Discussion on the Impulsor

Guest MistaGav

Kill Team is increasingly looking like the only sensible option. Unfortunately its unit/equipment options are frustratingly limited.

Impulsors are definitely priced out for me but I don't understand this sentiment. I could never buy another 40k model again in my life and it would still be cheaper to keep playing 40k then starting a different game system.

The rubble of tread, I like my battlefield well churned with the remains of my enemies. Not some freshly pressed clothes!

To me, the whole "anti-grav" regardless of lore creates the illusion of a lighter tank, after all it can't hover unless its light in some form (no matter the lore) and to pair that off, what vehicles have we seen in the past be anti-grav: Light, fast recon vehicles or the like of the eldar sleek and light vessels.

To me, if the repulsor was treaded, it would of had a big yes from me.

However now, GW are just laying it on. "Replace drop pods"...um...ok so yes, a big brick of metal coming down is kinda cool but I mean...personally I find the image of orbiting ships FIRING large bullet like projectiles at the planet surface that slam with force enough to crush tanks, then fire open and before the smoke clears there bolt fire, melta fire, plasma fire too, swords and bayonets thrusting through!

Again, just some overglorifying of the primaris stuff by GW and its fairly transparent. It feels bad too.

Primaris are cool, the models do look good imo (I know, not everyone likes them but then again I was a weird one, I liked centurions the first time I saw them) however the lore sucks. Sorry, but to me the Land Raider will forever be a superior showing of marine armoured might and the drop pod the superior icon of what we do: we are the emperor's angels of death bore to battle on wings of fire!

(Not wishy washy anti-grav pointy earred nonsense!)

My kinda guy...or gal. :D

Semi-seriously: The description in what a Repulsor and a drop pod does in your example is pretty similar. Actually the drop pod is more impractical, as it's stationary after the drop. But that's what it's about. The Imperium has insane amounts of impracticality vs blunt/brute imagery. That's why tanks work kinda better for me. And because I was a tank driver when I was in the army. :)

I'd hate to see Land Raiders and Drop Pods go. They are as iconic to how I (and maybe just me) view marines as the marine shilouette is. Sure, a change in general is somewhat tricky to overcome for most people, certainly me too. But currently this is where I draw the line and might retreat into other armies and/or the Horus Heresy. ...Where Astartes not only used tanks with treads, but insanely huge tanks with giant treads and one gigantic cannon instead of 15 small ones clustered on the vehicle. ;)

The only imperial grav that is blunt and unsubtle is the repulsor with its ground punching method of floating (and possible the impulsor and astraeus as well as they have similar plates?).

Stuff like the Land Speeder and the Custodes Grav vehicles aren't said to and aren't shown doing that.

Except there have been things regarding the Land speeder being able to use a "grav wash" in the past meaning that even the Land Speeder had some oomph to it's grav.

Basically all the anti-grav technology that comes from Cawl because even he wasn't able to figure out how that stuff works properly.

Please go read the codex again. It specifically states that the grav tech used in the grav tanks is Land's old STC which has finally been rediscovered.

The rubble of tread, I like my battlefield well churned with the remains of my enemies. Not some freshly pressed clothes!

To me, the whole "anti-grav" regardless of lore creates the illusion of a lighter tank, after all it can't hover unless its light in some form (no matter the lore) and to pair that off, what vehicles have we seen in the past be anti-grav: Light, fast recon vehicles or the like of the eldar sleek and light vessels.

To me, if the repulsor was treaded, it would of had a big yes from me.

However now, GW are just laying it on. "Replace drop pods"...um...ok so yes, a big brick of metal coming down is kinda cool but I mean...personally I find the image of orbiting ships FIRING large bullet like projectiles at the planet surface that slam with force enough to crush tanks, then fire open and before the smoke clears there bolt fire, melta fire, plasma fire too, swords and bayonets thrusting through!

Again, just some overglorifying of the primaris stuff by GW and its fairly transparent. It feels bad too.

Primaris are cool, the models do look good imo (I know, not everyone likes them but then again I was a weird one, I liked centurions the first time I saw them) however the lore sucks. Sorry, but to me the Land Raider will forever be a superior showing of marine armoured might and the drop pod the superior icon of what we do: we are the emperor's angels of death bore to battle on wings of fire!

