Duz's Imperial Navy

duz_

Well my stretch goal for hobby tonight was to get base layers down on tiny planes but that didn't happen

However earlier in the day I decided to finally do something with some of my based Thunderbolts.

gallery_87434_15889_91130.jpg

The one on the left is the same base colour as the shiney one. I washed it with nulin oil and then hit it with a moderate dry brush of Necron compound. Not enough the streaks are super visible but enough to lighten up the wash.

I'm not sure if I should keep going with that or just stick with a recess wash on the left one.

I used the vallejo Metallic line of Aluminium with my goal of going for something similar to this :

071024-F-1234S-008.JPG

Thoughts?

I was going for the same scheme, there’s a ton of sites out there with P51 profiles done in different decals to get some neat color variations and I saved a whole folder of pics.

Haven't had a chance to work on the thunderbolts yet wanted to today but was to hot in the house to attempt

Yesterday I did get a bit of airbrush happening though

gallery_87434_15889_56226.jpg

All the planes from the new set have at least the base colour down, the Valks are waiting their 2nd coat. Annoyingly I should have probably primed with white for the Lightening instead of great because now they're mustard instead of bright yellow... I'll see if I can do something to save them...

Annoyingly I should have probably primed with white for the Lightening instead of great because now they're mustard instead of bright yellow... I'll see if I can do something to save them...

Maybe they're more camouflaged for a tropical region?  If you're not happy with them, IPA is your friend for removing the paint (if you don't know already). :)

So I gave them a yellow wash and seems to have worked

Upside I don't have to recess wash :D

Only question now is should I dry brush or edge highlight yellow? I'm leaning towards the former?

gallery_87434_15889_76765.jpg

Before and after comparison

gallery_87434_15889_493745.jpg

Also tried a couple of different ways to get blue on my lightening didn't come out great but conceptually works. Might repaint them with some blue glaze mixed in to begin with or maybe the GW grey knight metallic

So I gave them a yellow wash and seems to have worked

That's a pretty dramatic difference! :smile.:

Only question now is should I dry brush or edge highlight yellow? I'm leaning towards the former?

I've seen people like The Painting Coach drybrush from front-to-back to pick up the leading edges and also imply some nicks caused by flying debris, etc, although I suspect the answer is a mix (purely edge highlighting it would take a while, I imagine).

Also tried a couple of different ways to get blue on my lightening didn't come out great but conceptually works. Might repaint them with some blue glaze mixed in to begin with or maybe the GW grey knight metallic

Have you tried using an airbrush to glaze it with something an acrylic ink? One of the blues from Daler Rowney FW Ink or Liquitex Ink might work? 

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

Yeh I was surprised at the difference

That tutorial might work he does a very heavy dry brush and seemingly single strokes so could work... Will try on the underside of one later

I tried using a watered down glaze on top. It just looks like I shaded it though I think to get the effect I want I have to mix it in with the paint to get best effect

I might pre shade another Thunderbolt I have based in metallic the go over with a very thinned layer of GK steel and some blue glaze with the airbrush could work

• 2 weeks later...

From memory the recipe was

Badger grey primer (for what I wanted should have done white... :facepalm: )

Vallejo model air IJA chrome yellow

Recess shaded Black

2nd layer of IJA

Casandora yellow wash

Heavy Averland Sun dry brush

Light yriel yellow dry brush

I think... :ermm: