Road to FA Cup - Hong Kong ITC - Nov 2019

Morticon

Hey congrats on the win, I noticed most of your troops are scouts and it sounds like you deep struck the two Intercessors squads. It seems like you had an aggressive list that has a lot of forward deployment. What did you use to hold home objectives and did you notice a big difference with the auto bolt rifles over the the standard bolt rifles? Also where and what stage of the game did you end up dropping the Intercessors and we’re you attempting assaults the turn you landed or just fire support. Sorry for all the questions just have been bouncing around the idea of deep striking a large squad of Intercessors myself. Listened to the podcast sounds like you have a pretty squared away 40k game.

Thanks,

Brian

Hey congrats on the win, I noticed most of your troops are scouts and it sounds like you deep struck the two Intercessors squads. It seems like you had an aggressive list that has a lot of forward deployment. What did you use to hold home objectives and did you notice a big difference with the auto bolt rifles over the the standard bolt rifles? Also where and what stage of the game did you end up dropping the Intercessors and we’re you attempting assaults the turn you landed or just fire support. Sorry for all the questions just have been bouncing around the idea of deep striking a large squad of Intercessors myself. Listened to the podcast sounds like you have a pretty squared away 40k game.

Thanks,

Brian

Home Objectives: 

I used the Sniper scouts, or one scout squad and the T-fire, as well as the dreads.  The thing I like about the Scouts over their new Phobos-armoured brothers is that I can happily "throw away" 55 points (or even 120 points for 2 squads - sniper+scout) to babysit the back.   I never had issues with backline claiming though, because the heavies were taking so little heat, for the most part. 

Did you notice a big difference with the auto bolt rifles over the the standard bolt rifles?

I did. This came from their output at range.  Because i was always on the move, the ability to Advance and still shoot was amazing. On the move their bolt-rifle brethren only put out 10 shots at 36" - these guys were 30 shots at 30" or 30"+d6" at -1. They were great for chaff cleaning in game 1 and 3.  Stalkers still my fav, but auto's close second. 

Also where and what stage of the game did you end up dropping the Intercessors and we’re you attempting assaults the turn you landed or just fire support?

Because I was playing ITC a lot depended on the mission.  I think 2 players chose the intercessors as targets (PL7). This made is an easier choice to send them into reserve only to come down in turn 3.  I believe both came down T3 in 2 games, one came down T3 in 1 game, and maybe twice in T2.  

In trwo games I attempted assaults, but the target they shot at was almost always not the same target I charged, and the charge (because it was late game) was almost always support rather than necessity. 

Sorry for all the questions just have been bouncing around the idea of deep striking a large squad of Intercessors myself.

Dont apologize! You're more than welcome - that's what the B&C community is here for!

I think do it.  A lot depends on your missions, but the fact that these guys are hardy, and that they are Troops is a great bonus.  You may find, even, that you're getting completely wrecked by T3, and you're well on the backfoot, but dropping these guys in, NOT shooting and then popping "See, But Remain Unseen" pushes you into a position from a thrashing to a draw as you hold on to some key objective, rooted in cover with a -1 (or even -2 if you're playing pure RG).   Just make sure you have enough durable and tanky boots on the ground to take the beating.  (That's what my VV and Dreads are for). 

Feel free to ask anything else! 

Thanks your reply has been more then helpful, I appreciate you taking the time to write everything out. I really like the idea of taking a large squad and upgrading them to veteran's in certain match ups. Did you ever miss or wish you had the deployment flexibility of the incursors/infiltrators? I feel like you can get some good mileage out of the incursors with the haywire mine and "booby trap" objective stratagem. It seems as though they could really assist in securing a landing zone for master of ambush or turn two deeps strikers. Well thanks again for the thorough reply, have a good day. Edited by Entry1

its DEFINITELY something I want to do.  I thought about it loads.  The issue was more about how tight the army was for points.  The only place to drop points was from the big squads of Intercessors  - but they had specific tactical roles.  I would probably lose 5 Autobolter guys and the fist - and with the points, change the scouts into Incursors.   May make that change next tournament.