Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Facing the Unknown II – Start and Learn a new Army.

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Trokair

Trokair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 755 posts

gallery_29932_13153_53890.jpg

Last year over twenty participants accepted the challenge of starting a new army. Will you join them this year?

Facing the Unknown is returning this year for anybody who would like to join in and start a new army, or possibly restart an army that you have not played in many years.

The signup thread will go up in about a week in the Forge in Work in Progress. The event itself will run from 1st November 2019until 29th February 2020. Members can join at any time.

Last year’s event can be found here if anybody is interested. 

Edit: 1st November, the event has now started. 

Edited by Trokair, 01 November 2019 - 07:07 PM.

• mactire and Emicus like this

mactire

mactire

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,198 posts
  • Faction: vlka fenryka

Hmmmm, will have a think about this

• Trokair likes this

I recognise my failing and will be sure to correct it
gallery_24878_5332_50483.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2012C.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013A.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_03_ETL_2012A.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013B.gifgallery_29004_6198_8099.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_1994.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifETL_Medal_05.gifgallery_29004_10383_1937.pnggallery_29004_10383_927.pnggallery_29004_10383_4142.pngsml_gallery_69091_12729_9262.pnggallery_17224_3229_261.gifgallery_17224_3068_410.gifgallery_17224_3068_874.pnggallery_17224_3068_108.gifgallery_24878_5332_150.gif

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,125 posts
No. ;)
Have fun lads.

Edited by Sete, 19 October 2019 - 08:54 PM.

• Zephaniah Adriyen likes this

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,002 posts

Does it count if a Traitor Legion comes out during that time frame and I suddenly have a new army? :P

Trokair

Trokair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 755 posts

Does it count if a Traitor Legion comes out during that time frame and I suddenly have a new army? tongue.png

You can enter the event at any point once it has started, so if you get a new army for the holiday and join in the New Year that is perfectly fine. I was original going to run it for three months from November to January but I thought that quite a few people might start a new army after the holidays so extend it to the end of February to give a little extra time. 

Why, are there rumors about a Legion update coming soon?

Captain_Krash

Captain_Krash

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 995 posts
  • Faction: Lamenters

Welp here goes nothing 

Krash 

Ad Victoriam

For those we cherish, we die in glory!

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,002 posts

You can enter the event at any point once it has started, so if you get a new army for the holiday and join in the New Year that is perfectly fine. I was original going to run it for three months from November to January but I thought that quite a few people might start a new army after the holidays so extend it to the end of February to give a little extra time. 

Why, are there rumors about a Legion update coming soon?

Oh, there are always rumours,b ut nothing too trustworthy I'm afraid, at least on the "soon" department.

I was just joking about me "getting" a new army by already having the makings of it in terms of models if another Traitor Legion were to get its own Codex. teehee.gif

Edited by DeadFingers, 19 October 2019 - 09:25 PM.

Trokair

Trokair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 755 posts

Well, it would be restarting an army then, which is also fine as long as it is an army you have not played in a few years.

If anybody has questions let me know, full rules will go up next week with the signup thread.    

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 927 posts

Mm, I'm getting Shadowspear for Christmas... I might wanna run the Vanguard half as Raven Guard, pick up a Shrike to go with them and sign up.

Edit: Mhm, I've decided! If the rules are the same as the previous one, it'll be Shadowspear plus a Shrike as a Patrol and a Supreme Command.

And the more I think about it, the more a pure Primaris Vanguard army appeals to me... maybe an Invictor on top of all that? I dunno. I'll think about it.

Oh! I've also got some spare ETB Reivers lying around. I've never done a pure Vanguard army, especially sneaky bois, though I very much want to. That okay for this? I think I'm just gonna do this anyway, whether I can enter it for this at all.

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen, 19 October 2019 - 10:23 PM.

• Trokair likes this

"All power demands sacrifice and pain. The universe rewards those willing to spill their life's blood for the promise of power." - Sindri Myr

gallery_48988_15465_989.pnggallery_48988_15465_2505.pnggallery_26154_15777_6252.pnggallery_48988_15808_10055.png

"There is no meaning, no purpose. We murder, we kill. It is mindless savagery, this UNIVERSE is mindless!" - Azariah Kyras

Trokair

Trokair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 755 posts

Zephaniah Adriyen, the rules will be similar to last year, but I do hope to have them slightly more refined and streamlined based on the lessons learned.

The Vanguard stuff does look tempting; if only Deathwatch could have them, I would add them in an instant to the army I started last year. 

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,736 posts
I've just bought a load of dark Eldar I've not played for years. Sounds like I'm in then!
  • Prot and ShibeKing like this

Trokair

Trokair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 755 posts

Welcome abord. Are you going Kabal, Wych Cult, Haemonculi Coven or a mix of all three?

Edited by Trokair, 19 October 2019 - 11:19 PM.

Shinespider

Shinespider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 951 posts

I've been tossing a custom Craftworld around in my head since the book was announced. Might pull the trigger. 

• Trokair likes this

Call_of_Chaos_11_Banner_02.jpg

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,736 posts

Welcome abord. Are you going Kabal, Wych Cult, Haemonculi Coven or a mix of all three?

Thank you! :D it'll be kabal/ cult mix :)

Going for a scheme that's based on the 5th edition codex cover. Between contrast and metallics I'm hoping I can at last crack it!

Are we allowed to start building in advance or not?...

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,736 posts
(I used to play dark Eldar back in 5th but the new drazhar and plastic incubi brought me right back in!)

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,159 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos and Wolves

Hmmm funny how this happens when I'm starting a Guard army in a couple of days... 

• Trokair and Zephaniah Adriyen like this

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

''Help! Help! I'm being repressed!!!'' - Dennis the Peasant, England. 932 A.D.

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,451 posts

Ooh, lucky me. I'm starting up Black Templars soon. Might be interested in this.....

• Trokair, vossyvo and Zephaniah Adriyen like this

Trokair

Trokair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 755 posts

Are we allowed to start building in advance or not?...

You can start building if you want, but I would recommend you take a starting picture before you do so that you can put it in the vowing post once the actual thread is up next week.

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,159 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos and Wolves

Just worked out what Ill be ordering tomorrow to start my Guard, picking up some Thousand Sons stuff for the missus as well, she wants to become more active in the community here so I think this will be the perfect excuse. 

• Trokair and Vykes like this

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

''Help! Help! I'm being repressed!!!'' - Dennis the Peasant, England. 932 A.D.

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,736 posts

So… context!

Back in the days of 3rd edition as a teen, money was relatively scant and at a gaming even I managed to pick up a dark eldar army on the cheap – this followed a raffle event in Lincoln so that was the first dark eldar army… 5th edition later came along and the new dark eldar range was jaw droppingly stunning. I’d tried to paint the army primarily with washes [badab black is still well missed…] The project was later sold on to fund other projects [most likely orks!].

It’s been quite some years therefore since I dabbled with the dark eldar and certainly not in 8th, until now! I’ve never had a fully mechanised/ flying army [new], I’m also going to be painting them predominately with contrast paints [also new]. I’m in a new country so it’s a new army. The new Drazhar and Incubi are what drew me in so my starting point will be a kabalite patrol. I have ordered quite of chunk of models that’ll give me around 2000 points so variety in games of 1500. I aim to build something, paint until finished and then, move on. The Winchester approach will hopefully yield a fully painted army as opposed to started, but unfished units which plague my collection! I’m still pondering whether to go with a classic named Kabal or one using the new obsessions from Psychic awakening.

Style of force will be a mix of kabalite and wych cult. The fluff will be developed as the force grows and it builds it’s own narrative as my orks have done. Named characters and units will be the order of the day as it’s how I prefer to play. I’m not aiming for a “meta driven” force, simply something that can compete without either being turned over or annihilating the opponent rapidly. Fun for both players is what I’ve always strived for in recent years. Tournaments are tournaments but on Friday evenings I like to play friendly games as part of the wind-down for the weekend.

Vykes

Vykes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 985 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Horus 65th company

Man, already some real good momentum and ideas going here.  Very very cool.  

Hmmm, a new army, a new aaaaarmy.  I'm being pushed in a few directions so I may see if I can join the band wagon on this.  On one hand, I have 2 Ork Speed Kult boxes from a few Christmases back that I still have on sprue.  I'm getting pulled into an Istvaan III combined arms army and need some Emperor's Children and likely World Eaters, all for a complete replay of all the 30K Black Book campaigns in order.  And I'm thinking of replicating the monochrome and red Frank Miller style I have on one of my Warcry bands and carrying it over onto Daemons.  

Hmm, decisions decisions.  

• Trokair likes this

gallery_107230_14721_11872.png

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,736 posts

Man, already some real good momentum and ideas going here. Very very cool.

Hmmm, a new army, a new aaaaarmy. I'm being pushed in a few directions so I may see if I can join the band wagon on this. On one hand, I have 2 Ork Speed Kult boxes from a few Christmases back that I still have on sprue. I'm getting pulled into an Istvaan III combined arms army and need some Emperor's Children and likely World Eaters, all for a complete replay of all the 30K Black Book campaigns in order. And I'm thinking of replicating the monochrome and red Frank Miller style I have on one of my Warcry bands and carrying it over onto Daemons.

Hmm, decisions decisions.

As they're my first gaming love I'd happily chat orks with you. That said, I also used to have a 10k, 30k EC force as well :D

Happy to bounce ideas :)

Thrall_Love

Thrall_Love

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 109 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords
This maybe exactly what I need to get to work on my Night Lords.
  • Trokair likes this

Ezr91aeL

Ezr91aeL

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts
  • Faction: Custodes
Gonna do a vow when the Sistas come out.

Edited by Ezr91aeL, 21 October 2019 - 08:29 AM.

• Trokair likes this

XE7g3TN.jpg2NgmmVH.jpgYlmK7vQ.jpg

Cleon

Cleon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 355 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

From the point of view of having Started an ad mech army, but only having painted 2 squads of skitarii and played one game of kill team, would rounding that force out count?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users