Armies on Parade 2019

I thought i would start a thread for any brothers who are entering armies on parade this year to show off their work.

My entry is quite modest this year but Captain Montoya will lead the fighting 7th out bravely regardless of the odds

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Not strictly on-topic but I took pretty much those models to a tournament last weekend - just a small local tournament so I filled in the gaps to make it up to 1500 points and decided to go with it. The marine codex is so good you can almost throw darts at it and have a decent list.

The tournament is CA19 missions and the TO has pre-drawn all the rounds because it is a small event. So we do not play the games in increasing order of difficulty, just in the order he drew at the start.

So what I ended up with was

Phobos Captain, chapter master

Phobos Librarian, Eye of Hypnoth

Biker Captain, Warlord - Refuse to Die, Fist of Vengeance, Storm Shield

Primaris Lt

2 x 5 Incursor with haywire mine

2 x 5 Intercessor with bolt rifles

2 x 5 Intercessor with stalker bolt rifles

Terminators, basic no upgrades

Bikers

2 x Suppressors

2 x Eliminators

My first game was against Adam who has just switched back to his Grey Knights after a couple of years. Adam is one of the best players here and is a regular winner in this store but he has not had any practice games with his GK since deciding to switch back mid-week. He has a Paladin Bomb with lots of buffing characters, 2 x GMNDK, Dreadnought with lascannons, 3 x Strike squad. Mission was Lockdown.

I had first turn so Adam put a lot of his best stuff in reserve to protect it from my shooting. Seeing a fairly empty table I decided to make hay while the sun shines and ran forward onto 4 of the objectives, dropping haywire mines on a couple for good measure. The suppressors used their excellent movement to get LOS on the dreadnought and chapter master rerolls to hit and remove it.

With not much on the table he could only claim one objective and whittle down my Suppressors. He tried to charge a weakened unit of Strikes into my Incursors but overwatch and the haywire mine wiped them.

Turn 2 I finished off a GMNDK which in turn finished off my suppressors by shooting when it died and I held 4 objectives again. At this point Adam knew he had misdeployed and let me gain too big a VP lead but he dropped the bomb anyway and my goodness what a bomb it was. Smites and shooting cleared out my whole right flank including my warlord - who refused to get back up even with a CP reroll. He failed to make the charge into Forest terrain so he was stuck out on the flank. I then spent the rest of the game retreating from his wall of smite to hold onto the VP lead I had built in the first 2 turns. That paladin bomb is quite something and Adam realised that failing to deploy it had cost him the game - it was not a mistake he would repeat for the rest of the day.

After game one I am in third place, my son is leading with an astonishing VP score from an almost perfect first game with his harlequins.

The second game was against Tom with Blood Angels. His list also looked a bit like he had been throwing darts at the codex. Mephiston, Librarian, Librarian Dreadnought, Hellblasters, Aggressors, Sanguinary Guard, Death Company, 2 x Intercessors and scouts.

There is not too much to say about this game. I had one of those overhead walkway terrain pieces on the edge of my deployment zone so all my suppressors, eliminators and buffing characters were up in the crows nest with a unit of stalker bolt rifles. For some reason he chose to assault my bikes and Incursors/Intercessors rather than my firebase - so my perfectly intact firebase picked him apart over 4 turns and i tabled him. 

After game two I am in second place, my son is still ahead of me after another big win with those rainbow colour dancing elves.

Game 3 I am playing Nathan with his guard army. The mission is Escalation. Nathan has a ridiculous amount of artillery, he has a whole load of mortars inside a bastion (cause of much amusement as we discuss shooting mortars through the roof) a tank commander and a few troops. Oh and a Vindicare assassin. His plan is to castle up and blow everything off the table so he can casually walk up to the empty objectives.

I seize 

So all my sniper fire goes into the Vindicare to remove that threat. I remove one of his many Basilisks and one of my incursor squads makes the charge into one of his screening infantry squads and locks them. In reply he kills a couple of Suppressors with poor rolling on his part (and all the defensive buffs a Crimson Fist can buy with CP) and wipes an Intercessor squad and my biker squad. I have all the objectives. On his turn I finish off his infantry in combat.

Turn 2 I remove another basilisk and some infantry but more importantly my Incursors charge his company commander and pile into his artillery parking lot. That is basically game over, he is so packed into the back of the table that it is hard for him to try to extracate himself and I just shut down half his shooting.

The rest of the game I tie up the last of his big guns with my other Incursor squad and I get to use the Sappers stratagem for my Terminators to punch his bastion to death. 

Once I tied up all that artillery in combat it was game over.

Meanwhile on another table Adam had firmly learned his lesson and was facing off against my son. One really bad turn of cold dice with his fusion pistols meant the harlequins got their pretty little behinds kicked in by the paladin bomb. So I finished in first and my Crimson Fists won the day.

Honestly if Adam had a couple of games before he played me he would probably beat me, it was sheer lack of practice with his GK which made him over-cautious. Although as we agreed while I gave him a lift home had he played my son first he might have lost that game for the exact same reason.

My list looks nice on the table. It is not a hugely competitive list and was not the best list there but on the day it was good enough. Yes you can throw darts at the Marine Codex and get a decent list.

MVP of the day - the Incursor squads. They just grab so many VP in so many games and the haywire mines then make that objective a deeply unwelcoming place for the opponent.