets them move after shooting or forward deployment (infiltrator) so they can be used to apply some early pressure. That would make them much better. 

step 1 - rename codex to Codex: Talons of the Emperor.

step 2 - add the 3 sisters of silence units

step 3 - add SoS character & transport from FW

etc etc etc.....

I might just start Custodes if that happens.

Alternatively you can give different bonuses depending on what you run. Mono-Custodes gets whatever they get, Mono-Sisters gets an additional boost to ther psychic blank ability and mixed Talons gets something else...maybe some sort of bodyguard rule, where Custodes units can protect the much squishier Sisters. Some bonus that improves their ability to work together.

I pretty much agree with everything you’ve wrote. Custodes have felt left behind these last 6 months and always struggled against Tau etc, now playing against the new marines codex has really brought home their limitations. Edited by Dallas Drake

I agree with most, that a 2nd edition should contain the sisters, with rules for a combined talons force as well as stand-alone custodes. 

I'm so-so on most of the other ideas. What made me scratch my head though - you wouldn't change the land raider? Since it's our only standard transport outside FW units currently, this one needs a fix bad. It's too expensive and lacks survivability. I'd imagine custodes LRs to be a bit more survivable really. 

And if we are rolling the sisters into the codex, give them a character, some HQ option and maybe a heavy support as well. If the studio follows the advancement of the story as Chris Wraight put it in The Emperor's Legion, the Sisters should have been properly outfitted again by Dark Imperium. As far as I got it from there, the Captain-General and the Senate were on the verge of resurrecting the old talons. 

I’ve got to read more of this later but off the bat I do like your mono codex bonuses.

Reading the new strats and comparing them to marines, I feel like lore wise as well as mechanics wise, they sorely need a “divine creation of the God Emperor” type of Strat. 1 Cp to force all to wounds to be on a 4+ for the phase. Too often they are victimized by spammy, basic firepower with mutidamage.... ( IE Autocannons, tau , Ork Lootas). It’s just become too easy now.

Abilities

• Aegis of the Emperor: Remains the same with 1 exception; improving the defence against mortal wounds. Given how mortal wounds propensity has increased across the game, this is a serious issues for the Adeptus Custodes.
  • Revised Aegis of the Emperor: Models with this ability have a 5+ invulnerable save. When a model with this ability would lose a wound as a result of a mortal wound in the Psychic phase, roll one D6; on a 5+ that wound is not lost.

I can get behind this change in the event SoS do not get embedded in our Codex. If they do, I no longer think this is required.

Detachment Rules

• Abilities: Remains the same.
  • Sword Guardians: Remains the same.
  • The Emperor’s Chosen: Remains the same. (Oddly, there is no way to raise this bonus to a 3+ invulnerable within the book itself. A storm shield comes with a natural 3+ invulnerable, and the two relics that offer the improved save are also natural 3+ saves (Auric Aquilas, Eagles Eye). So this limit seems superfluous. With my recommendations below, the limitation would actually come into effect.

New Mono-Faction Abilities: If your army is battle forged and each unit contains the ADEPTUS CUSTODES keyword, then the following rules apply.

• For the Emperor: In any turn in which a unit with this ability charged, was charged or made a Heroic Intervention, you may add 1 their attacks characteristic in the Fight phase. Furthermore, units with this trait can Advance and Charge in the same turn.
  • Affected Units: all INFANTRY, BIKER and DREADNOUGHT units. (This will give the army the necessary speed it lacks to get around the board. It is primarily a melee focused army, but with so many ways to teleport and maneuver available to other armies, Custodes can be very static in their current gameplay).

I don't think we really need this. What we need is viable transport, and we already have FGLTC as well as Vexilla Teleport Homer. We're also already absolute beasts in melee combat. We can already 1-shot knights in melee with 8 Wardens, this rule feels overkill.

Stratagems

• From Golden Light They Come: 1CP per unit, no limit to usage except Tactical Reserves rules in Matched Play.
    • revised so that you just spend 1CP and you can place a single unit in Tactical Reserves. This can be used multiple times and each time it only costs 1CP. This remove the limit and CP tax penalty. Adeptus Custodes are already so CP starved, this is an unnecessary nerf.

This feels like a reasonable change for the better

• Spark of Divinity: Use this Stratagem when an enemy PSYKER manifests a psychic power within 24" of an ADEPTUS CUSTODES unit from your army. Roll a D6, and on a 4+ the power is denied.
    • increase the range of the stratagem to 24”. The current range is far too short and simplify the roll to a 4+ denial.

