Discussion on the Impulsor

Guest MistaGav

Some random thing i noted, part of the roof its detachable. I can imagine if you dont want to put any of the upgrades and the single machinegun, you dont have the need of that bit on the Impulsor.

I'm still leaning towards just picking up another Repulsor rather than two of these, given the pricing, but if I were to pick up Impulsors, I'd extend that part of the roof over the whole thing with plasticard, and fit a rear door (I've got some spare Templar upgrade sprue Rhino doors). I'd leave the whole thing removable so could still see the interior detailing if you wanted to.

It’s probably along the lines of the downwash from the Land Speeder is like the downwash from a helicopters rotor blades, whereas the displacement from the Repulsor is like the helicopter falling on top of you.

I love this image of the effects of grav plates.

So if it's an open topped transport area, can you just shoot the Primarus it's transporting anyway?

No. You can't even do that with vehicles that actually have the open topped rule (which this one doesn't have).

Shame really as that was what made transports and fire points special.

I guess the idea is to eliminate board interactions with any model physically on the board itself, but it does negate some of the things we liked about the transports in the past.

Veteran Intercessors with a Chaplain and auto bolt rifles is the most aggressive use of it I can think of.

Bonus points if you can talk your opponent into letting you run bolt pistol and chainswords with this combo.

182 points gets five Intercessors and an Impulsor with Orbital Comms Array (most expensive option, change to taste). I could see using it to deliver a squad to grab an objective and then bring the Impulsor back to taxi forward the counter-attack squad of 5 Reivers or Veteran Intercessors and a Chaplain.

I think we'll end up seeing Impulsors used as straightforward fighty transports, replacing the razorback. 90 points buys you a flying tank with an AA stubber, normal stubber and 2 storm bolters. That's 17 shots up close, though not especially accurate ones.

There just seem to be a ton of ways you can use these things. Transports are generally useful. Fast ones, with fly and the option to chuck troops out after a move, could be spectacular for board control. They can charge stuff, including flyers, to soak overwatch. They can tie up broadsides and centurions. They're a fantastic screening unit. You can send 15 hellblasters where they're needed, along with a Captain, Lieutenant and Ancient. It's a lot.

I'm actually a little nervous they could see their points go up in CA. That would be a shame.