Psychic Awakening 2 Chaos factions

Iron_Within

There are posts on the German language GW Facebook with more previews. Night Lords get relic armor that is a 2+ save and bearer always counts in cover, and Alphas get a warlord trait that allows them to snipe characters, and 6s cause mortal wounds.

What are malicious volleys?

edit: probably just renamed Bolter Discipline

Expanded army rules for the Heretic Astartes, including Malicious Volleys, Daemon weapons, new Warlord Traits, Stratagems, relics, Tactical Objectives and name generators for each of the following Chaos Space Marine Legions: Word Bearers, Night Lords, Alpha Legion, Iron Warriors, Emperor's Children, and World Eaters
Edited by Marshal Loss

(and remember our hope is for Tzeentch and Tzeentch alone, praise be)...

*cough* Pretty sure my loyalty lies with Grandfather Nurgle friend. Though I have an appreciation for all of the chaos factions/legions. Especially Khorne. But I've always come out to Papa Nurgle. He is ever present. He cares. :D

I came with low expectations and left disappointed.

Im certainly not alone tho. People are tearing GW a new one on their facebook page. Like 95% negative comments and people claiming they are deleting 100s of them.

CSM are the weak NPCs for the poster boys to beat up on. This obvious power imbalance is intentional.

There is no new csm codex or supps coming soon to answer all our prayers. This is it guys. All we can hope for are hefty pts drops next CA. 

I'm very excited for my World Eaters. Not expecting anything to bring us up to par with Space Marines, but there are some fun inclusions here.

Apoplectic Frenzy in particular looks like it will be fun. I'd probably burn 2 CPs on a couple of 20-man Berzerker blobs and back it up with a Soulforged Pack, for a good chance to make first turn charges.

Red Butchers also look cool, though I'm strugging to think of ways to make sure they get into combat. Deep striking is a must, but even with the Icon of Wrath you're looking at a <50% chance of charging when they arrive. But still, I'll probably give it a go a few times just for giggles.

Interesting to see a method of generating CPs, but you'll need to make sure you have at least 1CP in the bank first. Situational, but if you get the chance to use it there is no downside to it.

Looking forward to seeing what the warlord traits and relics do!

Edited by Cheex

Can we just... focus more on what we do have instead of what we don't? 

I play Emperors Children, Word Bearers and Black Templars, the Missus Plays World Eaters and is tempted by Night Lords, this book gives us both new ways to run our armys, its a win for me. Sure it might not be great but its more than what we have now... 

Im certainly not alone tho. People are tearing GW a new one on their facebook page. Like 95% negative comments and people claiming they are deleting 100s of them.

CSM are the weak NPCs for the poster boys to beat up on. This obvious power imbalance is intentional.

There is no new csm codex or supps coming soon to answer all our prayers. This is it guys. All we can hope for are hefty pts drops next CA. 

If you read those world eater strats and left "Disappointed" you probably weren't going to like it no matter how blatantly powerful the strats were.

I understand we are using a weaker codex but the stuff they previewed is VERY solid (for the most part). Will help tremendously on the table. 

If you read those world eater strats and left "Disappointed" you probably weren't going to like it no matter how blatantly powerful the strats were.

I understand we are using a weaker codex but the stuff they previewed is VERY solid (for the most part). Will help tremendously on the table. 

My regular opponents know how to play vs assault armies and this is a shooting>assault edition.

That being said i don't play WE but if you're happy with them then i'm happy for you and i wish you happy gaming.

I think GW has really tragically misread the room, like when blizzard announced Diablo immortal and everyone wanted D4 and blizzards response was "you guys not have phones"

alot of people are a bit salty with the way factions have been treated and rightly so, ive been having conversations with my friends and PA seems so far to be a straight up cash grab. its cool stuff is getting updated but i think it may be time to start skipping books and updates

Edited by Guzzlrr

(Taken from Reddit)

Night Lords have a relic that gives a 2+ save and the model always counts as being in cover (good for a jump pack lord).

Alpha Legion have a warlord trait that lets you shoot characters with ranged weapons, and unmodified wounds of a 6 are mortal wounds.

Iron Warriors have a mechatendril relic that has 4 attacks that each do a mortal wound if they hit.

(credit to Hexfleet Virules and the german forum leaks)

That Alpha Legion warlord trait sounds nice, but I'm not talking about pure power. One could create nice thematic sniper warlord, there are even FW models that enable this.

