Alpha 2k - starter list

RoadRunna

Hi All

Looking for any comments in relation to my $2k WIP Alpha legion listing which I have built up from the Betrayal at Calth box with some FW stuff thrown in.  Will look to expand and have the budget to buy some more figs if my list is poor or needs a hole filled:

Wanting to play it Loyalist at this stage but may include some Traitor HQs if they are just too good to pass up ;-)

Plan to make the whole army Infiltrating with Pride of the Legion to stack out the Troops spots

HQ

Legion Delegatus -  Terminator Armour with T Hammer and Power Dagger

Legion Saboteur  - Combiweapon / Power axe and Arti Armour

Elites

9 Cataphractii Terminators -   Plasma Blaster / 6 combiweapons / 4 C-fists 5 P-fists

2 Rapier Laser Destroyers

10 Veteran Squad - 5 Combiweapons / 10 powerweapons / Melta Bombs / Sgt Arti Armour 

Troops

2 X Tactical Squads - Vexilla / Sgt has Arti Armour - Pwrweapon - MeltaBomb

5 man legion support squad with 5 plasma

Fast Attack

5 Man Seeker SQuad with 5 combiweapons / Sgt with Arti Armour

2 x Lascannon Tarantulas

2 x Lascannon Tarantulas

(23pts to spare!)

Happy Commenting!!

Edited by RoadRunna

Don't ever limit yourself to one Mutable Tactic in list writing already. You give up on your versatility.

Why do you include Tac Squads in a PotL list ? 

And you only have 2 PotL selections (1 unit Vets & 1 unit Terminators).

You could as well take those as elites and forego PotL if you're bringing Tacs anyways.

Speaking of which, if both your Vets and your Terminators bite the dust you'll be bleeding 2 VPs ... and then probably one more VP from Martial Hubris. Not a good prospect.

Lascannon Tarantulas work great ... in a Recon Company list that is.

The Saboteur only needs a Combi-Weapon in addition to his Melta Bomb, to keep him as cheap as possible. He'll be dead after 1 round anyways.

Five man Tac Support squad and Seeker squad will die round one if they can't claim a cover save.

Lots of scoring units is great for holding objectives.

Thanks for the comments.  As the list isn't CotH I can flick between the Mutable tactics options so no drama there.

I have taken the 2 tac squads for:

1) objective taking/camping as I felt my Vets should be getting stuck in rather than toasting marshmellows in the backfield; or

2) acting as a meatshield in front of my CC Vets during turn 1

Might swap one out for an assault squad instead

Will drop the stuff on this Saboteur 

The Tarantuals were there for some extra armour killing power so I may drop one unit to buff up my seekers but I don't really have much points to spare

Well, when not selecting 'Infiltrate' your units sure need either some transports or some apothecaries to make it across the battlefield.

Preferably assault vehicles for units wanting to charge.

And footsloggin' Cataphractii in particular are S.L.O.W.

I'd still sitch the RoW in this setup.

Combine the Tac Support and Seeker units into one bigger unit of either type.

Thanks for the help / comments with the list so I have had a play with it and reworked it as follows:

Alpha Legion - looking to take Counter-attack as Mutable Tactics (of course subject to enemy type).  This would combine with Skorr's infiltrate ability and Vet Squads own unique tactics

HQ

Autilon Skorr (takes Strategic Trait  - Master of Ambush to allow 3 units to infiltrate) / Rite of War - Pride of the Legion

Infiltrate him with the WeaponMaster Vets

Exodus 'The Assassin' - because I like the Vigilator model and think this is a fluffy choice

Elites

10 Cataphractii Terminators -   Plasma Blaster  /Heavy Flamer / 6 combiweapons / 4 C-fists 5 P-fists  (take as troops and infiltrate via Skorr)

10 Veteran Squad - 5 Combiweapons / 9 powerweapons / Melta Bombs / Sgt Arti Armour & PwrFist & PwrDagger (take as troops and infiltrate via Skorr and probably take Weaponmasters as Vet ability)

10 Veteran Squad - 2 Missile Launchers / Sgt Arti Armour & PwrFist & PwrDagger (take as troops with Machine Killer as Vet ability) 

Troops

10 man Assault Squad - 1 pwerweapon, (not enough points for another one) Sgt Arti Armour & PwrFist & PwrDagger 

Fast Attack

10 Man Seeker Squad with 5 combiweapons / Sgt with Arti Armour (infiltrate via Skorr)

2 x Lascannon Tarantulas

Thoughts are to deploy the Terminators and WeaponMaster Vets up close with Skorr.  Seekers infiltrate to target enemy squad of choice.  Assaulters to jump forward to help out the Termies/WeaponMasters.  Other Vet squad hunts armour while taking an objective.  Rapiers and Tarantulas hunt armour also from the backfield.

Thanks for the help / comments with the list so I have had a play with it and reworked it as follows:

Alpha Legion - looking to take Counter-attack as Mutable Tactics (of course subject to enemy type). This would combine with Skorr's infiltrate ability and Vet Squads own unique tactics

HQ

Autilon Skorr (takes Strategic Trait - Master of Ambush to allow 3 units to infiltrate) / Rite of War - Pride of the Legion

Infiltrate him with the WeaponMaster Vets

Exodus 'The Assassin' - because I like the Vigilator model and think this is a fluffy choice

Elites

10 Cataphractii Terminators - Plasma Blaster /Heavy Flamer / 6 combiweapons / 4 C-fists 5 P-fists (take as troops and infiltrate via Skorr)

10 Veteran Squad - 5 Combiweapons / 9 powerweapons / Melta Bombs / Sgt Arti Armour & PwrFist & PwrDagger (take as troops and infiltrate via Skorr and probably take Weaponmasters as Vet ability)

10 Veteran Squad - 2 Missile Launchers / Sgt Arti Armour & PwrFist & PwrDagger (take as troops with Machine Killer as Vet ability)

Troops

10 man Assault Squad - 1 pwerweapon, (not enough points for another one) Sgt Arti Armour & PwrFist & PwrDagger

Fast Attack

10 Man Seeker Squad with 5 combiweapons / Sgt with Arti Armour (infiltrate via Skorr)

2 x Lascannon Tarantulas

Thoughts are to deploy the Terminators and WeaponMaster Vets up close with Skorr. Seekers infiltrate to target enemy squad of choice. Assaulters to jump forward to help out the Termies/WeaponMasters. Other Vet squad hunts armour while taking an objective. Rapiers and Tarantulas hunt armour also from the backfield.

While it’s ok to build your list around a mutable tactic, I like to not choose that until I see my opponents army. This list still feels a bit discombobulated, but this version definitely makes more sense than the other one.