Homebrew warband WIP: The Blood Diviners

Finally I'm pretty sure I know what I want to do with my Chaos army. The general idea is that they were a Space Marine chapter that was pretty tribal, they mark themselves with runes and are generally pretty savage. They have shamans "instead" of psykers, similar to 30k Space Wolves in that they deny that they are psykers but are instead "seers", only really "visions" when blood is spilled. They believe themselves to be worshipping aspects of their world, the Wolf, the Raven, the Toad and the Serpent, but are actually worshipping daemons of the 4 gods that are messing with them. They quickly turned from the Imperium and began to let blood to see their "future". Although they're undivided, they spill A LOT of blood so they generally worship Khorne but do also branch out into the others. Thinking about calling them "The Blood Diviners".

I plan on mostly running them as any of the renegade warbands but the scheme is ambiguous enough that I won't mind using any of the legion rules too.

That's the theme, scheme wise I'm thinking brass/bronze armour, black trim on the shoulder pads and silver on rest of the trim, with light blue and red as spot colours. I tried out a couple of schemes and am currently undecided on the two, but am leaning more towards the orangey/dark of the two:

I didn't really like the left one, it was too bright even with two agrax washes

48940820771_a31592af69_h.jpgIMG_20191021_193257

Left guy missing the runes:

48940665261_f61345b510_h.jpgIMG_20191021_212113

48940663106_d2740bfca7_h.jpgIMG_20191021_212142

And the right guy which I'm leaning more towards:

48940663146_330007ba53_h.jpgIMG_20191021_212148

48940109468_71058bc96c_h.jpgIMG_20191021_212236

I may go back and do all the trim black, but C&C and tips are welcome

Edited by TrawlingCleaner

Tried another 3 models with the scheme from the left guy and am now preffering it. It's simple enough to do and looks dull and worn out. The only problem I've found is that when I make an error the original colour, when painted on, doesn't look like the original colour when drybrushed on. I need to highlight and do some weathering on the original guy and also play around with some rune markings, making making them a bright blue? C&C on these guys is more than welcome.

48952234166_4f1959ad29_h.jpgIMG_20191023_214843

48952233181_8c21f9ed99_h.jpgIMG_20191023_214903

48952431052_cb322b0511_h.jpgIMG_20191023_214936

The colours work really well together, the bronze is great in particular :tu: The only problem with such methods is as you've mentioned - you make a mistake on the plate and it's a pain to correct :( I've found that the only way to get it "perfect" is to repaint the entire block with the error on. Not so bad for the inside of a shoulder pad, but can be troublesome easily - more so with drybrushing :confused: Otherwise covering it up with a bit of weathering, a detail or transfer is an idea, but realistically there shouldn't be too many slips so it won't be a big deal :)

Have you decided on the basing scheme yet? I think they'd work fine with most schemes, but an urban ruin style base feels like a good fit to me especially if you want snow for some contrast? Keep us updated on your progress :D

• 1 month later...

The colours work really well together, the bronze is great in particular :thumbsup: The only problem with such methods is as you've mentioned - you make a mistake on the plate and it's a pain to correct :sad.: I've found that the only way to get it "perfect" is to repaint the entire block with the error on. Not so bad for the inside of a shoulder pad, but can be troublesome easily - more so with drybrushing :confused: Otherwise covering it up with a bit of weathering, a detail or transfer is an idea, but realistically there shouldn't be too many slips so it won't be a big deal :smile.:

Have you decided on the basing scheme yet? I think they'd work fine with most schemes, but an urban ruin style base feels like a good fit to me especially if you want snow for some contrast? Keep us updated on your progress :biggrin.:

Really late reply but thanks WarriorFish! Much appreciated! I may have to repaint a few panels I think, as I have a couple that have mistakes that I need to tidy up.

For bases I think Astrogranite will work fine for this as it's pretty dull and the majority of my my friends armies that I play against have this basing scheme so it makes sense from a narrative perspective. I will give the snow a go as it should make them pop a little bit too.

I've been looking at whether I want to repaint my Chaos to this scheme or Word Bearers and have decieded to do this scheme. I have a lot of ideas for models and for fluff as well as having a narrative campaign coming up that I'm running with my friends, which I can use to help expand my ideas.

