New Mephiston/Psychic awakening p3

Neuralshock

Also, on a more personal note, the depiction of the Red Thirst victims in Devastation of Baal were not really the best in my opinion.

I particularly disliked the depiction of the Knights of Blood, with the red skin, bulbous yellow eyes...it particulary was disapointing after having introduced them as warrior scholars, who due to the Curse of the Red Thirst, weren't able to control themselves fully when in battle. I think there was little need for this daemonic-like appearance, except to create a link that i dislike even more between Blood Angels and Khorne daemons.

On the other hand, the Amarean prisonners, depicted as bigger, wilder, savage, gorilla-like, primal Astartes, were interresting. Plus to note that if the Red Thirst were to provoke physical changes on Astartes, on the same level as the Wulfen, it would make Mephiston changes even more interresting in this regard.

I think the Knights of Blood were used narativly to show what could happen to any Sons of Sanguinious if they fail, while adding in the redemption by self sacrifice and rather die than fail tropes that is the Blood Angels, same as the Amarean prisonners, a "this is what would happen, if the BA fell, aren't they so cool and awesomesource that they havent".

It was pretty much the only way a writer could do it without annoying a larger portion of BA fans by having a company or the chapter fall, because in a battle that big it had to be something kinda huge, a single squad would be something of an anti climax or just random, Suddenly Asteroth turns up and kills off a squad, other marines go :censored: me what happened, they unhelm the dead marines and see that they are part way into turning into bloodletters. ok that might have been a cool way to do it, but the pacing would have to be just perfect.

At most, you could argue cawl is because he was able to remove it. But considering what we now know about him. That's a push too.

Yeah after reading the Cawl book he seems like someone who just has almost more luck than brains, tumbling through all the big events doing borderline heretic things others wouldn't dare to do and always getting away with it without getting killed for good (just a few mindwipes here and there) thanks to either luck or knowing the right people to barely cover for him due the positive results of his shenanigans.

He's a genius alright, but what he does and the way he does things could backfire anytime and declare him as enemy of the Empire. He's playing a risky game and he knows it but his ego is just way too big lol

It was a concept introduced with a tiny little blurb in the timeline section of the 5e codex. It's never been directly acknowledged outside of the timeline and in the novels nobody seems to believe that's what he is. But mephiston definitely acknowledges that calistarius is dead, telling his old friend (an epistolary) this fact many times over the various mephiston stories.

The whole black inner fire thing sounds very much like a darker version of what primarchs are like (read the ferris manus death scene in fulgrim).

Personally I like the idea that he has indeed effectively unlocked something about the Angel's geneseed

Quoting from  afew days ago as I catch up:

Kind of like the 'extreme stress induced mutation' from Deadpool. 

It's interesting as in "At Gaius Point" by AD-B it's kind of suggested that in Death Company Marines, the chem-stimms flooding the marines system to try and fend off the trauma of the rage are slowly illing the marine and would eventually do the job anyway. I can't remember if this was released before or after the 5th ed codex and Astorath's role, however the two are not incompatible, with Astorath executing the DC marine to prevent...erm...incidental casualties... in the same way Zavien hunts down Jarl.

Back to my point - Normally if DC marines were to burn out and die, maybe the extreme stress on his body triggered something.

I get the feeling that we'll see Mephistons body begin to unravel, and the Calgarian Rites being the only way to keep him together, something something godmaker, something bellisarian furnace, then this interaction clears some of the psychic blockage hes been having.  

After "Phoenix Rising", I am keeping my expectations low. I would like to see us get Doctrines as well as the revamped Stratagems from the main codex. However PR was distinctly lackluster. It did little to address existing balance issues beyond repointing the Ynnari characters. Most of the additions were interesting and fluffy but did little to address the fact that half the units in the army are basically trash and competitive CWE and DE armies generally spam just a handful of over-powered units.

Obviously there has to be more content than just Mephiston but I am not getting my hopes up too high at this point. While I admit that Eldar did not need as much help as BAs do, PR was definitely a damp squib with which to launch PA.

That may be true, and likely to have as little as PA1. But only because Chapter Approved will be addressing the BA tabletop needs.

Although, 'supplement levels' updates has me very very curious for future PA books.

