Recaf and Medals: Beaky's Imperial Air Wing

I took the new toys out for a spin this evening. Bombing Mission vs Orks 150 points (I am going to find a second opponent soon now things are opening up!)

4 Thunderbolts with Skystrike missiles (2 with 2, and 2 with 1).
4 Hydra batteries
2 Manticore Batteries

Megabomma with extra bombs
Eavybomma with extra bombs
2 Dakkajet with bombs
1 Dakkajet with custom shootas

Orks Attacking my command bunker:

gallery_92870_12778_870131.jpg

Fast mover Dakka jets instantly dropped bombs on 2 of the 3 ground targets doing significant damage. I'd forgotten about bomb creep affecting the ground defences too!

gallery_92870_12778_171074.jpg

Before being obliterated by fire from call signs Blackheart 3 and 4, and hundreds of rounds of Hydra fire

gallery_92870_12778_778157.jpg

Unfortunately the rest of the pictures are too blurry to be worth sharing, but we only got to turn 4 with a turn 5 disengagement. The Megabomma and Eavy Bomma destroyed 2 of the 3 ground objectives between them and left the last ground objective on 1 structure point. One Hydra battery was lost to bomb creep and Call Sign Blackheart 3 was lost to massed fire from the Megabomma frontal turrets

On turn 4 the last Dakka jet was downed by Blackheart 4 and the Eavy Bomma lost to ground fire.

Call signs Blackheart 1 and 2 dived under the Megabomma to escape its guns and banked left to disengage.

On the disengagement turn Blackheart 1 escaped with minor damage while Blackheart 2 couldn't quite leave the AoE.

The Megabomma couldn't quite leave the AoE either but downed Blackheart 4 who got kill greedy instead of banking for safety.

Once the points were totted up it was 129 to the Imperial Navy and 126 to the Orks, another Pyrrhic victory! One more point of damage to the last ground objective or Blackheart 1 not disengaging and it would have gone the other way.

Ground defences worked well for me this time as my opponents low model count meant he didn't really outnumber me most of the game, and as they are not worth victory points when destroyed they acted as a 'bank' for about a third of my points.

They didn't really have any effect on damage to the ground objectives though, as that was nearly all on turn 1 and turn 2. I was also lucky with the rolls, getting a 50% hit rate some turns!

Next time, we're going to do the Canyon run!

• 1 year later...

I'm back!

I've been playing semi regular games but I still haven't finished any new aircraft (!) but I'm getting there, slowly...

I've had a week off and been basing some of the previously finished terrain on laser cut hex bases, and also trying out the forced perspective idea.

20221006_200225.thumb.jpg.98982f540e01edef3536c493acca0585.jpg

I'm honestly not sold on it and may give it a think or just paint them black? It's taken a huge amount of time and it potentially detracts from the minis itself?

20221007_160512.thumb.jpg.edcdc801337bafdc579477de80fc33fd.jpg20221007_160434.thumb.jpg.3d6725adb462a74e58e790e1caddee2b.jpg

I'm not sure if the issue is the buildings need to be smaller or the sand texture is too granular?

Either way it's not easy, so I might be better off keeping to Epic scale for any further terrain ideas or just doing plain bases.

The Arvus lighters are built though, so hopefully paint next!

333.thumb.jpg.acb5ad32fef3cb74584efb550b05a3f5.jpg

The Arvus is so cute :happy:

Yeh the fun part of terrain... Don't want it to take away from the models themselves. They look great, but if you want to skip out on the next set and do them more simple not a bad idea. I wouldn't repaint them after all that effort though. 

Yeh I think the scale and texture is off...possibly too many buildings too?

Did some more painting yesterday, I'm quite happy with the base prototype made from an old Mortal Empires / Planetary empires tile I made a green stuff impression of:

20221008_115351.thumb.jpg.3a8dc18ed78d8378c74ddf52d2db415c.jpg20221008_113435.thumb.jpg.81c841ad6db79d2381521fcf4999fef4.jpg

I also do like the stand extensions simply made from styrene tube and rod, though I'm going to try some clear plastic as well.