New Mephiston/Psychic awakening p3

Neuralshock

Hello friends, let's talk about our favorite little possessed dude and what might be in store for him.

Now I don't know exactly where the thread is, but I distinctly remember someone mentioning that playtesters were using new rules for mephiston (this was pre-psychic awakening announcement). A certain YouTuber today mentioned that for part 3 of PA will deal with blood angels and tyranids, and that mephiston might be getting updated.

What could this mean? I personally think that mephiston isn't going to cross the rubicon as much as he will become an "ascended" version of himself after he resolves the dual personalities within him.

Also, will we get our own doctrines? Codex? With the additional rumor of a BA Xmas battle box, they might want to push hype on BA by the end of the season. Thoughts?

Psychic awakening was meant to be current timeline. What's the point in doing past stuff with the new progressive storyline? Especially a devastation of baal one, when that story has been done both via rules and novels already.

Really hoping itll be a case of them hunting the remainder of the tyranids in the region and retaking worlds or something.

I dont think mephiston should cross the rubicon, kind of implied his physical form is basically just a container for pure energy now.. although I guess maybe they might play it like the physical upgrades (half the god maker organ) stabilised his form or something.

I'd still rather see dante though lol. Dante with 2 sanguinary guard in the same way as Calgar has his victrix guard would be awesome. I dont think we will see any "proper" units though.

If the events of the "Psychic Awakening 3 : Baal" are to follow the Great Rift opening and the Devastation of Baal events, then the Blood Angels have quite a number of possible enemies.

First, the remnants of the Tyranids that may continue to ravage on a smaller scale the area of space of the Red Scar.

Second, the Necrons of the Mephrit dynasty that have awakens following the Shield of Baal events.

Third, the Tau Colonisation Force of the Sevensuns System in the Red Scar. (See the "Bloody Retribution" entry in the Chronological events of the Codex Blood Angels 8th edition.)

---------------------------------------

To this list, i may be possible to add Chaos forces, but i have doubt, since those three forces would be enough opponent/protagonists for a Psychic Awakening book. Plus, Chaos forces will be featured within the Book 3 of the Psychic Awakening. Perhaps Khorne forces, since they are thematic, but i doubt they would form the main enemy.

As for Mephiston "Primaris", another possibility, would be to make him "evolve" in an unforseen way. Instead of a Primaris transformation, his character would instead be transformed into a form that would be influenced by both his gene-seed and the warp forces within him. (Pssstt...Pssstt...Mephiston Vampire....). On the same note, Dante could become more than a Primaris but an Angelic incarnation. (Aka, he undergo the Primaris transformation, but due to some Gene-seed/Psychic influence, his transformation go even further than intended......and Dante become....a sort of, if not, the Sanguinor.)

After seeing the next Guy Haley Blood Angels book cover, Darkness in the Blood, i come to think that it would be interresting that the Blood Angels duality may be represent model wise with an Angelic Dante and a Vampiric/Daemonic Mephiston. A protector of life, and a lord of death.

The Red Scar is too far away from where the symbol was shown on the datamined map so I doubt T'au will have anything to do with it. Not to mention that the leaks very clearly said BA vs Tyranids.

To those who have read Devastation of Baal :

Do you recall what Mephiston flew to the other side of the moon to find with the other librarians? I’m drawing a blank and curious if that could somehow tie in with Meph getting pumped up (aka Primaris-ified, even if not Primaris-ified)

My memory is failing me.

Edited by Indefragable

Do you recall what Mephiston flew to the other side of the moon to find with the other librarians? I’m drawing a blank and curious if that could somehow tie in with Meph getting pumped up (aka Primaris-ified, even if not Primaris-ified)

My memory is failing me.

Hah, I'll be honest ... I know which part you mean but I remember falling asleep there on my way to work and not going back to listen to it again. :D 

My memory is failing me.

yeah, it wasn't anything major in regards to the long term of the story.

It was just a cave full of crystals that meph and the libbies used to amplify their power to stop kah'banda from materializing on baal, instead shunting him to one of the moons with the flesh tearers and ?knights of blood?.

So guys, help me out here, Shield of Baal: Exterminatus, does that not cover the events of what Haley wrote about in Devastation of Baal?

From Lexcicanum:

Describing the final acts of war in the Cryptus System, the Shield of Baal series reaches its epic conclusion with the release of Shield of Baal: Exterminatus. Led by Chapter Master Dante, the forces of the Blood Angels stand against the assault of Hive Fleet Leviathan. Allied with the Adepta Sororitas, Imperial Guard, Flesh Tearers Space Marines and Necrons (yes, the Necrons!), the Blood Angels put their lives on the line in this earth-shattering finale.

