Salamander Playstyle?

Jacques Corbin

Greetings esteemed Sons of Vulkan! Hail my beloved cousins!

Just thought I would pop over from the Ravenspire to ask about how Salamanders play currently, and how, if at all this will change when the supplement drops?

Like my own Raven Guard, in previous editions we were jump pack ninjas, then 8th dropped, and we became a stealthy gunline army. Now, with our supplement, we are getting back to our covert ops roots.

How are Salamanders this edition? What changes to playstyles will the supplement bring?

The big rumor I read was the +1 to hit within 12". Immediately I thought of Combiweapons, and how that would negate firing both barrels at -1 to hit. As well as safe overcharged Plasma at 12", so Combiplasma on a Scout Sergeant, and a heavy Bolter in the same squad,for Hellfire Shells hitting in 2+ with a free reroll.

Also, the -1 for moving and firing Heavy Weapons in negated if you move within 12".

For Primaris, drop those Plasma Inceptors in and wreak havoc with that overcharged Plasma with +1 to hit. Perhaps the Hellblasters with the lighter Plasma will be most viable with your Chapter Tactics. Catechism of Fire from a Chaplain will be even more brutal, because now you are hitting the closest enemy on 2+ (within 12") and then you will get +1 to wound.

For my Raven Guard, I used the 3 Fs. Find 'em, Fix 'em, and :cuss 'em. But for Salamanders, the concepts of Mobility, Counter-Mobility, and Survivability seem to make the most sense. Especially the Counter-Mobility part. Salamanders have always been a close quarters shooting army, and I see them as an army that specializes in containing the enemy. You can force the enemy to castle up, or divide and conquer. Then, you drop the Thunder Hammer!

Thoughts?

It would be awesome to have a force good at Close Quarters Battle(CQB) and not close combat (hand to hand).

That seems to be the Salamander way in the lore. Get in close but not necessarily hand to hand.

The +1 to hit within 12" would be awesome especially if it worked on overwatch as well.

IMHO 40k could use an army that gave you a more realistic feel of close in gunfighters. Real world you are still shooting at eachother even if your just across the room from one another. I would like Salamanders to play like that.

Something to also keep in mind is the chapter tactic Master Artisans which gives you a free rerolls in the shooting & wounding and assault & wounding phases. Giving us a potential 4 CP per unit per turn.

I think Salamanders are going to still run MSU. I think Salamanders are going to be the next bandwagon army as well. We'll know for sure in about two weeks though. I'll have my supplement pre-ordered on my iPad on the 23rd.

So far, I'm planning on running my Sallies in a Brigade.

[HQ] Librarian in Phobos

WL Traits: +2S, +2T

[HQ] Librarian in Phobos

[HQ] Librarian in Phobos

[E] Invictor x3

[FA] Plasma Inceptors x3

[HS] Eliminator Squad x3

[T] Infiltrator Squad (10-man) x3

[T] Incursor Squad (10-man) x3

This is what I'm thinking initially but will most likely change once we find out more information.

Just like in the fluff. Flamers and melta as opposed to the normal marine standard of plasma. Now what I am wondering is, successor salamanders with long range marksmen and artisans. Now we have 11" flamers? in drop pods?

Exactly that. I'm so hungry for my old 7th Ed style of play that I'm considering a successor chapter just to do this

After seeing the new codex on YouTube I gotta say we are in for a real treat. Our Stratagems make us extremely powerful in close-range firefights. The ability to overwatch for friendly units, deal mortal wounds in overwatch, and use flamers as pistols will really make opponents think about whether they can actually beat us in CC. Then we have the stackable + to wound benefits, damage and AP boosting strats, and Flamecraft stratagem. Once within 12” I’d say we’re going to make life miserable for the opponent (even without the false +1 to hit).

The only question that remains for me is how do we get there? We’ve got a couple of psychic powers that provide -1 to hit and +1 T, and we’ve also got Self Sacrifice. But is that enough? Do we need mechanized play to get into range? If we go for drop pods, how good does our follow up have to be? Do we need long range weapons to limit the mobility of armies like Eldar/DE?

These are the questions I have, and I’m not sure how to answer them atm.

I am currently planning on fielding a land raider redeemer for my terminators, a repulsor for aggressors, and an Impulsor for a intercessor objective grabbing squad. I am unfortunately short on boots on the ground, but my army can put pressure across the entire front at one time.