Impulsors as objective grabbers/move blockers

ChaoticEric

I’m toying with the idea of building some kind of gunline that’s still relatively mobile thanks to our ability to count as stationary even when moving. I’m thinking along the lines of two executioners and a couple of thunderfires with a unit of aggressors as close support and a couple of support characters, mot likely a captain/chapter master and a lieutenant.

When thinking of what to use for grabbing objectives my eyes fell on the impulsors. They’re relatively mobile with 14” move and fly, with the shield dome they’re actually quite tough and they’re quite big which would help when using them as more or less as mobile terrain/line of sight blocking. All of this for under 100pts. They’re also more or less unarmed which probably mean they’ll fly under the radar of many players and left alone to go about their objective-scoring business.

Loaded up with some intercessors they actually get quite a reach to grab objectives thanks to the assault vehicle-rule.

What do you guys think? Someone who has thought of something similar. I’m thinking of running three if I can stomach the cost of the actual models...

Edited by ChaoticEric

Well for me Aggressors are very important so I can't see using 3, but I have been making lists with 3.

It's for protection as much as anything. For example I think Hellblasters have fallen out of favour in the past few months, but part of it is the walk... now with the Impulsor you are getting a long movement, then a disembark which -should- be done into cover as much as possible. You now have properly positioned Hellbasters, with an Impulsor move blocking assaulters.

Rhino Wall was a big thing a few editions ago, and I am forced to use it with Chaos Space Marines. I think it's a lost art with Ultra's. (In part because there weren't many options.)

The wall isn't quite as good as Rhino's though because you can always see under the Impulsor. However I do actually want to try the options out on the Impulsors. I love the missile load out, and I want to test the 'orbital bombardment'. I think against stuff like Tau it could be big...

Also because I believe Drones cannot absorb those kind of mortal wounds on behalf of other units.

Anyway I want to maintain a large footprint. I am still finding some armies do pelt Primaris pretty good, and infantry is still UM bread and butter...at least the core of it.

Edited by Prot

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking I might get two of these for multiple uses but mainly to use for Reivers. Two squads of 5-man Reivers a P.Chaplain and a P.Apothecary running up the board to cause mayhem on an enemies flank. I don't even think the second squad is really needed though. Maybe just the one with the Chaplain and Reivers.

Edit: 

Looking into this more... Reivers might not work so well. I forgot you cannot charge when you disembark. Helblasters and Intercessors are looking like the best unit for this then it seems. You could also load up eliminators but they are already pretty safe with their 1+ save in cover.

Hmmm...

Edited by Aothaine

• 3 weeks later...

If you are running a Troop-heavy list, I can see using 2-3 to get 5 Bolt Intercessors with Fists into place early on. They are quick enough to contest RG and WS board control shenanigans, which is very important for armies that mostly have to deploy inside their deployment zone. I'd run them naked or with the TL Ironhail turret. Cheap and cheerful. They aren't enough of a threat to shoot, especially when you run other mech elements like Repulsor Executioners, but over time they, and the Intercessors, will do some good damage and hold the board quite well. I don't like transporting somethign expensive with them. The thing I really like about the Intercessor version is that it's rather low commitment, making both shooting and ignoring it rather awkward. Win-win for you and lose-lose for the opponent.