So back in 7th edition I like many others have before me fell for the flavour of the month when the Khorne Daemonkin was released and decided that I would start a new army! I threw together a few boxes of Bloodletters, some Berzerkers and a few other bits and bobs and voila I had myself an army. The two old bloodthirsters certainly helped padding out the points. It was a rushed army back when I was a worse painter and I can't say I put a lot of work and effort into it and thusly it looked terrible and since the Khorne Daemonkin are no longer with us they've been stuffed out in a box somewhere so that I didn't need to look at them.
Behold some (admiteddly terrible) pictures of what they looked like.
While I learned to paint the colour red reasonably well I cannot say I ever finished a single model, seeing as nothing was ever based. Recently I have been itching to play Warhammer 40.000 again however and since I am still in limbo regarding what to do with my Ultramarine force I wanted something else. At first I made longing looks at a few armies but I've no large sums to spend on lots of boxes beyond what I already have so in the end I dug out my old box of discarded daemons. With some quick maths I figured out what I could muster around a 1500 points in daemons if I put it all together.
All in all as things stand I rougly have.
x1 Bloodthirster (Old puny metal one)
x1 Daemon Prince
x2 Heralds (Bloodmasters?)
x30 Bloodletters (x2 Squads of 15)
x9 Flesh-Hounds (Fantasy Hounds)
x1 Soul Grinder
A neat little army if I can get it all done. I decided I wanted to try and go a bit different from the usual red colours since I had already done that a lot. Recently much of my painting has been focused on the more grimy looking monsters part so figured I can try that for the bloodletters as well. It makes for a pretty quick paint job focused on washes and today I took a bloodletter, primed over the old paintjob and gave it a go.
Here is my first test miniature.
Not 100% done obviously but enough there to see what I'd be going for. Are a few details I am still on the fence on, the red sword for one which did not came out in a way I am overly thrilled about, I also need to decide for a way to paint the eyes to make them stand out and the biggest choice will be how to base them. The majority do have sand on the bases so I am stuck with that, my current idea is trying to go for some manner of dark grey landscape with snow, perhaps with blood and dead grass details.