Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Duz's Imperial Navy

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,003 posts
Hrmmm I do like the idea of trying a blue wash! Thanks both of you :D
Will try and report back

Fajita Fan

Fajita Fan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,920 posts
  • Faction: All of them?

Well my stretch goal for hobby tonight was to get base layers down on tiny planes but that didn't happen

However earlier in the day I decided to finally do something with some of my based Thunderbolts.

gallery_87434_15889_91130.jpg

The one on the left is the same base colour as the shiney one. I washed it with nulin oil and then hit it with a moderate dry brush of Necron compound. Not enough the streaks are super visible but enough to lighten up the wash.
I'm not sure if I should keep going with that or just stick with a recess wash on the left one.
I used the vallejo Metallic line of Aluminium with my goal of going for something similar to this :

071024-F-1234S-008.JPG

Thoughts?

I was going for the same scheme, there’s a ton of sites out there with P51 profiles done in different decals to get some neat color variations and I saved a whole folder of pics.
  • Firedrake Cordova, mithrilforge and duz_ like this

Blame my iPhone for typos because I'm 95% on mobile.

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,003 posts
Haven't had a chance to work on the thunderbolts yet wanted to today but was to hot in the house to attempt

Yesterday I did get a bit of airbrush happening though
gallery_87434_15889_56226.jpg

All the planes from the new set have at least the base colour down, the Valks are waiting their 2nd coat. Annoyingly I should have probably primed with white for the Lightening instead of great because now they're mustard instead of bright yellow... I'll see if I can do something to save them...
  • Firedrake Cordova and Beaky Brigade like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,045 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
The camouflage on the Lightning and Valkyrie flyers are well-applied.
  • Firedrake Cordova, duz_ and Beaky Brigade like this
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Firedrake Cordova

Firedrake Cordova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,178 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders

Annoyingly I should have probably primed with white for the Lightening instead of great because now they're mustard instead of bright yellow... I'll see if I can do something to save them...

Maybe they're more camouflaged for a tropical region?  If you're not happy with them, IPA is your friend for removing the paint (if you don't know already). :)

• duz_ likes this

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,003 posts
So I gave them a yellow wash and seems to have worked
Upside I don't have to recess wash :D

Only question now is should I dry brush or edge highlight yellow? I'm leaning towards the former?

gallery_87434_15889_76765.jpg

Before and after comparison
Spoiler

Also tried a couple of different ways to get blue on my lightening didn't come out great but conceptually works. Might repaint them with some blue glaze mixed in to begin with or maybe the GW grey knight metallic

Firedrake Cordova

Firedrake Cordova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,178 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders

So I gave them a yellow wash and seems to have worked

That's a pretty dramatic difference! smile.png

Only question now is should I dry brush or edge highlight yellow? I'm leaning towards the former?

I've seen people like The Painting Coach drybrush from front-to-back to pick up the leading edges and also imply some nicks caused by flying debris, etc, although I suspect the answer is a mix (purely edge highlighting it would take a while, I imagine).

Also tried a couple of different ways to get blue on my lightening didn't come out great but conceptually works. Might repaint them with some blue glaze mixed in to begin with or maybe the GW grey knight metallic

Have you tried using an airbrush to glaze it with something an acrylic ink? One of the blues from Daler Rowney FW Ink or Liquitex Ink might work? 

Edited by Firedrake Cordova, 16 July 2020 - 06:27 AM.

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,003 posts
Yeh I was surprised at the difference
That tutorial might work he does a very heavy dry brush and seemingly single strokes so could work... Will try on the underside of one later

I tried using a watered down glaze on top. It just looks like I shaded it though I think to get the effect I want I have to mix it in with the paint to get best effect
I might pre shade another Thunderbolt I have based in metallic the go over with a very thinned layer of GK steel and some blue glaze with the airbrush could work

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,003 posts
Built a slightly different Thunderbolt this evening :lol:

Spoiler

• Firedrake Cordova, mithrilforge, Beaky Brigade and 1 other like this

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,931 posts
  • Faction: 40k - xenos & ad-mech

wow, very nice...i'd love one in Plastic though wub.gif

Mithril

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,003 posts
After the Liberal amount of heat gun application I'd be stoked for a plastic one too!
Especially one that has a flying stand and wasn't designed in 2003 :lol:
  • Firedrake Cordova and mithrilforge like this

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,003 posts
Managed to get a double dry brush on the Lightenings
Definitely closer to the colour I want, messy but good enough for rolling some dice

gallery_87434_15889_539794.jpg
  • Firedrake Cordova, mithrilforge, Beaky Brigade and 1 other like this

Fajita Fan

Fajita Fan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,920 posts
  • Faction: All of them?

That's over the yellow?  Good desert look to them.

• duz_ likes this

Blame my iPhone for typos because I'm 95% on mobile.

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,003 posts
From memory the recipe was
Badger grey primer (for what I wanted should have done white... :facepalm: )
Vallejo model air IJA chrome yellow
Recess shaded Black
2nd layer of IJA
Casandora yellow wash
Heavy Averland Sun dry brush
Light yriel yellow dry brush

I think... :ermm:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users