Seems a bit OP. We're custodes, we're not really meant to Deny, nor are we supposed to become better at denying that psykers. I like it how it is TBH. If I need Deny the Witch I'll bring Primaris Psykers from AM.

• Concussion Grenades: Use this Stratagem in your Shooting phase, when choosing a unit of Allarus Custodians from your army to attack. Until the end of the phase, their balistus grenade launchers have an AP characteristic of 0, and units that are hit by these attacks are stunned until the end of the turn – they cannot fire Overwatch and your opponent must subtract 1 from hit rolls made for the unit. Units with the AIRCRAFT, VEHICLE and TITANIC KEYWORDS are not affected.
    • Reword the stratagem to remove the INFANTRY only restriction and allow it to affect all units except units with the AIRCRAFT, VEHICLE AND TITANIC KEYWORDS. This will allow it to affect DRONES AND BIKES.

I don't feel like this is necessary. Concussion Grenades is good enough as is.

• Tanglefoot Grenade: Use this Stratagem in your opponent’s Movement or Charge phase. Choose an enemy unit within 12" of an ADEPTUS CUSTODES INFANTRY unit from your army and roll a D6. Your opponent must reduce that unit’s Movement characteristic or charge distance by the result until the end of the phase. Units with the AIRCRAFT keyword are not affected.
    • remove the restriction so that the FLY keyword is also affected but that AIRCRAFT are not. Also allow it to be used anytime during the movement/charge phase instead of at the start so it can be more flexible/reactionary.

If they don't have feet you can't tangle it :biggrin.: the restriction to the start of the movement phase stops it from becoming problematic. Making it flexible makes it problematic

• Open the Vaults: revised so that it costs 1CP per relic instead of 1/3CP for 1-2 relics. This would follow the trend in the Space Marines Codex.

Every army is 1/3CP. It seems unreasonable to ask for custodes to be different just because.

• Sentinel Storm: Use this Stratagem at the end of your opponent’s Shooting phase. Choose one of your ADEPTUS CUSTODES units that is within 1" of an enemy unit. The unit you chose can shoot with its ranged weapons as if it were your Shooting phase.
    • revised so that it works with ANY ranged weapon. Currently there is no reason to spend 2CP to use this stratagem. This would assist units bogged down in protracted combat.

No point calling it Sentinel Storm if it works on any weapon. I agree it's a totally crap strat but I think allowing my squad of Wardens to shoot while in melee would become problematic

• Castellan Strike: Use this Stratagem when you select one of your ADEPTUS CUSTODES units to attack in the Fight phase. Improve the AP of that unit’s melee weapons by 1 (e.g. AP0 becomes AP-1) until the end of the phase.
    • revised so that it improves ANY melee weapon AP by 1, e.g. AP-2 becomes AP-3.

I disagree with making it work on any weapon. The purpose of this and spear strat is so that if a player chooses one over the other and come up against a unit in a random match that needs the alternate profile, you have options. Using this on a Guardian Spear would be silly.

• Unleash the Lions: 1CP: Allow it to affect any unit, not just Allarus Custodians

This strat is extremely situational as it is, but allowing any one of my squads to break up seems highly unreasonable

• Victor of the Blood Games: 1CP. The rest is the same.
    • Reduce the CP from 2 to 1. It’s way too expensive in an army that is already low on command points.

I can get behind this. So many people use it in fluffy games and it mostly DOES BUGGER ALL, and some of those that do forget to use the damn thing anyway.

New Stratagems

• Impenetrable Fortress (2CP): When this unit is targeted by an attack in the Shooting, Overwatch or Fight phase, they may increase their invulnerable save by 1 (to a maximum of 3+) for the duration of the phase. (This will give Adeptus Custodes some needed durability to tank damage when required.)
  • Make it 3 CP otherwise its just plain busted
  • Into the Fray (2CP): Use this Stratagem before a unit who arrived from reinforcements declares a charge in the Charge phase. The selected unit may add 2” to the resulting charge roll. (This will provide some improved ability to get units into combat from deep strike, which the army severely lacks.)
  • On one hand it seems a bit much, on the other its 2CP and might whiff - unsure if this is necessary and puts us in Battleforged Passive territory
  • Invincible Warriors (3CP): Use this Stratagem at the end of the Fight phase. Select an ADEPTUS CUSTODES unit from your army that has already fought once this Fight phase to fight a second time. (This is sorely needed at the moment).
  • I personally WANT THIS SO BAD but I have to admit it'd be really REALLY busted for us
  • Unmatched Expertise (1CP/3CP): Use this Stratagem before the battle, after you have chosen your Warlord. Choose one ADEPTUS CUSTODES CHARACTER model from your army for 1CP, or choose two such models for 3CP. Each model can choose an Adeptus Custodes Warlord Trait (note that this model is only regarded as your Warlord for the purposes of this Warlord Trait). All of the Adeptus Custodes Warlord Traits in your army must be different (if randomly generated, re-roll duplicate results), and no model can have more than one. You can only use this Stratagem once per battle. (This adds to the heroic feel of the army and adds tactical flexibility and customisation.)
  • Interesting as its taken from a couple of other Codexes, but only 2 of our WL traits are actually decent so I doubt many players would ever use this beyond Superior Creation and Radiant Mantle

Warlord Traits

• Champion of the Imperium: No change
  • It sucks and its the very reason I never run Trajaan as my WL. It needs changing.
  • Peerless Warrior: The model gains +1 wound and may increase the damage of weapon attacks by 1. (Previous version was extremely situational).
  • Superior Creation: No change
  • Impregnable Mind: No change
  • Radiant Mantle: No change
  • Emperor’s Companion: The model gains +D3 attacks when it charges, is charged or performs a heroic intervention.  

The rest seem reasonable

Relics of Terra

• Apart from Auric Aquilas and Eagle Eye, the relics have very little or situational value. I would consider they be revised and replaced with items more suitable to the army. Some alternative suggestion below:
    • The Castellan's Mark: If the bearer is on the battlefield, at the beginning of the game but before the first turn you can remove them and up to two ADEPTUS CUSTODES units from the battlefield and set them up again following the mission rules. 
    • Auric Shackles: Your opponent must subtract 1 from the Attacks characteristic of enemy units whilst they are within 6" of the bearer (to a minimum of 1). 
    • Obliteratum: The model may take any point on the battlefield within 12". Any enemy units within 3" of that point suffer D3 mortal wounds on a D6 roll of a 4+. Subtract 1 from the result if the target is a CHARACTER. 
    • Raiment of Sorrows: Roll a D6 each time a friendly ADEPTUS CUSTODES INFANTRY or BIKER model is destroyed within 6" of the bearer, before removing the model as a casualty. On a 4+ that model musters one last surge of strength before succumbing to its wounds; it can either shoot with one of its weapons as if it were the Shooting phase, or fight as if it were the Fight phase. You cannot use the Even in Death… Stratagem on a model that does so.

While I agree most of our relics are outright trash, some of these are a bit OP

• The Emperor's Light:
    • Model with a misericordia only. The Emperor’s Light replaces the model’s misericordia and has the following profile:

• (Melee) Melee, S User, Ap-3, Damage 2. Each time the bearer fights, it can make 1 additional attack with this weapon unless it is also equipped with a storm shield. In addition, enemy units cannot fire Overwatch at the bearer.

• I really like this one

Wargear Changes

Weapon profile changes: many weapons are either frustratingly ineffective or far too random for the very high points costs you pay for each model (e.g. damage D3 weaponry). The below changes are included to reflect the elite nature of the weapons and to ensure they match up to game mechanics. The rate of fire and consistency of damage were two areas of particular interest when making the recommendations below.

Codex: Adeptus Custodes

• Custodes Vexilla
    • Reduce the points cost of the Vexilla Imperius so that it matches the Vexilla Magnifica.
    • A nice change but it will still never get used outside of fluffy games
  • Watcher’s Axe
    • (Shooting): Range 24”, Assault 4, S5, AP-2, Damage 1.
  • Castellan Axe
    • (Shooting): Range 24”, Assault 4, S4, AP-2, Damage 1. (The current profile is completely ineffective given the volume of fire available. This will increase their rate of fire to assist with horde clearing, and the assault option will offer more mobility.)
  • Guardian Spear
    • (Shooting): Range 24”, Assault 4, S4, AP-2, Damage 1.
    • (Melee): Melee Strike, S+2, AP-3, Damage 2;
    • (Melee): Melee Sweep, S User, AP-2, Damage 1; make 2 hit rolls for each attack with this weapon, instead of 1. 
    • Comes in two fight modes
  • Sentinel Blade
    • (Shooting): Range 12”, Pistol 4, S4, AP-1, D1. (The lack of AP-1 on this weapon makes it completely useless. The increased rate of fire and improved AP will improve its value in combat).
    • (Melee): No change.

