New Mephiston/Psychic awakening p3

Neuralshock

The biggest difference, is that while Raven Guard started out as Ultramarines with a different paint job, to sneaky Ultramarines, to the Sneaky Beakies we are today. Not so with the Blood Angels. You have some of, if not the, very best lore in the setting. You epitomize the saying of "all gave some, but some gave all" and not just during the Heresy. I am sure GW will bring the Primarus line more inline with the Blood Angels. There is just too much there to let the Sons of Sanguinus die out, or worse, play like Ultramarines in red from now on.

Only one thing will get me back into the fold. I love the new primaris line of marines and want them to be Flesh Tearers. I want a primaris Seth. I wouldn't mind a Flesh Tearers supplement either, but this is highly unlikely.

Back on topic. I can see Mephiston getting a primaris model with the PA supplements for sure. While Dante needs an update I am not sure PA is the best fit for it. Mephiston upgrade & Jump Pack Primaris with PA 3, Dante, Seth, Death Company Primaris upgrade with Codex: Blood Angels 2.0.

That is what I would like to see.

The last codex release of Blood Angels that I remember was right at December as well. I don't think there will be a codex release of Blood Angels for December, though I would love to be wrong, but maybe a Blood Angels supplement in PA3 in December?

Neither of the two characters in the first PA book are noteworthy psykers, so I don't understand why PA wouldn't be the best fit for Dante getting the update.  The problem is that Mephiston has been viable since day 1 of 8th edition, Dante has not.  An update to Mephiston could be great, but he is already viable so the update is a luxury, whereas Dante NEEDS an update.  This is a character that only surrenders authority to Guilliman right now in the lore and he's completely worthless on the table.

Neither of the two characters in the first PA book are noteworthy psykers, so I don't understand why PA wouldn't be the best fit for Dante getting the update. 

Very valid point. I agree that Dante needs a update. But I dunno, I guess we'll see in a month or two what is going to happen.

I suspect Dante won't be updated until our Codex release to add extra value to buying the codex, along with perhaps Sanguinary Guard similar to the Ultramarines' release. Sucks, but seems the most logical given what we've seen thus far. My main complaint is milking our special units where we'd have to wait even longer for Primaris Death Company.

Hopefully this supplement is meaty with updates, and new/updated stratagems. Maybe Chapter Approved will have the unit point updates we desperately need. I'm not holding my breath though, I have a feeling we may be a bit disappointed overall minus the Mephiston update. 

As I've mentioned he's been in playtesting since about January. I can't imagine he's been playtested for a good amount of time just for +1 W Primaris upgrade. We may be in for something cool.

Neither of the two characters in the first PA book are noteworthy psykers, so I don't understand why PA wouldn't be the best fit for Dante getting the update.  The problem is that Mephiston has been viable since day 1 of 8th edition, Dante has not.  An update to Mephiston could be great, but he is already viable so the update is a luxury, whereas Dante NEEDS an update.  This is a character that only surrenders authority to Guilliman right now in the lore and he's completely worthless on the table.

The first book is about the Eldar as a race, which are all potent psykers in their own way, and what it means for their future, which is largely decided by big important characters like the ones that were in the box. No need for them to be 'noteworthy psykers' themselves.

As for Dante ... sure he could have fit in PA3 as well probably, however that's not what GW decided to do and it's not like Mephiston wouldn't fit the PA narrative, so I don't get why you're upset. It's not about what units are viable. It's a narrative release, not a re-balancing release.

It feels like you are completely missing the point of the Psychic Awakening releases.

Seeing as PA3 is called blood of baal. I'd guess that will be our "supplement"

I dont think there will be any units.

Just mephiston

Yeah I have absolutely zero expectations except for a sweet new Mephiston model. Let's see what the Black Templars actually get in PA2 and adjust our expectations accordingly.

That was part of my point as well though.  Dante doesn't need to be a psyker to be involved in the narrative of Psychic Awakening, so I don't understand why anyone would think he wasn't a good fit for PA.

Edited by Orblivion

Yeah but as I already said, there's also nothing speaking against Mephiston, while he's actually a much better fit for the PA narrative currently. Nobody thought Dante wasn't a good fit. Just not as good as Mephiston.

Yeah but as I already said, there's also nothing speaking against Mephiston, while he's actually a much better fit for the PA narrative currently. Nobody thought Dante wasn't a good fit. Just not as good as Mephiston.

The first post of this page is a person saying he didn't think Dante was a good fit for PA, that's who I was responding to.

The 3 Ynnari characters all got a hefty discount in PA1 so it is not impossible we will see Dante buffed and/or discounted in some way, even without a new model.

