Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to you model your Lieutenants?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

palin2222

palin2222

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 119 posts

I am in the planning process building of few things my army is missing and when I came to the lieutenant I am not sure how I want to model one.Obviously they need to be visually distinctive.

At present I have my Veterans in robes, and my Master in Robes and a winged helm. I know other marines armies use a stripe on the helm for Lieutenants, or different color helms but I cant find any official art that shows the Dark Angels doing this kind of thing. 

How do you model your Lieutenants? 

Space Marines: The Few, the Proud, The Usually Out Numbered...

Dark Angels 7th Reserve Company

Adeptas Sororitas Order of the Argent Shroud

Greenz

Greenz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 804 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Absolution
Well, being DA you’ve already nailed the obvious on the head. Robes or a hooded tabard are your go-to’s for marking out someone of importance.

From there you could add some sort of embellishment on his belt. A knife, keys, a small book, a censor, a DA symbol hanging from a rope. Or on the backpack you could add some candles or skulls. All of those are small icons that appear on characters.

Or depending on your painting skills, you could do a checker pattern somewhere. I believe command squads have a skull on the right shoulder pad. Maybe throw a skull decal on?

The only lieutenant In my AoA so far is one of the only models in my army without a helmet on, so that helps him stand out. Plus he’s standing on a bunch of dead Orks, so that helps too :D

Edit: autocorrect

Edited by Greenz, 22 October 2019 - 11:14 PM.

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 927 posts

I don't remember who it was that said it, but I believe it was something like this:

"Take an Intercessor or similar and paint a stripe on his wee head." The word "wee" stands out in my mind.

"All power demands sacrifice and pain. The universe rewards those willing to spill their life's blood for the promise of power." - Sindri Myr

gallery_48988_15465_989.pnggallery_48988_15465_2505.pnggallery_26154_15777_6252.pnggallery_48988_15808_10055.png

"There is no meaning, no purpose. We murder, we kill. It is mindless savagery, this UNIVERSE is mindless!" - Azariah Kyras

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,216 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Lt doesn't have to be a basic looking bro, they could be as decked out as a captain if you want- then you have an excuse to really go nuts with a captain/ chaptermaster. 

• Zephaniah Adriyen likes this
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 100 posts
Going strictly by book heraldry, Dark Angels Lieutenants, unlike more Codex compliant chapters, don’t rely on the red and white strip on the helm but instead are represented by a single sword on the right shoulder pad. You’ll find it on the DA transfer sheet, top right corner. However, if you think a strip would look badass, go ahead and do it.

As for modelling, the usual fare for DA characters works. Books, keys, candles, robes, tabbards, chains, daggers, anything that evokes Arthurian mystical Knights. Whatever suits your vision for the Dark Angels.
  • G8Keeper likes this

G8Keeper

G8Keeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 675 posts
  • Faction: Angels Repentant

Going strictly by book heraldry, Dark Angels Lieutenants, unlike more Codex compliant chapters, don’t rely on the red and white strip on the helm but instead are represented by a single sword on the right shoulder pad. You’ll find it on the DA transfer sheet, top right corner. However, if you think a strip would look badass, go ahead and do it.

As for modelling, the usual fare for DA characters works. Books, keys, candles, robes, tabbards, chains, daggers, anything that evokes Arthurian mystical Knights. Whatever suits your vision for the Dark Angels.

I thought it was on the helmet? I'm going for a conversion based on the Lt Calsius mini from conquest.  Beginning to source parts as the sword hilt and pommel need a lot of work to change from smurfs.

gallery_3547_15792_6078.pnggallery_3547_15435_7258.pnggallery_3547_15792_4794.png

The Gentle Axeman

The Gentle Axeman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 39 posts
I'm considering the same question at the min, my Lt has a huge sword and a relic looking plasma pistol as well as a censer on his belt, so molding wise he's over done if anything.

I was considering painting some little wings on his helm in place of stripes but and yet to try it out.

Show us what you decide on.

Edited by The Gentle Axeman, 23 October 2019 - 08:04 AM.

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 100 posts

I thought it was on the helmet? I'm going for a conversion based on the Lt Calsius mini from conquest. Beginning to source parts as the sword hilt and pommel need a lot of work to change from smurfs.

The boxed Lieutenant and the cover art for War of Secrets show a sword on the helmet, yes, but I can’t see anything official for that as heraldry. The Lieutenants though certainly use the same sword icon as veterans, as per the transfer sheet and the codex heraldry section for Veterans

dark-angels-2-transfer-sheets.jpg

Top right corner.

Naturally, though, I must emphasise that these are “your dudes” and you should model, paint and mark them up how you see fit.

Edited by UtariOnzo, 23 October 2019 - 08:51 AM.

G8Keeper

G8Keeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 675 posts
  • Faction: Angels Repentant

Naturally, though, I must emphasise that these are “your dudes” and you should model, paint and mark them up how you see fit.

Of course.  The symbol does look too big for a helmet to be fair. I was sure I'd seen it in the codex heraldry section, maybe I'm dreaming though, it happens a lot.

gallery_3547_15792_6078.pnggallery_3547_15435_7258.pnggallery_3547_15792_4794.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users