Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

For the Founding Father! Kallas' UM Log

Howling Griffons Ultramarines Painting Battle Reports

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Joukernaut

Joukernaut

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 454 posts
while tremor shells are awesome, don’t underestimate the regular shots of the thunderfire cannon. Firing twice with 4D3 S5 shots at AP-2 (devastator doctrine) and BS 2+ does some serious work against infantry.
  • Black Blow Fly likes this

Kallas

Kallas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,179 posts
  • Faction: Howling Griffons

while tremor shells are awesome, don’t underestimate the regular shots of the thunderfire cannon. Firing twice with 4D3 S5 shots at AP-2 (devastator doctrine) and BS 2+ does some serious work against infantry.

Oh absolutely!

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,981 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE
I love my TFC .
  • Joukernaut likes this
The world would be a better place if people stopped complaining about Primaris Space Marines.
=][=
my 40k blog:https://greenblowfly.../alan-seds.html - Terminus Est - Space Marines 247=][=
wc.jpg
Blood and Honor!
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Mary_Sue Mary Sue and Plot Armor are terms used by losers

Kallas

Kallas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,179 posts
  • Faction: Howling Griffons

Hi folks, back with my second League game battle report. Took a little longer to get it written up, so sorry about that! This one is against Nurgle Daemons (and some Death Guard Daemon Princes).

The Lists:

Howling Griffons:

Spoiler

Slightly tweaked from the previous list after hammering out a few things. With the Chapter Master bubble, the -1 to hit from the Chapter Tactic isn't too bad, so Calm Under Fire isn't super necessary; and Adept of the Codex helps with CP regeneration. I also put in a couple of AssBacks and the Ironclad to give me more anti-horde firepower and a decent melee threat; useful against Daemon Princes!

The Librarian got the Tome of Malcador so that I would have options. Storm of the Emperor's Wrath might be worthwhile against Plaguebearers, and Psychic Shackles/Scryer's Gaze are both reasonable.

I obviously have less CP to play around with in this list iteration, but as long as I'm not being frivolous it should be alright.

+++

Nurgle Daemons:

Spoiler

So a pretty nasty, if somewhat standard, Nurgle Daemons list. Lots of Plaguebearers are going to be a pain in the butt to remove, but at least he isn't stacking up a unit of -2 to hit (which would make them a nightmare to prevent reaching me). -1 I can probably deal with; -2 is horrible. The Scrivener is also annoying, making the PBs ridiculously fast, and the Bilepiper making them harder to remove with morale is also just nuts.

The Daemon Princes are going to hurt if they reach me. Between their possible smites and their Talons, they can do some serious damage, even to my Land Raiders.

A lot of this match up will come down to the deployment and mission. A good set could see me doing alright, but I want to avoid Search and Destroy deployment (which has the least distance between us and gives me the least amount of room to manoeuvre).

+++

Missions/Deployment

The mission rolled up was #1 Seize Ground (six objectives, preset: bonus for holding/contesting five or more). Not terrible, but I'm likely going to be conceding the bonus point every round, and I can't see myself contesting him holding more.

Deployment was...Search and Destroy. Oh.

Secondary Objectives

Howling Griffons:

• Reaper - Even though they're tough to remove, the Plaguebearers are going to get shot up, and need to be removed, so this is kind of a no-brainer.
  • Headhunter - His Princes are going to be aggressively in my face, so I should be able to get some points off of them, and if I'm lucky enough to blow through his PBs, I might get at the squishy(er) ones hanging back.
  • Engineers - I don't want my Scouts involved too early, as they're very fragile and will give up Kill VP easily, so having them in the transports and hanging back on an objective isn't a huge loss, and he doesn't have much mobility/range to get rid of them quickly. Should be able to score these quite easily. One unit of Bolters, and the Knife Scouts were my chosen units.

Nurgle:

• Big Game Hunter - I have seven eligible vehicles and they're what he's mostly going to be smashing, so reasonable.
  • Recon - Nurgle Daemons aren't actually slow, and in S&D he's going to be in every quarter in turn one. Very easy to achieve.
  • Engineers - Two units of Nurglings were chosen (1x3, and the 1x4 unit) and they'd be pretty safe to be honest. If his plan goes off, then I'm going to be very busy killing off PBs in my face and won't have much left to shoot at Nurglings.

Since I'd 'won' the roll, I chose my deployment zone and my opponent started the deployment (alternating one unit at a time). With my transports, I finished deploying first  and so got the +1 to the roll off. I promptly lose the roll and fail to Seize the Initiative. Sigh...

Deployment:

Griffons Deployment

Spoiler

Nurgle Deployment

Spoiler

One unit of Plaguebearers is in the Warp for 2CP.

Additionally, all three units get the Plague Banner stratagem (as it's pre-game) for 2D weapons once per game.

+++

Round One

Nurgle Turn One

Spoiler

Griffons Turn One

Spoiler

End of Round One

Spoiler

+++

Round Two

Nurgle Turn Two

Spoiler

Griffons Turn Two

Spoiler

End of Round Two

Spoiler

+++

Round Three

Nurgle Turn Three

Spoiler

Griffons Turn Three

Spoiler

End of Round Three

Spoiler

+++

Round Four

Nurgle Turn Four

Spoiler

Griffons Turn Four

Spoiler

End of Round Four

Spoiler

+++

Round Five

Nurgle Turn Five

Spoiler

Griffons Turn Five

Spoiler

End of Round Five

Spoiler

+++

Round Six

Nurgle Turn Six

Spoiler

Griffons Turn Six

Spoiler

End of Round Six; End of Game!

Spoiler

Post Game Thoughts:

Spoiler

Well. I'm tired out from thinking about that game again, and I've got another League game tonight against White Scars, yikes!

Thanks for reading folks, hope you enjoyed it, and as always I'm happy to hear your thoughts, comments and criticisms.

Cheers,

Tom.

• jonjacob, librisrouge and robofish7591 like this

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,981 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE
Wow that was a hard fought win for sure. Plaguebearers for days with full character support is bad news.
The world would be a better place if people stopped complaining about Primaris Space Marines.
=][=
my 40k blog:https://greenblowfly.../alan-seds.html - Terminus Est - Space Marines 247=][=
wc.jpg
Blood and Honor!
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Mary_Sue Mary Sue and Plot Armor are terms used by losers

StrummersGhost

StrummersGhost

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 61 posts
Very much enjoying the batreps, good job on the second game! I'm also continually intrigued by your use of multiple Land Raiders as I haven't seen any lists like that for a long time, it's great to see you getting success with it

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Howling Griffons, Ultramarines, Painting, Battle Reports

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users