Sons of Luna - a DIY Primaris Chapter

Ketzer

Cheers.

I got my hands on the new GW Paints "Lupercal Green" and "Sons of Horus Green" and wanted to give it a try.

So I chose a Primaris and started working.

What startet as a distraction soon became a serious project in my head.

Would Cawl listen to Papa Smurf and not use the gene seed of the traitor legions?

In my eyes he is too much of a logical device as to ignore the success that the Luna Wolves / Sons of Horus had.

What would happen if he used the genseed?

Enter the Sons of Lunar.

Here is the testmodel:

I know I still have to paint the rim of the Base.

Also I will add some scribbeling on the purity seal, the company and squad markings and some kind of chapter marking (as soon as I have an idea for them.)

I am not sure about the edge highlights on the Green Armour. I like the desaturated tone it adds to the green, but I wonder if i should take a brighter grey.

Also thinking about doing some battle damage.

SoL01

SoL02

SoL03

I would appreciate some feedback on this guy. Either here or drop me a PM.

Edited by Ketzer

Of course Cawl wouldn't use traitor geneseed. The Sons of the Phoenix totally are an Imperial Fists successor ;)

Go ahead using XVI Legion geneseed.

The test model looks great. I would darken the green a bit though.

So I went the extra mile with this model.

Added some battle damage, went a bit lighter on the highlight on the helmet, added the writing on the purity seal, freehanded a chapter symbol on the left shoulder, a company marking on the right shoulderpad and on the left knee (showing that he is part of the 3 company) and finally a squad marking on the backpack (which shows him being a member of the 2. Squad)

So here is once more the - still nameless - battlebrother of the Sons of Lunar.

IMG 20191021 181551 828

IMG 20191021 180922 437

Right shoulder pad with battlefield role and company marking

Hidden Content

IMG 20191021 180858 037

Back view with squad marking

Hidden Content

IMG 20191021 180828 025

Left shoulder pad with chapter marking

Hidden Content

IMG 20191021 180812 421

The test model looks great. I would darken the green a bit though.

Thanks man! I experimented a bit with glazing the green a bit darker, but i didn't like the results. maybe I'll look into it again, when doing a character. But for a line trooper? nah. I am slow enough i guess. But thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Really, really nice scheme there! Personally I probably would have kept the bolt-rifle cowling darker black, but that might be flash-glare making it appear more teal. 

The other potential point is doing something with the circles - lights or whatever they are - in both the vambraces and the backs of the legs; although it's also viable to leave them as-is. 

But once again, really, really good scheme - this is up there with the alpha legion blue-and-bronze/brass for heresy-schemes-on-primaris ; 

Quality markings as well. 

In terms of expansion .. because now you *need* to do a few more ... it'd be interesting to see various HH-era upgrade bitz , or at least various further emulations of the XIVth aesthetic (plumes - not too sure if spikes go with the Mk.X vibe so well, but one way to find out!] ....and maybe go completely overboard and justaerin scheme gravis armour aggressors etc. 

You should be proud of the model.  If I was offering constructive feedback it would be that due to the colors you are using, the edge highlights on the bolter stand out more than the edges on the green.  Maybe don’t edge the entire bolter and just hit the corners that hard.   Looks good either way.

The Son of Lunar is well done.

Nitpick:

Shouldn't the Chapter name be "Sons of Luna," omitting the "r" at the end?

Yeah, "Sons of Lunar" doesn't quite read right;

@OP, Lunar means "of, or relating to the moon", the name of which is Luna. The chapter name would make better sense as "Sons of Luna", or even "Lunar Sons".

As it is it's similar to saying "Queen of English" or "United States of American"

Edited by Halandaar

Really, really nice scheme there! Personally I probably would have kept the bolt-rifle cowling darker black, but that might be flash-glare making it appear more teal.

The other potential point is doing something with the circles - lights or whatever they are - in both the vambraces and the backs of the legs; although it's also viable to leave them as-is.

You should be proud of the model. If I was offering constructive feedback it would be that due to the colors you are using, the edge highlights on the bolter stand out more than the edges on the green. Maybe don’t edge the entire bolter and just hit the corners that hard. Looks good either way.

I will try to tone down the highlight on the bolters for my next models. Same on the "circles" - "kneecap" - "joints" - whatever they are.

In terms of expansion .. because now you *need* to do a few more ... it'd be interesting to see various HH-era upgrade bitz , or at least various further emulations of the XIVth aesthetic (plumes - not too sure if spikes go with the Mk.X vibe so well, but one way to find out!] ....and maybe go completely overboard and justaerin scheme gravis armour aggressors etc.

That is... actually a brilliant idea!

I planned on using more black parts on the more veteran units anyway - but those plumes didn't come to my mind.

So... i got out a knife and some Chaos Space Marine helmets and this happened.

Still WIP - as you can guess:

Wip SoL Inc1

But i currently have no idea how to add spikes to those backpacks and make them look good...

Shouldn't the Chapter name be "Sons of Luna," omitting the "r" at the end?

Yeah, "Sons of Lunar" doesn't quite read right;

@OP, Lunar means "of, or relating to the moon", the name of which is Luna. The chapter name would make better sense as "Sons of Luna", or even "Lunar Sons".

As it is it's similar to saying "Queen of English" or "United States of American"

I think it's funny that I nearly got more comments on my crappy grammar then on my paintjob, but I appreciate it. I'll have the topic corrected. :wink:

most logical way to add spikes would probably be rather small ones over the armoured sections on the power-pack exhausts - it's not that viable to do huge massive ones, but smaller, kinda like the catulan reaver ones. There may be further scope on the shin-pads. The spikes from Flagellant maces might make for an easy way to do it.

The plumes on the phobos helms are a good look, as well - best so far is the bare head. What colour skin-tone are you thinking of using? And it might be a decent spot for an appropriately brutal SoH power-axe to show up. 

• 2 months later...

As you might have guessed I am a very slow painter - nonetheless i managed to paint 2 more Sons of Luna this year.

I reworked some detail of my paintjob.

- I used a different gold for the trim

- changed to recesscolor to a very dark red just to add some visual interest (you'll barely notice though.)

- went stronger with the edge highlight on the green armour

- went lighter with the highlight on the black parts.

Also, to answer the question:

What colour skin-tone are you thinking of using?

Uhm... this one:

SoL Inf01

and the other one is this:

SoL Inf02

The models still look a bit flat. But then again those are just line troopers.

As soon as i get to HQ guys I'll try to put some effort into the armour to add some depth.

Also I am trying to come up with Chapter rules...

Not using a Successor Chapter kinda hurts. (all those nice little artifacts and named characters i can't use.) But I am trying to pick some chapter tacticts that i think would fit to the Luna Wolves back in the days.

I went to "Bolter Fusillades" to mirror the 30k "Fury of the legion" and "Death Dealers" rules the SoH/LW have.

My second pic is "Whirlwind of rage" - i think it fit's the Merciless Fighter rule the best.

Any thoughts on this?