Still this PA legion upgrade seems missed chance by GW. Most Space Marine main chapters are getting special units now while CSM apparently end up with some extra WTs, stratagems and other minor things. And the mostly weak legion traits are apparently not getting fixed. I have no idea why GW isn't moving and making the legions deeper, there are FW models to back up creation of legion specific special units through customization, and thematically it's easier to justify CSM showing up in non-spiky get up because CSM are supposed to look like huge collection of everything instead of very organized and standardised. Legion specific units also provide deeper level of balancing as if the special unit is good or even powerful then the relatively worse legion trait can be justified.

I think the Iron Warriors and World Eaters won this round! both look stellar for rules. 

And the Emps Children and Night Lords ain't far behind!!!

Word Bearers look GREAT but when taking them you *MUST* spam possessed to get the most of that ruleset. If you do that? they also seem great. 

Edited by Sonoftherubric21

Very happy with the WB selection. Makes me really want a new Possessed unit. I shall begin work on a Possessed Warlord with an axe-rake immediately!

Rules for WBs, courtesy of Astral Jack in N&R forum:

Word Bearers Rules:

Warlord Traits:

1. Add 3" to Warlord Aura Abilities.

2. This Warlord Gains the POSSESSED and DAEMON Keywords. Add 1 to their Strength, Attacks and Movement Characteristics.

3. Profile on the Community Page

4. Add 1 to the Attacks characteristics of friendly WB Possessed Models within 6" of the Warlord

5. When with Warlord loses a wound, roll 1D6, adding 3 if that wound being lost is a mortal wound, on a 6+, that wound is not lost.

6. +1 wound, Start of every player turn, generate D3 lost wounds.

Stratagems:

1CP: Dark Pact

- From Codex

1CP: Malevolent Covenant

- use in Psychic phase, if WB Psyker fails test - test auto passes, and cannot be denied. Psyker takes mortal wound after.

1CP: Apostle of the Dark Council

- Use before battle, friendly WB priest model can knows and can use an additional prayer for the remainder of the battle.

2CP: Cursed Despoilers

- Use after deployment but before the first turn begins, if a WB unit is on the battlefield, select a piece of terrain (other than fortifications) - cannot be used for cover

1CP: Revered Hosts

Use in Fight phase, select WB Possessed or WB G-Possessed before they are chosen to fight. they all gain +1 Damage to their melee weapons.

1CP: Hexagrammatic Ward

- Use in any phase, after making a saving throw for a WB character, that roll is treated as being a 6. Each WB character can only use this Stratagem once per battle.

1CP: Vengeance For Monarchia

- Use in fight phase, when a WB unit is chosen to fight with, Re-roll hits and wounds against Ultramarine units.

Relics:

Crown of the Blasphemer: +1 Invulnerable save (to a max of 3+). Subtract 1 from Ld characteristics for enemy models within 6".

Baleful Icon: Subtract 2" to charge rolls for enemy units charging friendly WB units within 6" of the relic bearer.

Book of the Reviler: model that is not a Daemon. Before the battle this model can generate 2 chaos boons, re-rolling Spawndom and daemon-hood and duplicate results (does not cost CP)

Malefic Tome: Knows additional power, Add 1 to Psychic tests.

Ashen Axe: Chainaxe only

- S +1, ap -2, D d3, abilities: units within 1" of this relic cannot fallback, unless they're a VEHICLE or TITANIC, or have a minimum move

Epistle of Lorgar: Priest model only, re-roll dice for prayer activation, +1 Ld for friendly WB units within 6"

Thats it for the Word Bearers, onto the Night Lords!

Iron Warriors stuff:

Warlord traits

• Cold and bitter (No fun no run!): When a morale check is rolled for a friendly Iron Warriors unit in 6” it is passed automatically

• Daemon Smith: When resolving an attack by a friendly Iron Warriors Daemon Engine or Iron Warrior Cult of Destruction unit within 6” on the roll of “6” gives and additional hit.

• Iron Without: Ignore Damage on 5+

• Bastion: When resolving an attack that has an armour penetration of -1 against a friedly Iron Warriors unit within 6” and have the benefit of cover the AP is reduced to 0.

• Seige Master: When resolving an attack with a ranged weapon by a friendly Havoc or Iron Warrior vehicle unit within 6” re-roll wound rolls of “1”

• Strike Advance: Friendly Iron Warriors units do not suffer penalties for moving and firing heavy weapons within 6” of this Warlord.

Strategems

• Iron Within Iron Without (1CP) Ignore damage on 6+ until the end of the phase.

• Methodical Annihilation (1CP) Use this strategem in your shooting phase. When an Iron Warrior unit is chosen to shoot choose one of the following effects:

• re-roll damage rolls (1 model)

• Re-roll one characteristic when determining the characteristic of one weapon (Obliterator re-roll basically).

• Dour Duty (1CP) Use this strategem in your opponents shooting phase or your charge phase. When an Iron Warriors unit is chosen as the target of an attack. When that unit is the target of a shooting attack worsen the AP of that attack by 1.

• Unholy Vigour (1CP) Use this strategem at the start of your movement phase. Select one Iron Warriors vehicle unit from your army. That model regains 3 lost wounds.

• Tank Hunters (1CP) Use this strategem in your shooting phase or fight phase when you choose an Iron Warrior unit that is not cultists to shoot or fight. Select an enemy vehicle unit. When resolving an attack against that unit you may reroll the wound rolls

• Rampant techno virus (1CP) Use this strategem in your shooting phase or the fight phase when you select an Iron Warriors Obliterator or Mutilator unit from your army to shoot or fight, until the end of that phase you can reroll any or all of the D3 rolls for your weapons characteristics.

• Cannon Fodder (2CP) Use this strategem at the start of your opponents shooting phase. Select one Iron Warriors infantry unit from your army and one Iron Warriors Cultists unit. Until the end of the phase the Iron Warriors infantry unit cannot be targetted if the Cultist unit is visible.

• Bitter Emnity (1CP) Pick a Iron Warriors unit when selected to fight an Imperial Fists unit in the fight phase. That unit may reroll all hits and wound rolls.

Artefacts

• Seigebreaker Mace replaces a Power Maul or Cursed Crozius. Two profiles:

• Swing: +2S -2AP 2D

• Smash: x2S -3AP D6D Special – With Smash only make 2 attacks. When rolling for damage roll 2 dice and discard the lowest result (melta)

• Cranium Malevolous: Can use this in the shooting phase instead of shooting. Roll a D6 for every enemy vehicle within 6”. On a 4+ they take D3 Mortal Wounds, on a 6 they suffer 3 mortal wounds.

• The Insidium: Gains the Daemon Keyword. +1 strength toughness and wounds.

• Axe of the Forgemaster: replaces power axe or Daemon Axe only.

• +3S -3AP 2D SPECIAL: when attacking a vehicle, an unmodified hit of 5+ does D3 Damage in addition to any other damage.

• Spite Spitter: Replaces Combi Bolter. Following Profile:

• Range 24” S5, -3AP D3D Rapid Fire 2.

• Techno Venomous Mechadentrils: Warpsmith only. Mechadentrils gain the following profile:

• S=User, AP0 1D. When this bearer fights they make 4 additional attacks and only those 4 attacks can be made with this weapon. Any hits scored with this weapon do a mortal wound.

I mean again, those seem neat but without the traits to back it up they get dragged down into the bog.  And this brings up one of the biggest "disconnects" I think:  Chaos, perhaps more than any other army except loyalists (who got their update properly), generally want to play a single legion and have that be the legion they like/identify with/etc. A Word Bearers player, for example, wants to play Word Bearers and have them feel like Word Bearers, not feel like they are being punished because they don't like Alpha Legion instead and AL got the "good" trait by random chance.  When you have a handful decent (Alpha Legion, maybe World Eaters now?) legions and the rest mediocre to lackluster, it feels extra bad because now you feel like you should have liked Alpha Legion more but no, instead you really like Night Lords so you get to be worse.

I think that's what makes it feel worse even when you have interesting traits and stratagems (stratagems are their own problem but that's neither here nor there).

Not sure where it was posted earlier but i’m reposting it here.

Night Lords Rules:

Warlord Traits:

1. from codex

2. can charge after falling back, -1 to hit rolls against melee weapons

3. unmodified hit rolls of 6 cause a mortal wound in addition to other damage

4. Add D3 attack when charging, being charged, heroic intervention. these attacks last until the end of the fight phase

5. when in terrain, +1 to saving throw (not Invulnerable saves). In addition, whilst this model is in terrain, +1 to invulnerable saves (max of 3+)

6. If there are more friendly models within 3" than enemy models, add 1 to wound rolls for melee weapons

Stratagems:

1CP: In Midnight Clad

- from codex

2CP: Vox Scream

- use at the end of the movement phase, select an enemy model within 18" of a NL unit. until the start of your next movement phase, enemy units cannot be affected by the affected units aura abilities

1CP: Prey on the Weak

- use in shooting or fight phase, select a NL unit. Until the end of the shooting or fight phase, when targeting a unit with a lower Ld characteristic than that unit, add 1 to the hit rolls.

1CP: Hit and Run

- use in charge phase, select a NL unit, they can charge even if they fell back

1CP: We have come for you

- Profile on the Community page

1CP: From the Night

- Use at start of Charge phase, select one NL infantry unit in terrain, until the end of the turn, add 2 to charge rolls, and +1 to hit in Combat.

