Astraeus Super-Heavy Tank

Ahzek451

Any new thoughts on this guy for Iron Hands? I know most people think it is over-costed and lacking in efficiency. But with the Iron Hands bonus's and the current meta...I kinda think it has a place. At least in an army that focus's on a primaris theme that wants to take on flyers. 

The point cost is roughly over that of 2 repulsor executioners. The damage output is variable in comparison. But for a tough tank sitting next to a techmarine and getting a 2+ to hit from whatever source you want (Feirros, psyker, chaplain).....this thing can reliably kill a flyer per turn(never suffers negative modifiers to hit on main gun), has its 5++, decent save, and a few extra guns that are nothing to sneeze at. And a good candidate for the ironstone post-faq, and one hell of a distraction carnifex. It flies, moves 12" and can be difficult to tie up, has ok combat potential with the grav. And a 3" negative modifier to charges. However, it does not get it's 5++ in combat, but it does prtoect against mortal wounds, and the void shields will degrade less with the iron hands trait.

I dunno, not looking to make this a main go-to, just wanted to re-evaluate it's usefulness and potential. And possibly anything I missed. I'll be looking to playtest it soon. 

Edited by Ahzek451

Any new thoughts on this guy for Iron Hands? I know most people think it is over-costed and lacking in efficiency. But with the Iron Hands bonus's and the current meta...I kinda think it has a place. At least in an army that focus's on a primaris theme that wants to take on flyers. 

The point cost is roughly over that of 2 repulsor executioners. The damage output is variable in comparison. But for a tough tank sitting next to a techmarine and getting a 2+ to hit from whatever source you want (Feirros, psyker, chaplain).....this thing can reliably kill a flyer per turn(never suffers negative modifiers to hit on main gun), has its 5++, decent save, and a few extra guns that are nothing to sneeze at. And a good candidate for the ironstone post-faq, and one hell of a distraction carnifex. It flies, moves 12" and can be difficult to tie up, has ok combat potential with the grav. And a 3" negative modifier to charges. However, it does not get it's 5++ in combat, but it does prtoect against mortal wounds, and the void shields will degrade less with the iron hands trait.

I dunno, not looking to make this a main go-to, just wanted to re-evaluate it's usefulness and potential. And possibly anything I missed. I'll be looking to playtest it soon. 

I have a Fellblade, and while it's fun to bring in a 3000ish army, it's still hella-inneficient. Same with the Astraeus I'm sure.

They're both cool kits (I have a huge weakness for the Fellblade looking like a C&C mammoth tank especially) and are both very powerful, but you have to take into account what you're bringing.  They're fun, but against opponents with decent amounts of dedicated AV you're going to see those 26 wounds disappear pretty fast!

Ultimately, if you've got the dosh, go for it!  I love bringing my Fellblade.  I can usually get it somewhere where it'll survive until turn 3 at least, and until that turn 3 it is pretty much reliably making any vehicle without an invuln disappear from the main gun and then the EIGHT lascannons usually make short work of another one or two tanks as well per turn.

I don't have any experience with the astraeus personally, but just looking at it, the -3 (with dev doctrine) does make the main gun look neat!  Ultimately though, that -3 means it's still leaving a save on heavier targets whereas the fellblade's main gun, and the lascannons, are stripping most non-light-vehicles from any save, unless in cover for the latter in the dev doctrine.

One thing I do know though, is that that Toughness 9 on the Fellblade makes a HUGE difference.  Considering most of your common AT is rocking a S9 profile, modifying that 3+ to a 4+ is a big changer for survivability (even moreso, turning the second most common S8 into a 5).  Don't need to take a 5+ void shield save if you don't get hurt anyway.

Both are ultimately more a psychological factor than anything.  They're so powerful, at least the Fellblade is in my experience, that they allow the rest of your army to thrive better because everything is trying to get the monster off the board.  I think if the Astraeus went for to around 500-550ish, and the fellblade to 650-700ish, it's be far more reasonable to take outside of basically "just for fun."

Feirros 2+ ability along with the innate reroll 1's in the Dev phase means either can reliably just hang out with feirros to be pretty much guaranteed to be sending a lot of pain downrange.  Pop a LT next to it with the stone seems like a very powerful combo for at least the fellblade.  The main gun hitting and wounding (most vehicles) on 2+ with rerollable 1's for both is pretty nasty!

First and foremost, they look awesome, but are hella inefficient!.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Astreaus is not terrible. A bit over priced but it really dishes out the pain. I have faced it many times and lost a good number of those games. My buddy (who owns 2) uses it in tournaments regularly and is one of the top space marine players in Canada.

Astraeus is actually a decent option for IH.

It can still benefit from the Iron Stone and psychic power to improve the save making it durable. Also it can benefit from the CT and Doctrine easily if taken in a supreme command detachment.