I've written up a rough history of the Chapter, although they're technically a Warband, they still are organised and think of themselves as a Chapter. Also I realise it might read like they're the reason the Great Rift happens but it was meant to be that it's purely coincidental and the reason why the Aspects made their move. C&C is most welcome:

The Blood Diviners were a Loyalist chapter that was assigned the home planet of Quartos on the far reaches of the Eastern Fringes. They continually called for reinforcements after fighting all manner of xenos and chaos incursions alone. Quartos’ population are still in a relative dark age, what we might see as the Bronze/Iron age today. This means that the chapters has become very tribal, spiritualistic and superstitious. Due to the nature of their training and upbringing where only the strong survive together, they’re all very tight-knit. They do not have rivalries outside of friendly rivalries which are quashed on the battlefield. There is no backstabbing in the Chapter, only actions which benefit the group and because of this they operate very efficiently. 

Instead of Librarians they have Shamans. Shamans are outcasts not out of fear but because they’re training is done separately, they’re very secretive about what they do. Shamans are held in very high regard and almost worshipped out of respect for their power. They commune with the world spirits especially to the 4 Aspects of the planet. All Marines in the Blood Divner are able to drink enemy blood and see small glimpses of possible futures and Shamans can see Large chunks of possible futures after drinking the blood of enemies due to their unique training.

The Blood Diviners worship the aspects of their home planet: the Wolf, the Toad, the Raven and the Serpent. These aspects manifest in many different ways with each having their own shrone on the planet as well as marines creating shrines on their ships, transports and with runic symbols on their armour and weapons. 

The longer the Blood Diviners were left without reinforcements or any word for outside Imperial  faction meaning that they increasingly became disenfranchised with the Imperium but they continued to fight for the systems they protect. The chapter was besieged on all sides by a large Ork Waagh and with no other options they turned to the Blood Angels. They sent an envoy to beseech them to give them aid; Reinforcements, arms, armour or anything of any use. They had few men left and were running low on all supplies. The envoy was turned away before even getting a council with Dante and was told they had no time for those not of the Sanguinius bloodline due to the encroaching Tyranids. The usually calm Chapter Master was furious that they had been passed over and abandoned once again, cursed the Blood Angels. 

The Shamans came down from the mountains and called a Chapter wide meeting to commune with the world spirits. The Aspects of the world would mostly whisper to the Shamans, offering advice or visions, now they were offering a deal: Denounce the Imperium and the Emperor, join them and they will remove the Ork Invasion and give them strength. All surviving members of the chapter voted unanimously to join the Aspects, as the decision was obvious. They’d worshipped the Aspects for as long as any of them could remember, had been given boons of strength, knowledge and foresight. In a blinding flash the Ork invasion disappeared and in its place a spreading dark mass across the sky. The Eye of Terror had expanded, the Aspects of the world had their power increased tenfold and had destroyed the Orks instantly.

Given their new strength and pact, the Chapter started to amass recruits. They were quickly running out of arms and armour so they turned their attention to a nearby Forgeworld that had supplied them until it had heard of the dismissal by the Blood Angels. After a lightning fast raid the Blood Diviners took the Forgeworld and with knowledge from the Raven and the Wolf, the Chapter’s Techmarines started work on making arms and armour as well as more devious designs. With their supply lines secured they began raiding and expanding their empire. They do not directly worship Chaos but they do worship the 4 aspects of the planets, which are Greater Daemons that were bound there. 

Some time after the Rift opens, the Blood Diviners have taken over the majority of a sector with very little resistance, crushing those who try to stop them and converting those who do not. Out of the dark a ship arrives  from across the rift. Rather than destroy them outright the Chapter Master decides to hold a parlay. The ramp open and outsteps very large marines with the same livery as the Blood Diviners. They’re hideously mutated but still coherent to tell their tale. They had been sent by Guilliman to reinforce the Blood Diviners as they had sent out many calls for reinforcement before the Rift opened. The Primaris marines inside had been stuck in the rift for 100s of years having to succumb and make a pact with the daemons that infested their ship after their Gellar field failed. This was clearly a gift from the World Spirits and with these fresh recruits the Blood Diviners decide to push their raids even further into the new Dark Imperium

I use Astrogranite for my Chaos, as does BCC who adds snow so it'll be a neat fit I think :thumbsup:

Astrogranite it is! :biggrin.:

Oh, I already thought I had answered this one earlier. I like the middle one...waaaay too late. :happy.:

Haha, I do that all the time too.

At the time when I was painting them I liked the more orange bronze colour but the brass has definitely grown on me markedly. I managed to get loads more drybrushed and washed but haven't taken pictures of them yet, I will do when I get home!