1CP: Raptor Strike

- Use in charge phase, select one NL Jump pack unit that was set up as reinforcements, roll 3D6 for charge rolls.

1CP: Flay them alive

- Use in the Fight phase, when a unit is destroyed from a NL unit. Until the end of the turn, when a moral test is taken for enemy units within 12" of that NL unit, your opponent rolls and additional D6 and can choose which to discard.

Night Lords Relics:

Flayer: Power Sword model only

- S +1, ap -3, D 2, abilities: each model destroyed from this weapon counts as 2 for moral

Storm Bolt plate: 2+ armour save, always counts as being in cover

​Vox Daemonicus: Profile on Community Website

Talons of the Night Terror: Model that can FLY

- S +1, ap -1, D 1, Abilites: D3 additional attacks or D6 if it charged or made a heroic intervention

Scourging chains: Improve the Ap of one melee weapon by 1, in addition, -1 attack for enemy units within 1" of this model

Misery of the Meek: Once per battle: at the start of the Movement phase, model regains D6 lost wounds. in addition gains D3 extra attacks until the start of your next turn.

I’m liking the look of our rules. Some really brutal shut down tools.

Edited by SyNidus

So I posted this already in the main Rumor thread but I think they *NAILED* (pun not intended) the World Eaters strats. 

They may walk away with a decent place on the table after this is all said and done. 

In terms of fluff you might be right but in terms of gameplay they are imo the worst of the lot.  

The bottom line is that close combat does nothing if you don't make it and they didnt get anything to help in that regard.  Night Lords got the 3d6 charge strat I was hoping WE would get and even EC got a strat for reliable charges with an "automatic" 6 roll.  Foot slogging simple doesnt work for close combat infantry.  If you face anything that flies, thunderfire cannons, or guard with hordes of screens then you just wont accomplish anything.    

Goonhammer wrote up a big review of everything, if people are interested (link), and they ended the CSM review with this, which sums up a lot of my thoughts on the matter:

Wow, those Chaos rules sure were something! Hopefully this will be what they need and Marines won’t just get an insane boost that wipes out any forward momentum the faction ha… touches earpiece I’m being told that in the second part of our review tomorrow, Jack “BenBooley” Hunter will review the new Space Marines rules and they are some proper bull:cuss. Cool. This is fine. Everything is fine.

My thoughts: having gone through all of the rules now, there are some really interesting bits and pieces in this campaign book. I love the flavour the Word Bearers have received, and many of the other Legions have some potent combinations that people are no doubt going to enjoy exploring over the coming months. Some items really miss the mark, but overall, there's a lot to like here. If this had dropped in a world where the new Space Marine book wasn't in existence, it would probably be enjoying a rambunctious reception.

However, as has been discussed to death already, this book does not solve any of our faction's underlying issues. It is effectively a castle built on a foundation of quicksand, and the fact that this was published alongside another SM supplement - along with another massive wave of SM buffs - speaks to the extraordinary disparity between loyalists and traitors. I really want to love this book, like many of us I'm a fanboy at heart, but it's so hard not to be bitter when we constantly have to make purchases and yet are miles behind our loyalist counterparts. Even when we do well, they do better. That's just not good enough. It's easy to dismiss all the complaining and moaning as symptoms of an ungrateful community, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

We have to look ahead to CA19 now. Perhaps we'll get new traits & some significant changes there. Perhaps (probably) not. But I sincerely hope GW decides to listen to the community in the wake of this book's shaky reception. I'm a little tired of seeing history repeat itself on a yearly basis with this faction.

Edited by Marshal Loss

My local GW manager and I were discussing these rules leaks and the previews and came to the same conclusion: they’re gimmicks that don’t fix core issues.

Yes, some of the warlord traits are nice for Night Lords. But they’re not better than what we have now, and we don’t get the loyalist stratagem to use more than one. (Outside of Field Commander).

The relics are mediocre at best, and the daemon weapons aren’t just sad. They’re straight worse loyalist relics that also might hurt you.

Maybe if you could bring two relics it might be worth it, but not as it stands.

As for the stratagems? Yes, a couple seem really powerful. But once again, they’re gimmicks locked behind CP in an army that is already starved of CP. outside of pissing off the occasional tyranid player by making him actually play by the core rules and have a morale phase, not much will change.

And for all the poeple saying that chaos marine players are just whining and to wait for the next codex like all the xenos armies:

***We already got our second codex*** it was a joke. A glorified reprint that even included typos from the first codex.