If yes it seems very unlikely, surely, that PA3 would be again that conflict right? Yes it's Blood Angels and Tyranids again but to cover the same event that was already covered in a supplement before seems unlikely. 

I would have thought it would delve into a new conflict, set after Devastation.

Also because we are getting a new Guy Haley book of which the special edition releases soon, which also shows Dante, Mephiston and the Blood Angels in the timeline after DoB.

Did Abaddon get some sort of plot contrivance that explained his massively larger new model?  I didn't check out the books that accompanied his new release.

No, he was just always supposed to be big. Then got powered-up the Chaos gods, then stood on a squished Primars Lieutenant.

I still think that the rumors about PA3 are based solely on the initial trailer (which could mention the past attack on Baal known to the Inquisitor and not the events happening at the momement) and in reality we will get other faction as an adversary. At least I hope it won't be another campaign against the bugs.

Did Abaddon get some sort of plot contrivance that explained his massively larger new model? I didn't check out the books that accompanied his new release.

Even back in the Heresy, Abaddon was bigger than almost any other Astartes, too the point that there were rumors he was a clone of Horus.

Add to that, big suit of custom terminator armor, plus chaos boons.

His previous model suffered from scale creep pretty bad, see Mephiston and Dante for models of similar age

Did Abaddon get some sort of plot contrivance that explained his massively larger new model? I didn't check out the books that accompanied his new release.

Even back in the Heresy, Abaddon was bigger than almost any other Astartes, too the point that there were rumors he was a clone of Horus.

Add to that, big suit of custom terminator armor, plus chaos boons.

His previous model suffered from scale creep pretty bad, see Mephiston and Dante for models of similar age

Yeah just due to how old the model is at this point they don't even really need to justify making his new model huge.  He's already been reborn, they can just use that to justify him being huge. 

It would be interesting if they tie in some kind of awakening with Mephiston's rebirth etc, and/or Primaris stuff....

Making him comparable on some sort of scale to the best monsters out there.  Personally, though, id much prefer a tactically sound Dante :( ala G-Man or Calgar. 

It's my greatest hope for our Chapter Master who is talked up beyond belief in the history and fluff, but just....so, so dull, uninspired and basic in rules 

It would be interesting if they tie in some kind of awakening with Mephiston's rebirth etc, and/or Primaris stuff....

Making him comparable on some sort of scale to the best monsters out there.  Personally, though, id much prefer a tactically sound Dante :( ala G-Man or Calgar. 

It's my greatest hope for our Chapter Master who is talked up beyond belief in the history and fluff, but just....so, so dull, uninspired and basic in rules

They said that psychers are getting more powerful since the rift and Mephiston is more than just a powerful psycher, not even he knows exactly what he is. So my guess is the rift is making him unstable so they Add the Primaris organs to him in a desperate attempt to stabilise him. I too hope they do something more interesting to him than the typical Primaris stat boost. Ideal opportunity to get a loyalist Primarch level character without all the complications and drama of an actual returning Primarch.

GW’s rules writers have needed to show Dante more respect for decades now, the 2 Dante novels have really added pressure to this though

Well, the new question is, what is the direction that the Blood Angels are taking? I will cite 2 examples.

First, Tor Garadon of the Imperial Fists. GW clearly has a direction in mind for them, and it is clearly not the direction of Lysander. Garadon much better fits the theme of a shooty, defensive force of marines, especially the Primaris ones.

Second, is my own beloved Raven Guard, and Kayvaan Shrike. He got the Primaris upgrade, kept his Lightning Claws, and got a faster jump pack. This is despite there not (currently) being Primaris with jump packs and melee options. Surely, there is more, yet to be released, Primaris units for him to drop in with than Grav Chute Reivers, Inceptors, and Suppressors. Sure, he is the only Raven Guard character, but then again, so was Lysander, He'Stan, and Kantor their respective Chapter's only character.

Between the Raven Guard, and the Blood Angels, GW just have to have something in mind for Jump Pack Primaris units. I regret to say, I do not see the Sons of Sanguinus represented at many game stores on 40K nights. Not sure why this is.

The biggest difference, is that while Raven Guard started out as Ultramarines with a different paint job, to sneaky Ultramarines, to the Sneaky Beakies we are today. Not so with the Blood Angels. You have some of, if not the, very best lore in the setting. You epitomize the saying of "all gave some, but some gave all" and not just during the Heresy. I am sure GW will bring the Primarus line more inline with the Blood Angels. There is just too much there to let the Sons of Sanguinus die out, or worse, play like Ultramarines in red from now on.