Got some drybrushing and washes done on some dudes. Also had a go at runes on the first guy, which I think I need to go back and re-do. C&C very welcome

49164825077_0dda985f80_h.jpgIMG_20191203_182659 

49164108378_a663747e59_h.jpgIMG_20191203_182705 

49164108363_0e68006ab2_h.jpgIMG_20191203_182723 

The runes look good to me? A good start here keep the updates coming :thumbsup:

Oooh, the runes really pop with those colours!

Thanks guys!

I don't like the white dots on the points of the Runes I think, the light blue on top of the blue is enough of a glow. I started the sergeant with the power sword last night and got most of the other colours blocked in and will take some pictures tonight after doing some detailling.

I like the dots - they really make the runes pop.  Maybe try the next few without the white and then you can see the two side by side.  You can always add the dots to those models later should it turn out you like that look better.

I like the dots - they really make the runes pop.  Maybe try the next few without the white and then you can see the two side by side.  You can always add the dots to those models later should it turn out you like that look better.

Thanks for the feedback Dr, I really do appreciate it. I tried some runes without the dots and I think they pop just as much. I think I'm going to do a few models and see how I feel with it, although I might go with a really light blue rather than white for the dots. Anyways here's how the sergeant is coming along, plenty to tidy and plenty to do yet:

49177101952_fbc0eb5de1_c.jpgIMG_20191205_221223

49176400518_63d68d86a0_c.jpgIMG_20191205_221230

49176888811_e6a98e9f78_c.jpgIMG_20191205_221237

I'm glad my advice was helpful.

At least from the pictures, I like the dots better.  In the above pictures, the symbols that get a natural highlight from the way the light reflects (for example, the shoulder one in the first picture) look much better than those that do not (for example, the leg one in the last picture).  By making your own highlights, you are ensuring that they all pop.

That said, I understand that the way models look in person and in pictures can vary (man do I know it, my Emperor's Children look very different in photos than they do on my desk), so ultimately my advice may not apply as I can only judge from the photos.

Incedentally, I really like the purple top knot - the model really benefits from that spot of colour.  You might want to see if you can work it into your other models - maybe on ammo pouches and such.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

I'm glad my advice was helpful.

At least from the pictures, I like the dots better.  In the above pictures, the symbols that get a natural highlight from the way the light reflects (for example, the shoulder one in the first picture) look much better than those that do not (for example, the leg one in the last picture).  By making your own highlights, you are ensuring that they all pop.

That said, I understand that the way models look in person and in pictures can vary (man do I know it, my Emperor's Children look very different in photos than they do on my desk), so ultimately my advice may not apply as I can only judge from the photos.

Incedentally, I really like the purple top knot - the model really benefits from that spot of colour.  You might want to see if you can work it into your other models - maybe on ammo pouches and such.

I didn't really think about how stuff wouldn't get a natural highlight if it's lower down, total brainfart moment. Looking at both models not under an LED light made me realise the difference and you're definitely right. I added a lighter blue on the symbol's corners but may go back and add some white. I've still got some stuff to tidy up like the sword and some other bits but he's coming together now. C&C very welcome:

49191871432_1909d43982_c.jpgIMG_20191208_223455

49191675611_aa9fb5e185_c.jpgIMG_20191208_223449

49191871437_7b293bb29b_c.jpgIMG_20191208_223432

49191871737_351cc4b31f_c.jpgIMG_20191208_223416

Thank you mate! You're too kind :wub:

Once this guy is finished, I've only got 2 more to do to get a 5 man combat squad done. I think I'll give a 5 man boltgun squad a go after that :biggrin.:

I also started on some Termies:

49206946368_bb7394fbb3_c.jpgIMG_20191211_222233

And after looking at Insane Psycho's Iron Warriors thread I saw the perfect transfers for the Chapter symbol for this army, the Corpse Griners (?) symbol of the skull in the braizer looking thing:

49212222886_83e2203365_c.jpgCapture

They arrived and were way smaller than I thought but I think I can make them work. I've never used transfers before so if anyone has any tips that would be much appreciated.

Edited by TrawlingCleaner

Nonsense, I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it :wink: Seems to me that you're in the hobby zone and everything is coming together!

I'm no expert on transfers but some varnish applied beforehand helps with application, as well as afterwards (when it's fully dry) to help protect it. The trick is to apply matt varnish so it doesn't shine - the issue here will be you have your models a bit shiny already so don't want to mess with that if you can avoid it. Microsol and set are supposed to be great for transfers but I've not tried it yet, I reckon this is something to check in with the Forge experts on :thumbsup: