Raven Guard Heraldry and Units

Brother Lias

Hello,

At long last we can play the Raven Guard as the background presents them. I am overjoyed that we have received a new supplement and it was about time to step out of the shadows and strike. 

I have joined a painting/gaming challenge which will see me paint around 2000 points of Raven Guard in the following months and I came seeking your wisdom when comes to the heraldry and units of our chapter. 

- The white shoulder pads and arms are reserved solely for the Captains or also for the Lieutenants?

- The Librarians wear dark blue or just some elements of the armour painted blue?

- How would you paint a Raven Guard Apothecary?

- We have the option to upgrade an Intercessor Unit into Veterans. How should I paint a veteran unit?

- The models which were painted by GW have three different styles of weapon casings. The old style is the classic black casing, the 2012 style was plain boltgun metal with a blue glaze on the casing, whilst the recent models were painted in a striking and showy blue steel style? Which is the most appropriate and/or easiest to paint?

- I plan to paint the 2nd Company which has the yellow shoulder trim. Any idea how it was painted? Does the upgrade kit allow to identify the 2nd company units?

Now onto the units part. I currently have the Dark Imperium and Shadowspear Primaris halves. I plan to have a Primaris only force. What would you consider as the best units to purchase next?

In the background the Raven Guard usually fields more Fast Attack choices than Heavy Support ones. Inceptors seem to be a good investment, how about Reavers? 

Are Incursors a good option for the Raven Guard?

Which Primaris unit pairs well with Kayvaan Shrike?

Thanks

Edited by Brother Lias

Welcome to the B&C Ravenspire :) 

We have a HQ painting event going on for 16 more days. Come join, celebrate the new Supplement. 

Inceptors btw for a Primaris unit to travel with Shrike. Until recently I was leaning heavy into Plasma, but with the new Supplements I feel Assault Bolters are a better weapon for the cost. Also you could toss a coin for Incursors or Infiltrators so it depends on what your environment brings to the table. I prefer the Incursor rules and the Infiltrators models ... so Incursors because I like the haywire mines

Welcome the Ravenspire :happy.:

Dracos has given good advice :thumbsup:

If I may add some humble musings:

Captain and Lieutenants (LTs) - I think both should have white arms.  The Primaris primer given at their introduction showed a LT with a black helmet and this makes sense to me if the Captain has a white helmet.

Librarians are a mixed bag and up to your preference I think.  The Index Astartes article on the unit from 3rd edition shows a RG Librarian in full black armor but with a blue left shoulder.  I made mine with a blue right arm because that's where the Librarian sigil goes on the shoulder and make their position more obvious.

Same with the Apothcary: up to you.  Yet, I also made his right arm white.  And yes, my Techmarines have a red right arm :laugh.:  I also made their backpacks similar to the arms to further make them stand out.  This is not canonical, per se, further reinforcing the idea that you can do whatever you want :yes:

Veterans have certainly had their changes over the years.  In the current iteration it makes sense that Veterans would have a white trim on their shoulder pad.  Yet, this strongly suggests they are a part of the 1st Company.  If you prefer the squad to simply be "veterans of the 2nd company", then I would recommend using the yellow trim and the crux terminatus sigil on the right pad.

Weapon casings have also been varied and "easy" is objectively subjectively relative to you :laugh.:  For my part, I use two grey and wash with Nuln Oil.  In hindsight I should have used only one grey :tongue.:

SOOOOO, the 2nd Company yellow trim is that "easy".  Blissfully the Raven Guard only use one shoulder pad for the Company colors and I think that's elegant in relation to every other Chapter.

As for units, there are more experienced Ravens and Raptors here to provide better counsel/  There are also A LOT of threads dedicated to list-making and/or specific unit tactical discussions.  It's homework to find them, yet the pay off is worth the effort. 

If I have any advice it would be to play game with proxy models (assuming your group is cool with that).  40K is almost on the extreme side of a spectrum when it comes to cost for a hobby.  There is nothing like spending money for something you later learn you will not use (and I'm not talking about that fancy Masters degree I got ... but I digress).  So, after reading up on some units, spend the time to play games with proxy models to make sure you really want them, then go for it.

OR, be a collector and get what you want because ... collection :sweat:

In the end, keep asking questions so we can help you show others how awesome the Raven Guard are!

Hello,

At long last we can play the Raven Guard as the background presents them. I am overjoyed that we have received a new supplement and it was about time to step out of the shadows and strike. 

I have joined a painting/gaming challenge which will see me paint around 2000 points of Raven Guard in the following months and I came seeking your wisdom when comes to the heraldry and units of our chapter. 

- The Librarians wear dark blue or just some elements of the armour painted blue?

- How would you paint a Raven Guard Apothecary?

Welcome to the Ravenspire, Brother Lias

Looking forward to your work. 

So at the end of the day they are your models do what feels right when painting.  We are not the Ultamarines and follow the codex to a "T".

As an example Hitro and I both play Raptors Chapter. Hitro just painted up his Librarian in the codex standard Dark blue scheme for the Corax Command Challenge. I am working on my Phobos Librarian for  the same challenge and he will have the dark blue shoulder pad trim, re-breather mask, and  a knee pad. It is a mater of personal taste. 

Same goes for Apothecaries. Prefer the arms/ tools, shoulder pad and helmet to be white and the rest to match the army they are in.