Not sure I agree on Assault weapons, I think bumping out RF from 1 to 2 would suffice. I agree one of our units should have sweep but I'm unsure which one or how it should be implemented

If we want to clear hordes we're supposed to bring bikes.

Pistol 4 on the sword seems a bit OP if I'm honest.

• Salvo Launcher
    • Melta Missile: Range 24”, Assault 2, S8, AP-4, Damage D6. (Volume of shots was too low to be effective).
    • Flakkburst Missile: Range 24”, Assault 3, S7, AP-2, Damage 2.
    • Melta should not be assault. it needs to remain heavy. I agree volume of shots is too low however. Increasing this somehow would make it viable.

Codex: Adeptus Custodes ForgeWorld

• Galatus Warblade
    • (Melee): Melee Profile 1 (Smash), S+3, AP-3, Damage 3; +D3 attacks when the bearer fights.
    • (Shooting): Range 12”, Heavy 2D6, S6, AP-1, D1. (increase range to 12”)
    • The Galatus Dread needs redesigning from the ground up because it's one of the worst dreads in the game.
  • Adrasite Spear
    • (Shooting): Range 18”, Assault 3, S6, AP-2, Damage 2.
  • Pyrasite Spear
    • (Shooting): Range 18”, Assault 2, S8, AP-4, Damage D3+2.
  • Kinetic Destructor
    • (Shooting): Range 18”, Pistol 3, S6, AP-2, Damage 2.
  • Venatari Lance
    • (Shooting): Range 18", Assault 2, S6, AP-2, Damage 2.
    • (Melee): Melee Profile 1 (Smash), S+2, AP-3, Damage 2.

Unit Changes (Codex)

I have not gone into specific points changes as this will be dependent on the overall changes made from the above recommendations and play-testing feedback.

Trajann Valoris

• Increase wounds to 8.
  • Add the SHIELD CAPTAIN Keyword so he can shoulder the mantle when he is not the Warlord.
  • Legendary Commander: revised so that he allows reroll of all to hit rolls, and reroll wound rolls of 1.
  • I agree on the Shield Captain keyword but nothing else. He's already good enough

Shield Captain on Foot, in Allarus Terminator Armour and on Dawneagle Jetbike

• Increase to Shield Captain on foot to 7 wounds and the Terminator and Dawneagle variants to 8 wounds. (Currently, these are outclassed by Primaris variants)
  • Possible allow them to take any combination of Guardian Spear, Castellan Axe, Sentinel Blade and/or Storm Shield to open up conversion opportunities e.g. Guardian Spear and Storm Shield.
  • While Primaris variants have more wounds, we have a greater invuln save and passives. I have no issues with Shield Caps as they stand at the moment, although I would like to see them allowed to take a Storm Shield with any weapon

Remaining Units

• No further recommendations are made as the above profile, rule and weapon changes will reinforce the competitive and narrative value of the units in the codex.
  • THE ALLARUS ARE ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE COMPARED TO AQUILONS. They desperately need fixing because not everyone wants to pay top $$$ for FW Aquilons that are terrible quality. Points need reducing or let me drop the grenade launcher cause it's trash.

Unit Changes (Forge World)

I have only used a small number of the Forge World units in 8th edition so I am only commenting on my personal experience.

Custodian Guard with Adrasite and Pyrithite Spears

• Merge these profiles into the single Custodian Guard profile and have them as alternative weapon options. 

Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought

• Add the Aegis of the Emperor ability. This will give the unit a 4+ invulnerable.
  • Agreed

Contemptor-Galatus Dreadnought

• Add the Aegis of the Emperor ability. This will give the unit a 3+ invulnerable.
  • 4++. 3++ on a Dreadnought is simply ridiculous. You'd never kill the damn thing.

Venatari Custodians

• Add Infiltrator ability. The unit may deploy up to 9" away from the enemy during deployment.
  • Too problematic. The issue is they sit in a weird spot between bikes and troops.

