Vanguard Army: Chapter and Purchases?

So I wanted to start a Vanguard only army after I had a ton of fun playing an aggressive drop pod army the other week. I look forward to deployment shenanigans and the theme itself.

I had a list idea that was composed of a double battalion with a Captain and LT in Phobos, 3x 6 man squads of infiltrators with comms, then another with 2x Phobos Librarians, 3x 5 man squads of Incursors with Haywire Mines, 3x Invictors, 10x Reivers with Knives, and 3x Squads of Las Fusil Eliminators.

What do you guys think of this list, especially as an aggressive board control list? What would you swap out and any tactical advice for this theme? And what chapter or successor traits?

Edited by General Strike

Yea, I think Raven Guard is the obvious answer. You won't be needing any of the deployment stratagems that they provide, but the warlord traits and psychic powers complement the style that the Vanguard units seem to favor. If going RG, you'd probably want to swap out the Las Fusils on 2 of those Eliminator squads for the bolt sniper rifles; they are some of the best units in the codex at utilizing the super Doctrine that that RG have. Then use Temporal corridor to fling reiver squads all over the place after they grav-chute in, and have the other librarian Shadowstep support characters or himself to help them and the incursors capitalize on whatever gains your Invictors can open up for you. Heavy armor lists might give you some difficulty, but knights and other big things get made into characters all the time, which means you get to hurt them more.

I think if you wanted a less obvious answer though, White Scars might also be able to utilize these units well. The ability to charge after advancing is huge, and they are probably the only Codex marines who can make Reivers actually pull their weight. Giving them and your Incursors the opportunity to cycle charge or advance and charge could help capitalize on your forward deployments very well, and allow your Invictors to hunt bigger targets, with your melee troops able to effectively butcher chaff units. The only downside is it's going to take 3 turns before the WS super doctrine kicks in, and that is going to hurt a little. The invictors will be pulling a lot of weight in a list like this. 

I am betting one of the Christmas bundles is going to be a phobos oriented box and the other marine bundle will be standard. That article has created a bit of a buzz and seems like a perfectly timed marketing article showcasing this force.

Call me crazy but I actually like an Ultramarine Successor here.

Seal of Oath near your Eliminators

You can stack a ton of buffs to make Incursors very potent.

• Reliquary of Vengeance
  • Gene Wrought Might
  • Sons of Guilliman (or a Chapter Master) - re-roll all non-6's to hit.
  • Squad Doctrine
  • Whirlwind of Rage successor trait

Scions of Guilliman is nice to keep your damage output high

Rapid Redeployment is extremely good for Phobos since they can deploy so many places, and is much better than Lord of Deceit.

I am betting one of the Christmas bundles is going to be a phobos oriented box and the other marine bundle will be standard. That article has created a bit of a buzz and seems like a perfectly timed marketing article showcasing this force.

Interesting prediction! I'd love for this to be true, as I need some more Eliminators and that Invictor is just too sexy, but isn't that a little quick from the release of the range to one of those bundle boxes? i figured they would try and milk as many single box sales as they could before releasing a bundle.