Primaris All Infantry

I’m building a pure-ish Primaris force for my Crimson Fists. I’m converting stuff for my non-Primaris guys, like Pedro Kantor. He’s already got the stat line of a Primaris Captain so I think this is reasonable. And he adds an awful lot to an infantry-based army, in the form of rerolls and attacks. He even has a decent gun now, and a useful 7 power fist attacks on the charge.

There's an IF list that did quite decently in the recent London GT. It had... a lot of Intercessors. Infantry-only. Take a gander:

Hidden Content
Primaris Lieutenant, master crafted stalker bolt rifleChaplain10 Intercessors, Sergeant with chainsword, 10 stalker bolt rifles, 2 auxiliary grenade launchers10 Intercessors, Sergeant with chainsword, 10 stalker bolt rifles, 2 auxiliary grenade launchers10 Intercessors, Sergeant with chainsword, 10 stalker bolt rifles, 2 auxiliary grenade launchers10 Intercessors, Sergeant with chainsword, 10 stalker bolt rifles, 2 auxiliary grenade launchers10 Intercessors, Sergeant with chainsword, 10 stalker bolt rifles, 2 auxiliary grenade launchers10 Intercessors, Sergeant with chainsword, 10 bolt rifles, 2 auxiliary grenade launchersAncient, stormbolterImperial Fists Siegebreaker Cohort BattalionPrimaris Captain, master crafted stalker bolt rifle-83 WARLORD The Vox Espiritum, IndomitableChaplain10 Intercessors, Sergeant with chainsword, 10 stalker bolt rifles, 2 auxiliary grenade launchers5 Infiltrators5 Infiltrators3 Eliminators3 Eliminators3 Eliminators199911 CP

There's an IF list that did quite decently in the recent London GT. It had... a lot of Intercessors. Infantry-only. Take a gander:

Hidden Content
Primaris Lieutenant, master crafted stalker bolt rifle
Chaplain

10 Intercessors, Sergeant with chainsword, 10 stalker bolt rifles, 2 auxiliary grenade launchers
10 Intercessors, Sergeant with chainsword, 10 stalker bolt rifles, 2 auxiliary grenade launchers
10 Intercessors, Sergeant with chainsword, 10 bolt rifles, 2 auxiliary grenade launchers

Ancient, stormbolter

Imperial Fists Siegebreaker Cohort Battalion

Primaris Captain, master crafted stalker bolt rifle-83 WARLORD The Vox Espiritum, Indomitable
Chaplain

5 Infiltrators
5 Infiltrators

3 Eliminators
3 Eliminators
3 Eliminators

11 CP

That IS a lot of intercessors, I assume just regular bolt rifles on everything

Hidden Content
Chaplain

10 Intercessors, Sergeant with chainsword, 10 bolt rifles, 2 auxiliary grenade launchers

Ancient, stormbolter

Primaris Captain, master crafted stalker bolt rifle-83 WARLORD The Vox Espiritum, Indomitable
Chaplain

5 Infiltrators
5 Infiltrators

3 Eliminators
3 Eliminators
3 Eliminators

11 CP

It says right on it, stalkers on most dudes, and there's a squad with 10 regular.

Hidden Content
Chaplain

Ancient, stormbolter

Chaplain

5 Infiltrators
5 Infiltrators

3 Eliminators
3 Eliminators
3 Eliminators

11 CP

He went 4-1. Capitalized on the juicy 3 damage Stalkers for anti-tank and the rest is basically Bolt weapons for them bonus shots and anti-horde. I can imagine that the 1 loss was against IK, because his anti-T8 is not efficient.

The biggest problem I see with an all-primaris all-infantry list is the limited antitank options:

hellblasters, las-fusil eliminators.

Maybe a power fist? But good luck delivering that without vehicles.

edit: IF could maybe skip AT if they bring enough bolt-weapons.

Depends on the force really. Bringing a unit of 6 aggressors or even two units is going to give you a lot of anti-tank. Getting them to the tank though is a bit more difficult. IF can do this a lot easier with static stalker rifles at D3. But even IHs do this well in a different manner.

A single 6 man aggressors squad + ferrios is a butt ton of shots, but I didn't word it very well so I get the misunderstanding

Pretty solid point for Iron Hands here. Having a mobile force on intercessors with stalkers and Ferrios and the new Apothecary supporting the Aggressors. this is going to be a scary scary point control group. Back it up with suppressors to make sure that your aggressors can assault anything they need to smash. Another option, since the aggressors are going to be racing up the board anyway is to field them with the flamers to help handle fliers. Not complete necessary but very helpful in certain situations.

The interesting thing about that intercessor horde list is that the LGT came before the Fists codex supplement even came out (much to my irritation, because I wanted to use my Crimson Fists). So those stalker bolt rifles were not D3 against vehicles, and he still went 4:1.

I'm certainly considering the intercessor horde approach myself. It has only improved since the codex dropped. 

Pre-IF book, its still 2 dead T7 3+ vehicles in turn 1 without any re-rolls being applied (roughly 27 wounds). The exploding 6s does a lot of work there, generating roughly 50 hits from the 60 stalker shots. It's also killer against primaris marine lists

At 2000 points I'm looking at a brigade with 30 intercessors, but the full intercessor horde approach certainly has viability. Eliminates the need for aggressors, certainly. If you weren't running IF/CF though, you need that anti tank somewhere.

What I have noticed in some small playtest games is that unless you're playing the dug in entrenched style like the above list, you need some early pressure units. Invictor Warsuits look like the answer, despite not being infantry.

I think my time in the pure primaris infantry style is over. I played in a tournament last weekend and only won 2 out of 6 games. My list just had no mobility to speak of and in 3 of the games, I essentially lost by walking slowly into a kill zone. It was an ETC format event (eternal war plus maelstrom plus kill points). I don't think primaris infantry currently have an answer to armies that suit back in the corner and simply outshoot us.

Inceptor deep strike, infiltrators, incursors, warsuits, raven guard stratagem can all create early pressure but unless you mech up (75 point impulsors...), I feel you with the walking into the kill zone thing.

Again though - ultramarine intercessors have a 36 inch threat range in tactical doctrine. Our kill zone is not small

I'm a bit out of the loop but is the rule of three still a thing?

I'd love to go full demi company but guessing I would have to mix intercessors and infiltrators?

Rule of three doesnt count troop choices, so you can have like 9 squads of infiltrators or intercessors or incursors or scouts

Umm...

No Slips, it's a matched play rule

It's in one of the FAQ/chapter aprroved for matched play.

It isn't any more optional than no deep striking turn 1

If you are using matched play for an organised event such as a tournament, we suggest using the table below.

Nope, Slips is right. The "rule of three" is not a rule. It is a suggestio for organised events. Nothing more.

Regardless of the technicalities, the rule of three is used by every matched play event I've heard of. It may as well be a rule. It does potentially have an impact on building all-infantry Primaris armies, because it prevents you really spamming units like eliminators and suppressors.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my time in the pure primaris infantry style is over. I played in a tournament last weekend and only won 2 out of 6 games. My list just had no mobility to speak of and in 3 of the games, I essentially lost by walking slowly into a kill zone. It was an ETC format event (eternal war plus maelstrom plus kill points). I don't think primaris infantry currently have an answer to armies that suit back in the corner and simply outshoot us.

Have you tried Impulsors? . . . or Raven Guard?

Have you tried Impulsors? . . . or Raven Guard?

Or White Scars even?

Edit: Or Vanguard units? Concealed positions and various movement shenanigans through WL traits and Psychic powers.

Edited by Dumah