Spoilers for upcoming Book:

Meph is Primaris. Confirmed at the BL Weekender.

Supposedly some other changes to the chapter something about spiritual. Who knows but seems like stuff is happening

For those interested, details from aa.logan (buy that man a beer!) on what Darkness in the Blood covers regarding Mephistion and Dante and enbiggening of them (or lack thereof):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/357493-bl-weekender-2019/?p=5423042

Somewhat spoilers from his write-up of the seminar with Guy Haley and Darius Hinks:

"Audience

Frailties are interesting. Dante crossing the rubicon, how would he be different?

Gh- if it did happen, you’d need to find another challenge for him.

Dh- it’s a big surgery. Mephiston does it because he has to. Dante is too important to risk, perhaps."

Thanks for the highlights. Will definitely need to pick up the novel as I'm curious why mephy thinks it's necessary.

Still think there is an opportunity to redo Dante as a commander unit that eventually gets more "breatstick-y" when you damage him enough.

Guy Haley apparently mentioned he's become quite close with the studio team and they've (finally?) learned to share information quite effcientally. Curiosity on the chiken-or-the-egg question of whether that means

GH wrote that Dante does not (yet?) cross the Rubicon because the studio does not (yet?) have an update planned for him, or whether the studio held off since GH wrote him as not (yet?) crossing it.

What I do find intriguing his comment about

"Gh- if it did happen, you’d need to find another challenge for him."

Spoilers for upcoming Book:

Meph is Primaris. Confirmed at the BL Weekender.

Supposedly some other changes to the chapter something about spiritual. Who knows but seems like stuff is happening

For those interested, details from aa.logan (buy that man a beer!) on what Darkness in the Blood covers regarding Mephistion and Dante and enbiggening of them (or lack thereof):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/357493-bl-weekender-2019/?p=5423042

Somewhat spoilers from his write-up of the seminar with Guy Haley and Darius Hinks:

"Audience

Frailties are interesting. Dante crossing the rubicon, how would he be different?

Gh- if it did happen, you’d need to find another challenge for him.

Dh- it’s a big surgery. Mephiston does it because he has to. Dante is too important to risk, perhaps."

Sad to see Dante like this - but very very cool at the same time.  Wish the studio could just do him right.  

Becoming primaris would be a walk in the park for him. I bet he was awake for the whole process on a couch eating ice cream and watching Marvel movies.

Probably performed the surgery on himself.

Strange that he's in exactly the same armour, while all other Mango Juiced Marines grow a lot larger and need antirely new armour. 

According to the announcement for PA2, BT didn't get as much as we'd hope. This is toning down expectations for us.

Got any links to the announcements? I have had a trawl through some of the BT/PA2 threads but our fraters over there are nearly as devoted as us and I couldn't see what the bottom line was.

One thing I did notice was that Grimaldus has received some buffs (despite not getting a new model). This give me hope that Old Man Dante may finally get the stats he deserves as Regent of Imperium Nihilus.

Becoming primaris would be a walk in the park for him. I bet he was awake for the whole process on a couch eating ice cream and watching Marvel movies.

Strange that he's in exactly the same armour, while all other Mango Juiced Marines grow a lot larger and need antirely new armour. 

Those collar pillars with skulls on top look just as terrible as they did in the 90s too..  I can't believe they retained them..

He probably told whoever made his new armour that it has to look like his old one and nobody dared to tell him otherwise because he's Mephiston the Lord of Death. :P

Those collar pillars with skulls on top look just as terrible as they did in the 90s too..  I can't believe they retained them..

Nah, man. They look awesome.

The new PA2 preview is up, and it also contains stratagems for upgrading the generic characters, e.g. a Librarian to a Chief Librarian:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/11/faith-fury-a-first-lookgw-homepage-post-3/

Could be a likely thing to be included as extra stratagems in Blood of Baal.

The new PA2 preview is up, and it also contains stratagems for upgrading the generic characters, e.g. a Librarian to a Chief Librarian:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/11/faith-fury-a-first-lookgw-homepage-post-3/

Could be a likely thing to be included as extra stratagems in Blood of Baal.

Possibly but it would be odd in that we already have our Chief Librarian and Master Chaplain as named characters. In the same way that we don't get a Chapter Master stratagem.