Stratagem: Flamecraft Discussion

Aothaine

SalFocus-Oct17-Flamecraft-fjk3l.jpg

So, the article says to use it on a Invictor. Yeah that is nice. I'm thinking of rocking three units of three Land Speeders with dual heavy flamers. Using this on one of the units with all three speeders is going to give you 36 auto-hit S5 -1 D1 attacks. Pretty crazy, especially if we get something that increases the dmg of our flamers as well.

Assault Centurions, if you can get them there, can pump out 72 autohits! :teehee:

Obviously hard to get them there, but would be pretty hilarious! That's an average of 39 successful wounds/19 unsaved wounds vs a Knight (assuming Tactical Doctrine and Vulkan).

SalFocus-Oct17-Flamecraft-fjk3l.jpg

So, the article says to use it on a Invictor. Yeah that is nice. I'm thinking of rocking three units of three Land Speeders with dual heavy flamers. Using this on one of the units with all three speeders is going to give you 36 auto-hit S5 -1 D1 attacks. Pretty crazy, especially if we get something that increases the dmg of our flamers as well.

...and wounding T8 on 4s with Tactical Doctrine! Did they just make flamers an Anti-tank weapon?!

I was thinking of 10 sternguard with combi flamers for 60 auto hits wounding anything other than T8+ on 4's.

There is a rumor for a strat for sally's that ignores purpose of movement for 1 unit. How about stikking 5 aggressors in a repulsor for a total of 120 auto hits..

I know, only theorycrafting but hey.. a guy can dream

Edited by faithonwings

Yep the Sternguard route was my first thought too, in a drop pod of course. The only issue is that it doesn't get going until turn 2 so your opponent can prepare for it, but It's not a huge issue. 285pts isn't bad at all. You also get to fire the bolt shots, albeit hitting on 4+.

You need to take the Long Ranged Marksmen trait to use this from a pod though.

So I may have missed something, but I am looking at the Land Speeders profile. I can see the option to put a single Heavy Flamer on the Land Speeder, but not two like I am seeing people quote?

Index options. The Marine book is based on the options included in the kit whereas the index land speeders can go dual HF.

I'd treat it as a dead option though as we don't know how it may work after the Legends Compendium is released.

I'm not sure Legends would have an impact in this case, since the model, weapon, and profile exist in a standard codex, it is just wargear options. Could be wrong.

Thanks for the information. I have never really looked at the LS before, but this may not be too bad. 73 points per Land Speeder, 35 points per Aggressor, so 2 Aggressors. 2d6 HF vs 4d6-8d6 Flamer. Same Toughness, 6w vs 6w, though you cut firepower in half from the Aggressors once reduced. Of course, 16-20'' of movement almost out and out guarantees something is in HF range turn one.

Very interesting option.

Redeemers just got even better. Yeah, its only two flamestorms but its two on a fairly strong chassis which gets a nice bonus on either devastator or tactical doctrines, then there is the 12 auto-hits using this.

Yes, a Redeemer with Flamecraft, +1 to Wound from the Tactical Doctrine being active, and another +1 to Wound from a Chaplain's Litanies can move 10" and shoot its Flamestorm Cannon another 12" (so net threat distance of 22").... against a standard Eldar Crimson Hunter or Hemlock Wraithfighter, that yields 12 auto hits, 10 wounds, 6-7 unsaved wounds, and 12-14 dmg inflicted.... so, one Eldar Flyer deleted in a single volley, even with up to -3 to hit it (you just get your LR Redeemer within 22" of the flyer, which could be challenging if your opponent knows how dangerous it can be to his aircraft).

Yes, a Redeemer with Flamecraft, +1 to Wound from the Tactical Doctrine being active, and another +1 to Wound from a Chaplain's Litanies can move 10" and shoot its Flamestorm Cannon another 12" (so net threat distance of 22").... against a standard Eldar Crimson Hunter or Hemlock Wraithfighter, that yields 12 auto hits, 10 wounds, 6-7 unsaved wounds, and 12-14 dmg inflicted.... so, one Eldar Flyer deleted in a single volley, even with up to -3 to hit it (you just get your LR Redeemer within 22" of the flyer, which could be challenging if your opponent knows how dangerous it can be to his aircraft).

Difficult or not, if you force that Flier off the table edge, or at least force your opponent to fly safe, and his flier never do any real benefit to his game, then totally worth it.