Unit of the Week: Invictor Tactical Warsuit

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still).

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Invictor Tactical Warsuit

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use an Invictor?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiple units?
  • How are you making use of Concealed Positions and what weapon choice are you taking?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you.

I think they have some play in support of scouts, infiltrators, and/or incursors. Get several things right in your opponents line turn 1 that they have to deal with. Turn 2 some reserves come in and hit a flank. Allows the rest of your army to hopefully spread out and take control of objectives early. I think both weapon options are good. Only downside with the flamer is that it always wants to be deployed right in their face, while the autocannon is also good when deployed further back. 

Unfortunately, they don't get Red Thirst, so no +1 to wound. But that only really counts against T7 and up. 

I love its rules and I think it's one of the most useful units we currently have. A big fat distraction carnifex but not quite since the opponent doesn't just fall into the trap to focus on him because if he doesn't deal with him he'll do some good damage and tie something up right away.

And that's how I would play him as well.

However I hate its background/fluff and I don't want to have too many stealthy units in my army either so I'll never get one. :P

I love its rules and I think it's one of the most useful units we currently have. A big fat distraction carnifex but not quite since the opponent doesn't just fall into the trap to focus on him because if he doesn't deal with him he'll do some good damage and tie something up right away.

I agree, it also synergises well with our other ways of getting dangerous units into the opponent's face on T1 such as Forlorn Fury and UWOF. An Invictor can help take some of the heat off Captain Smash simply by standing vaguely nearby as several enemy units may become unable to target him.

I would probably go for the super-flamer version for maximum shock value and also defence if your opponent tries to tarpit it.

However I hate its background/fluff and I don't want to have too many stealthy units in my army either so I'll never get one. :tongue.:

I think of Vanguard less as 'stealthy' units, and more as aggressively forward deploying*. By the time the game has started the enemy knows where they are and the shooting has started. 

*At least, that's how I have to justify them to myself...

I expect these to go up in points come Chapter Approved. They are way to good at disrupting for what they cost. They're cheaper than a redemptor, for basically the same dread minus a tiny bit of ranged fire, but gets to start 9" away from the enemy, for 130-ish points. A local player has been stomping the 1k league just because if he goes first, his 2 warsuits just end games.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it isn't a dreadnought

;)

But yeah, that's pretty much the consensus

It wants to move to use its fist because it starts so close to the enemy, so auto hitting is good, and it's cheaper than the autocannons, and has that magical 12" range on a flamer.

For what it wants to do, it's just better