Telemon Heavy Dreadnought

• Currently, it’s a very expensive and poor imitation of the Relic Leviathan Dreadnought.
  • Add Power of the Machine Spirit: so it can move and fire without penalty.
  • Spiculus Volley: modify so the rule so that if the Telemon remains stationary, then it can fire all of its weapons twice. (It’s too expensive for the low volume of fire and completely outclassed by similar units in its category.)
  • Add an ability Massive Form: the Telemon can leave combat and still shoot with a -1 penalty; this will prevent it being bogged down and unable to fire by a Ripper Swarm or Nurgling Base.
  • All they need to do is revert the weapon profile to the pre-nerf profile and it's back to being balanced. Nothing else needs a change.

Changes

v1.2 - 12/10/19 - Updated relics again, updated Trajann's Legendary Commander ability to affect all rolls to hit.

v1.1 - 11/10/19 - Updated Venatari and weaponry; updated relics; updated guardian spear to include two fight modes (sweep/strike). 

v1.0 - 10/10/19 - Draft

Edited by rcoon

• 2 weeks later...
With SM models now getting increased wounds (i.e. 3 wounds for Aggressors, 6 wounds for Gravis Captain) surely our boys need a wound increase? 3 wounds on a Custodes Guard doesn’t quite feel like it did when the codex came out and 4 wounds is offset by all the d2 weapons out there now.

I think most of what is proposed (along with making it a Talons of the Emperor codex) are good calls. There’s just a couple of points I think you might need to look at again.

One is that the proposed weapon change for Guardian spears stacks too well with your other buffs. If a Warden was in combat he could get 4 attacks base, plus one for charging and then plus 2 more for your vexilla Strat. That brings him to 7 attacks. If he uses the sweep profile that jumps him to 14 attacks!

Now I don’t think any of those ideas are bad in themselves, they just stack too well.

The second point is more subjective but I believe the precedent backs it up. Calling for the special spears to be used in squads as an upgrade would be great and what I would prefer. However, GW has a policy of only writing rules on the data sheet for what you get in the box. They will never amend a data sheet to include options that the customer can only buy from Forgeworld. They’ve done it with all the Primaris stuff, the wargear lists have only been expanded if and when a new model from GW is coming out with that wargear, despite the fact that everyone could find that particular wargear in another kit, in their bits box of from Forgeworld.

Suggest it by all means but I wouldn’t hold it much hope for it.

Good luck with the email though, some great ideas in it to make Custodes better.

@MARK0SIAN: you have to remember, we don't get chapter/legion tactics or psychic buffs of any kind, so that's a whole lot of special rules and interactions that we completely miss out on. So sure, Warden's may each pump out 14 attacks each, but that's for a 61pt model, after spending 2CP, which are already extremely precious in the army, and buying a 100+pt vexilla that has to be within 6" of the unit. It's situational. Also, those 14 attacks are at S5, Ap-2, damage 1, so not earth shattering. It's a horde clearance ability. I've designed it in such a way as to be scalable, but not permanently on.

I don't know what GW really takes onboard. They're extremely secretive about what is in development and what they hope to achieve from different armies in terms of play style and impact on the game. But, they did offer a place to post those ideas, and they keep saying they read all the emails, so here's hoping.

Edited by masterstrider

@MARK0SIAN: you have to remember, we don't get chapter/legion tactics or psychic buffs of any kind, so that's a whole lot of special rules and interactions that we completely miss out on. So sure, Warden's may each pump out 14 attacks each, but that's for a 61pt model, after spending 2CP, which are already extremely precious in the army, and buying a 100+pt vexilla that has to be within 6" of the unit. It's situational. Also, those 14 attacks are at S5, Ap-2, damage 1, so not earth shattering. It's a horde clearance ability. I've designed it in such a way as to be scalable, but not permanently on.

I don't know what GW really takes onboard. They're extremely secretive about what is in development and what they hope to achieve from different armies in terms of play style and impact on the game. But, they did offer a place to post those ideas, and they keep saying they read all the emails, so here's hoping.

Our chapter tactics are the +1 to invulnerable saves. It’s not as great as what other armies get but it is something and lots of other armies don’t get psychic buffs either.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree with you that they need a boost and would love for your ideas to be taken on board, they’re great. I just think the combo to get 14 attacks per model (42 on a min sized unit) might be going too far, even berserkers fighting twice don’t get that many. Against a blob of Orks 3 of them would kill 23 of them and that’s without any rerolls or using the Strat to +1 to the wound roll.