Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Unforgiven too

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

The Gentle Axeman

The Gentle Axeman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 39 posts
Been itching to start back into 40k and take advantage of a fairly active scene in my area. Took a long time thinking about what I wanted to play.

My first army way back was blood Angel's, when they were in the angels of death codex. So dark angels had a lot of appeal. I also always loved the more knightly imagery of the dark Angel's.

After alot of searching and some good swaps I cobbled together enough bits to make a start.

I'll mostly be sticking to newer models, with some upcycled old bits to fill in RW and DW for now.

Keen to get a feel for the game I built 300pts and had a quick intro battle at GW. I'll paint up that list before building the rest of what I have.

That 300 is
Primaris lieutenant
5 intercessors
3 inceptors

I have bits for
5 hellblsters
5 intercessors
5 bikes and attack bike
5 terminators
10 tactical marines
Librarian
Master
Chaplain
Ancient

Later I'll be after some tips on list building.

For now I'd be keen on some tips regarding my green color, I'm trying to get a dark looking but classic look. My basing will be burnt forest with some spots of regrowth (mostly black and little pink and green spots).

It's hard to see but I'm experimenting with purple as the shade for green, its feeling a little salamanders though. Any advice is welcome.

hWEP6lP.jpg
5S7OfZ4.jpg
FPEZySW.jpg
  • SufficientAnonymity likes this

The Gentle Axeman

The Gentle Axeman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 39 posts
A test on an intercessor too...

vykc4v4.jpg
  • Grotsmasha likes this

Fierce Bear

Fierce Bear

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 80 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
Airbrushing Axeman?

Looks like a zenithal approach, as for the green brightness or shade, it is really up to your taste!

Whilst I prefer a really dark look that's just me, I think your minis look great!

If you do feel it's a little too bright or 'salamander' Nuln oil is your friend!

FB

The Gentle Axeman

The Gentle Axeman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 39 posts
I wish I was airbrushing, I almost waited until I could afford an airbrush setup to start painting but I'm 6 months away from that at least.

I'm trying to avoid blocky edge highlights but by spreading out the highlights I think it takes the contrast out. Power armour is really intimidating for me for some reason.

I'll finish a test model and see how its feeling as a whole. Before I make any big changes.

The Gentle Axeman

The Gentle Axeman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 39 posts
After much scrolling I found few threads on here that really inspired the look I'd like for my army. I darkened up the green and blocked in some blacks and whites. I'm happy with the green now and trying to decide on the level of weathering.

I had a quick try with bevulf's scratching technique and quickly realised I needed lot more practice. I'll likely go with fairly heavy soot weathering on boots nd backpacks.

Still trying to decide on if I, going to do red bolters or not.

C and c welcome

XCTbjYc.jpg
kee27T1.jpg
  • G8Keeper, stuka06 and zacret like this

The Gentle Axeman

The Gentle Axeman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 39 posts
I had a play with some old biker bits trying to kitbash some knights. The corvus hammers were a pain but I settled on a design in the end. Pics of them later.

For now here is my only built HQ. I'm yet to name him.
4pZBJJz.jpg

Edited by The Gentle Axeman, 23 October 2019 - 08:10 AM.

• Deadman Wade likes this

bevulf

bevulf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 702 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
They look really great! As for scratches maybe try painting some small black dots and underline them with your highlight paint. I did that on my latest miniatures and i think they look better that way

The Gentle Axeman

The Gentle Axeman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 39 posts

They look really great! As for scratches maybe try painting some small black dots and underline them with your highlight paint. I did that on my latest miniatures and i think they look better that way

Thanks bevulf, your style really impressed me, the thing I need practice with is placement of the weathering, it'll come as I crack on.

Here are my cobbled together knights nearly ready for the undercoat to hide all my sins.

bUbdS9F.jpg
w0UAt7v.jpg
H9iMMdI.jpg
L6qDlT4.jpg
  • Deadman Wade likes this

G8Keeper

G8Keeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 674 posts
  • Faction: Angels Repentant

Looking good. Nice idea with the wings on the one.  Basecoats hide lots, a saviour for me.

gallery_3547_15792_6078.pnggallery_3547_15435_7258.pnggallery_3547_15792_4794.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users