(Not wishy washy anti-grav pointy earred nonsense!)

My kinda guy...or gal. :D

Semi-seriously: The description in what a Repulsor and a drop pod does in your example is pretty similar. Actually the drop pod is more impractical, as it's stationary after the drop. But that's what it's about. The Imperium has insane amounts of impracticality vs blunt/brute imagery. That's why tanks work kinda better for me. And because I was a tank driver when I was in the army. :)

I'd hate to see Land Raiders and Drop Pods go. They are as iconic to how I (and maybe just me) view marines as the marine shilouette is. Sure, a change in general is somewhat tricky to overcome for most people, certainly me too. But currently this is where I draw the line and might retreat into other armies and/or the Horus Heresy. ...Where Astartes not only used tanks with treads, but insanely huge tanks with giant treads and one gigantic cannon instead of 15 small ones clustered on the vehicle. ;)

Land Raiders aren't going, though they may be more golden in the future.

Basically all the anti-grav technology that comes from Cawl because even he wasn't able to figure out how that stuff works properly.

Please go read the codex again. It specifically states that the grav tech used in the grav tanks is Land's old STC which has finally been rediscovered.

Either they retconned it then or STC only means it's based on the same template but not using the exact same tech.

Either they retconned it then or STC only means it's based on the same template but not using the exact same tech.

They retconned it, I compared C:SM v1 with C:SM v2 and they changed it so that Cawl used Land's blueprints for it basicallu.

You do know how STCs work right? Standard Template Construct? Means that it builds the same way every time?

The only difference is the amount of grav used to keep the tanks afloat as their mass needs more to stay aloft than the lighter weight land speeder. It's still the same tech though.

They retconned it, I compared C:SM v1 with C:SM v2 and they changed it so that Cawl used Land's blueprints for it basicallu.

I don't see it as a reason but more of an explination of where Cawl got the tech.

You do know how STCs work right? Standard Template Construct? Means that it builds the same way every time?

The only difference is the amount of grav used to keep the tanks afloat as their mass needs more to stay aloft than the lighter weight land speeder. It's still the same tech though.

I don't see it as a reason but more of an explination of where Cawl got the tech.

I know that, however otherwise it would make no sense without a retcon and we know that Cawl likes to fiddle with tech that others wouldn't dare to touch.

I know that, however otherwise it would make no sense without a retcon and we know that Cawl likes to fiddle with tech that others wouldn't dare to touch.
Land made the STC by dissassembling Dark Age tech and making a template out of it.

The most Cawl did here was figure out that you can use more of it to make tanks float.

At least that's what you assume is all he did. Again the only alternative explanation is a retcon.

Claiming the only assumption that it's a retcon and not an expansion of the lore is in itself an assumption.

Namelt one I find taken with bad faith and a lot of excuse making to keep justifying a lot of knee jerk reactions well after the fact.

So it costs a bit more than a Razorback. Is that really a deal breaker? I guess if people were planning on buying 6 or something...

A razorback costs 55cad, an impulsor costs 90cad. It's a 64% increase of the razorbacks price.

If it was say 60cad, I'd have picked up a few to experiment with; I don't have hellblasters but maybe theres something cool to be used with intercessors or reivers for my blood ravens. But its a hundred after tax (remind me again why we get to pay twice the price as the pound and pay their incorporated tax as well?), so I won't buy any unless there's a proven combo from IF or sales.

It's a primaris-only transport, that can't carry gravis, can't take large squads and is meant for close range shooting. The very definition of niche.

So it costs a bit more than a Razorback. Is that really a deal breaker? I guess if people were planning on buying 6 or something...

A razorback costs 55cad, an impulsor costs 90cad. It's a 64% increase of the razorbacks price.

If it was say 60cad, I'd have picked up a few to experiment with; I don't have hellblasters but maybe theres something cool to be used with intercessors or reivers for my blood ravens. But its a hundred after tax (remind me again why we get to pay twice the price as the pound and pay their incorporated tax as well?), so I won't buy any unless there's a proven combo from IF or sales.

