Andrew Gonyo's 3rd Place Battle for Salvation GT RG List

We obviously had quite the discussion about Assault Centurions. It appears Andrew had the same thought and applied that in force:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium – Space Marines) [23PL, 347pts, 5CP] ++
Chapter Selection: Raven Guard Successor, Long-range Marksman, Stealthy

HQ: Chaplain [5PL, 90pts]: Bolt pistol, Jump Pack [1PL, 18pts], Litany of Hate, Warlord

HQ: Captain on Bike [6PL, 92pts]: Chainsword, Storm bolter (2), Twin Boltgun (2), Free relic: Teeth of Terra

Troops: Scout Squad [4PL, 55pts]: Scout Sergeant (11): Boltgun, Chainsword, 4x Scout w/ Boltgun (44)

Troops: Scout Squad [4PL, 55pts]: Scout Sergeant (11): Boltgun, Chainsword, 4x Scout w/ Boltgun (44)

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium – Space Marines) [71PL, 1300pts, 5CP] ++
HQ: Techmarine on Bike [6PL, 79pts]: Power Axe (5), Servo-arm, Storm bolter (2), Twin boltgun (2)

HQ: Chaplain [5PL, 90pts]: Bolt pistol, Jump Pack [1PL, 18pts]. Litany of Hate

Troops: Scout Squad [4PL, 65pts]: Scout Sergeant (13): Chainsword, Sniper Rifle (2), 4x Scout w/ Sniper Rifle (52)

Troops: Scout Squad [4PL, 65pts]: Scout Sergeant (13): Chainsword, Sniper Rifle (2), 4x Scout w/ Sniper Rifle (52)

Elites: Centurion Assault Squad [16PL, 312pts]: 5x Centurion (52): Hurricane Bolter (10), 2x Flamer (12), Centurion Sergeant (52): Hurricane Bolter (10), 2x Flamer (12)

Elites: Centurion Assault Squad [16PL, 312pts]: 5x Centurion (52): Hurricane Bolter (10), 2x Flamer (12), Centurion Sergeant (52): Hurricane Bolter (10), 2x Flamer (12)

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium – Space Marines) [18PL, 353pts, 1CP] ++
Chapter Selection: Raven Guard Successor, Long-range Marksmen, Stealthy

HQ: Techmarine on Bike [6PL, 77pts]: Power Axe (5), Servo-arm, Boltgun, Twin Boltgun (2)

Heavy Support: Thunderfire Cannon [4PL, 92pts]: Techmarine Gunner (37), Servo-harness (11): Flamer (6), Plasma Cutter (5)

Heavy Support: Thunderfire Cannon [4PL, 92pts]: Techmarine Gunner (37), Servo-harness (11): Flamer (6), Plasma Cutter (5)

++ Total: 112PL, 14CP, 2000pts ++

Interesting thoughts:

1. He goes for maximum thrift on his HQ slots, which kind of shocks me a bit to be honest. 
  2. All-in on Centurions leaves room for little else: No Eliminators, no Primaris Troop Choices, etc.
  3. Triple Thunderfire Cannon: Taking one is an obvious choice, two even makes sense. Three seems a bit...excessive?

If I could ask Andrew questions about his games, I would ask:

1. Did you play Transhuman Physiology every round? A lot? Rarely?
  2. Typically did you SFTS the 3 Assault Cent squads every turn?
  3. With this many Cents it looks like the objective is to pin them in their DZ and just crush them under weight of fire. What percentage of the field was this the strategy? How many opponents do you spread out and manipulate the map?
  4. This list appears to be almost an anti-castle list. It feels like you built it with the intent of punishing Iron Hands lists that wanted to castle up (and any other castle-like lists). Was this the intent or a happy accident?
  5. Your only loss of the tournament appears to be Trevor Harris' Freebooterz ork list. Is 120 grots more than this list can handle, or does he just have a better way to control the board against your build?

Well at least now I know why I cant find any Assault Centurions for sale on the whole internet lol.

Looks like a great list of Firstborn.

You can bet your lightning claws he used SftS on the Cents. Deep Striked the Chappies and used the Captains as a beat stick. Only thing I don't like are the Teckies. Points I imagine

He must of had the chaplain walk across the board, both for litanies and because he can't DS all 3 cents plus chaplain, that would be more than half his army off board.

He could however DS 2 units and then Hero Strat the Chaplain to give him Master of Ambush and bum-rush one unit of Cents if he wanted. This is of course all after he sees his opponents list.

The thing that stands out to me is that it's not a Raven Guard list. It's a Successor list. Long Range Marksmen changes how this list works completely from a true RG list.

The Centurions can drop in from the Shadows and actually use their flamers on arrival. It's three "take that unit off the board, chump" squads and some anti Eliminators firepower.

The thing that stands out to me is that it's not a Raven Guard list. It's a Successor list. Long Range Marksmen changes how this list works completely from a true RG list.

The Centurions can drop in from the Shadows and actually use their flamers on arrival. It's three "take that unit off the board, chump" squads and some anti Eliminators firepower.

Absolutely.

I think between ITC terrain and the ability to remain effective, I think in most cases running as Successor (in a tournament format) is going to be superior. As the format changes and there are more terrain features to abuse, in so much that you can be ON them, I expect more Pure RG and not the successor route.

Lets be real though, Successor or not, the "real" Raven Guard is in the Stratagems and Warlord Traits.