Codex Confusion, please help

MickeysGrenade

Hey guys, still pretty new to 40k, been collecting and painting Space Wolves for about a year. I have played some of the First Strike and Know No Fear Scenarios and exactly 1 real game. I am currently holding off on building any new models because of all the new Codexes coming out. Now it looks like only Codex compliant chapters will receive a new book. I read the August Errata that changes some of the weapon and wound values, but it is pretty light on info for SW. So I guess this was a really drawn out way of asking, but what do I use to build my lists? My 8th edition Codex? The New Space Marines Codex? Both? Should I wait and see if something big is just around the corner, or start building off of 1 or both of these books? Are we in limbo waiting on a Codex, or is it safe to keep gluing and painting? I just don't want to get all my stuff built and find out it is essentially unplayable. Thanks for any help.

If you are building a SW list, you use the SW codex and any errata GW publishes on their site, which should say who it's for.

So we don't get the benefits of some of the codex stuff, and have to wait until our codex is published. Like the chaplain orders ( or what ever it's called) we do not get, but bolter discipline we do.

In short use the following:

Space wolves codex

Space wolves FAQ

Space Marines summer update pdf (this covers new units not in the codex like invictors and phobos guys)

And lastly chapter approved 2018 (note that 2019 should be arriving soon like within the month in that case 2019 will be the one)

Yes IRS alot of books and pdf's, hopefully we will get a codex sooner than later. The army itself is very playable but not highly competitive at the moment.