It's a primaris-only transport, that can't carry gravis, can't take large squads and is meant for close range shooting. The very definition of niche.

It think that niche rold is why it's so expensive. Most players don't need it and it doesn't really add much to most armies.

White Scars could see some use put of it with their run and assault rule since that gives it a 32" threat range and it'd support IH stalker bolt rifle squads well enough.

The missle launcher seems the most useful for the IF since it can be buffed to shoot tanks in the devastator doctrine and then switch to smaller units, but I'm having trouble seeing a solid use of things to put into one of these. I just haven't seen a solid use for them yet.

The only imperial grav that is blunt and unsubtle is the repulsor with its ground punching method of floating (and possible the impulsor and astraeus as well as they have similar plates?).

Stuff like the Land Speeder and the Custodes Grav vehicles aren't said to and aren't shown doing that.

Except there have been things regarding the Land speeder being able to use a "grav wash" in the past meaning that even the Land Speeder had some oomph to it's grav. 

Perhaps, but it still has never been described as operating the way the repulsor grav plates do, as in crushing the ground and people beneath it.  

The Repulsor is the only one out of several imperial grav vehicles described as operating by displacing its weight to the ground in a dramatic fashion, and has been specifically called out as doing this. 

Just because it is said to use stc derived technology like other imperial grav vehicles, doesnt mean said other imperial vehicles can't employ the technology in a different way/without this effect taking place and/or the Repulsor grav plates being specifically tuned to operate this way for offensive purposes. 

Perhaps, but it still has never been described as operating the way the repulsor grav plates do, as in crushing the ground and people beneath it.

The Repulsor is the only one out of several imperial grav vehicles described as operating by displacing its weight to the ground in a dramatic fashion, and has been specifically called out as doing this.

Just because it is said to use stc derived technology like other imperial grav vehicles, doesnt mean said other imperial vehicles can't employ the technology in a different way/without this effect taking place and/or the Repulsor grav plates being specifically tuned to operate this way for offensive purposes.

Your complaint is the vehicle that weighs maybe six tons with passengers doesn't crush the ground like the hundred plus ton tank? I mean there is a serious difference in the amount of downward force being applied over a larger footprint involved here.

At least that's what you assume is all he did. Again the only alternative explanation is a retcon.

Claiming the only assumption that it's a retcon and not an expansion of the lore is in itself an assumption.

Namelt one I find taken with bad faith and a lot of excuse making to keep justifying a lot of knee jerk reactions well after the fact.

But it's not just an expansion if it contradicts what was said before. Before it got said that it's NOT proper anti-grav tech and just an attempt of Cawl to copy it. That it pound the ground instead of properly negating gravity. If it now says that Cawl just uses a template with proper anti-grav tech it is indeed either a retcon or not as clear as you think it is.

Just because you can't understand that doesn't make me the one with bad faith and lots of excuses.

Your complaint is the vehicle that weighs maybe six tons with passengers doesn't crush the ground like the hundred plus ton tank? I mean there is a serious difference in the amount of downward force being applied over a larger footprint involved here.

The Stormraven has to be about as heavy as the Repulsor and when using hover mode it only uses it's anti-grav tech to stay in the air and it was never described to have such an effect, so he's clearly not just complaining about a maybe six tons with passenger vehicle having the same effect as a hundred plus ton tank.

It’s not a complaint. And 6 tons is being displaced on top of you is still going to crush you, maybe not into as much of a paste as the repulsor or a titan foot, but still.

The effect is obviously different as the Land Speeder and other imperial grav stuff doesn’t displace the weight to the ground in the same manner. Regardless of wether it based on the same originating technology.

It’s probably along the lines of the downwash from the Land Speeder is like the downwash from a helicopters rotor blades, whereas the displacement from the Repulsor is like the helicopter falling on top of you.

Edited by Robbienw

impulsor

Some random thing i noted, part of the roof its detachable. I can imagine if you dont want to put any of the upgrades and the single machinegun, you dont have the need of that bit on the Impulsor.

Clic on pic to enlarge.

Edited by Sargeant Centurion