Edited by Karhedron

Since we're talking about Dante at the moment:

I was looking at the latest AoS stuff and saw the commander of the undead being a cool commander type. Wouldn't it be super awesome that we get "functionally a primarch" type unit where in Dante has a squad of dudes with him and the more wounds you put on him, the better he gets to represent his retinue buffering until you get only Dante. Maybe if after a certain threshold he loses army buffs (signalling the loss of his retinue to command the army) and at a certain point you get Dante himself who ends up being the beat stick we know and love?

Not saying he'd just let his retinue take the wounds for him on purpose but rather that they are incredibly protective of him and would rather sacrifice themselves in place of Dante kind of thing.

Idk, just an idea as I thought the mechanic was kind of neat.

Edited by Spagunk

Since we're talking about Dante at the moment:

I was looking at the latest AoS stuff and saw the commander of the undead being a cool commander type. Wouldn't it be super awesome that we get "functionally a primarch" type unit where in Dante has a squad of dudes with him and the more wounds you put on him, the better he gets to represent his retinue buffering until you get only Dante. Maybe if after a certain threshold he loses army buffs (signalling the loss of his retinue to command the army) and at a certain point you get Dante himself who ends up being the beat stick we know and love?

Not saying he'd just let his retinue take the wounds for him on purpose but rather that they are incredibly protective of him and would rather sacrifice themselves in place of Dante kind of thing.

Idk, just an idea as I thought the mechanic was kind of neat.

Curious and cool ruleset - reverse degredation where he gets more powerful over time? Kind of like skarbrand used to be. I dont like the idea of a huge base on dante though. 

I’d love it if wings was just integrated into his profile rather than a power.

It makes sense as a power to make blood angels librarians different but the chance of failure/being denied makes it a bit risky imo when you can have Captains with jump packs as a smashy alternative

If he was just treated as jump pack infantry instead of having to cast a psychic power, he'd lose mobility. Unless you're suggesting his normal movement stat should be 19", which would never happen.

I would take movement of 12” for reliability personally.

I'm really curious how this story will play out. Will BA counter attack the remnant Hivefleet Tendrils and that's basically the gist of the campaign? Are the Necrons going to get in on the action? I was really hoping for BA to take on the Black Legion, but perhaps Guy Haley will scratch that itch with his upcoming book.

I'm really curious how this story will play out. Will BA counter attack the remnant Hivefleet Tendrils and that's basically the gist of the campaign? Are the Necrons going to get in on the action? I was really hoping for BA to take on the Black Legion, but perhaps Guy Haley will scratch that itch with his upcoming book.

Based on the art that comes with it, I think the books antagonist will be necrons

Based on the art that comes with it, I think the books antagonist will be necrons

Good bet, as I think there are some folks at GW are also very tired of the BA-Necron bro-fist meme, and a BA-Necron scrap would likely put the lie to that particular Heresy.

I’d love it if wings was just integrated into his profile rather than a power.

It makes sense as a power to make blood angels librarians different but the chance of failure/being denied makes it a bit risky imo when you can have Captains with jump packs as a smashy alternative

If he was just treated as jump pack infantry instead of having to cast a psychic power, he'd lose mobility.  Unless you're suggesting his normal movement stat should be 19", which would never happen.

Unless he would somehow be denied from casting Wings altogether, he would technically only gain mobility; afaik nothing stops you from casting Wing of Sanguinius on a Librarian with Jump Pack currently. Then you would have 12" movement in the movement phase even if Wings isn't up yet, plus another 12" movement in the psychic phase + reroll charges once you cast it like usual.

So if Mephiston is increased to 12", that's 5" of extra movement no matter how you put it. And your reliance on Wings goes way down.

The art that comes with darkness in the blood. It was a response to the suggestion that book might include the black legion. But the art print that comes with it shows mephiston and dante in what looks like a necron tomb

Ah that one. I didn't connect it to PA3, but could very well be.

In the middle of Revenant Crusade. Will confirm or deny any juicy plot points regarding this when I'm done. The whole plot is that something is hampering Meph's psychic powers and he's been searching for decades to find what it is, and it beings him into contact with Necrons. Maybe he does a thing and the Necrons retaliate.

afaik nothing stops you from casting Wing of Sanguinius on a Librarian with Jump Pack currently. Then you would have 12" movement in the movement phase even if Wings isn't up yet, plus another 12" movement in the psychic phase + reroll charges once you cast it like usual.

So if Mephiston is increased to 12", that's 5" of extra movement no matter how you put it. And your reliance on Wings goes way down.

That’s a good point but it probably means they wouldn’t do it. I’m going to guess that wings isn’t balanced for jump pack librarians as they are index options rather than in the codex.