Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

IA: The Knights Oracular (LASC 19) - Draft 0.8!

LASC 19 Ace Debonair DIY Liber Astartes A Mysterious Chapter Wheels Within Wheels Layers Within Layers Alpha Legion But Also NOT Alpha Legion

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Grey Hunter Ydalir

Grey Hunter Ydalir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,779 posts

Thing is, I usually see far too overt an influence in most chapters, including my own, from their inspiration. I mean, it's not easy as Astartes are not exactly the subtlest of angry-post-human-cyber-augmented-warriors that ever existed in any sci-fi setting.

With the glass helms, it doesn't need to scream Mysterio, so long as you 'space marine' up their appearance. like the above image have a skull spray-painted on the front. Throw Mysterio through a grimdark filter and see what pops out visually.

Your IA was fun, not referential and I honestly didn't place the colour scheme until you told me. Maybe I'm just an idiot.

All I'm saying is you have some wiggle room, is all.

Perhaps have your Librarians with glass helms? It'd fit the influence!

The Octaguide.
The Thousand Marine Myth.

On the scale mismatch of bolts and bolters by Coldfyre

Commissar Molotov's Castigators - Essential reading for IA Creation.

"...I have seen the birth of this world and I have seen its death. I walked with the first men and I shared a beer with the last. For me everyone is both old and young at the same time as a million lifetimes pass before my eyes and humanity is like the grains of sand in the desert, each breath to me a sigh in the vast never-ending vacumn of space."
-Silver Phoenix

Messor

Messor

++ PROCREATOR COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,187 posts
  • Faction: Cold Fire Coalition

I really dig the paint job. It plays very well with the inspiration, while still feeling to me like something I would legitimately see in 40k. The blue strikes a nice balance.

gallery_26154_15777_721.png

The Liber; it's like a Biscopea for DIYs!

Messor's Content

Brother Lunkhead

Brother Lunkhead

++ ANTICUS ÆSALON ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,406 posts
  • Faction: Praetorian Sword, Ultramarines

Honestly I think a better solution is to find some different heads.

Well... yeah, it is, but I can't find any helmets that look better than the ones I have.
There is also the fact I'm wary at best of most third party bits and their associated bits sites. ph34r.png

There is also also that I'd like the KO to at least have the pretence of subtlety in their theme. laugh.png

I'm bound to come back and dilute some of the Mysterio influence properly, just as soon as I find something suitably cool to dilute it with.

I'm thinking too much variation (drastic redesign, fog effects, etc.) in helmet design might invite unwanted attention from others and eventually you know who...… =][=eek.gif

gallery_26154_15777_13780.png

Grey Hunter Ydalir

Grey Hunter Ydalir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,779 posts

The legions had, and modern chapters all have their own stylized helms. I think as long as they report it to be aesthetic, I think they can get away with it. 

Considering how much leeway the Astartes have already with tech and redesigns, double that now that Bellisarius Cawl and Papa Smurf are in charge, I don't think they have much to worry about.

I also think the Inquisition has more to worry about with Big Bobby G's attention on them. All that said, that's modern Imperium. THAT said, so long as people don't look too closely, the Imperium is a big place, and some Astartes with unusual helmet designs I doubt would warrant too much of a hard look, unless it came on the coattails of a larger investigation.

Look at this Lunkhead, we've swapped roles.

The Octaguide.
The Thousand Marine Myth.

On the scale mismatch of bolts and bolters by Coldfyre

Commissar Molotov's Castigators - Essential reading for IA Creation.

"...I have seen the birth of this world and I have seen its death. I walked with the first men and I shared a beer with the last. For me everyone is both old and young at the same time as a million lifetimes pass before my eyes and humanity is like the grains of sand in the desert, each breath to me a sigh in the vast never-ending vacumn of space."
-Silver Phoenix

gripschi

gripschi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 39 posts
As Long they dont utlizie Wraithbone for there helmets, they shouldnt be brotherd by it.

Maybe the Chapter has Access to a Ore, which probaly forged Turn transparent. With a bit adamantium or Else give the needed Protection.

Maybe a bit "exotic", i Image it more by Psykers. But its your IA, and If you choose it, its fine.

Brother Lunkhead

Brother Lunkhead

++ ANTICUS ÆSALON ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,406 posts

The legions had, and modern chapters all have their own stylized helms. I think as long as they report it to be aesthetic, I think they can get away with it. 

Considering how much leeway the Astartes have already with tech and redesigns, double that now that Bellisarius Cawl and Papa Smurf are in charge, I don't think they have much to worry about.

I also think the Inquisition has more to worry about with Big Bobby G's attention on them. All that said, that's modern Imperium. THAT said, so long as people don't look too closely, the Imperium is a big place, and some Astartes with unusual helmet designs I doubt would warrant too much of a hard look, unless it came on the coattails of a larger investigation.

True.... there are many stylized helms across the countless Space Marine chapters.  However all seem to be variations on  recognizable standard designs across the millennia. Some of the more elaborate ones such as those worn by Moloc and Enkomi of the Minotaurs can be seen as standard designs stripped down and tricked out. Even the Primaris helmet designs are just variations on a theme. I don't really even have a problem with truly drastic designs like the Mysterio dome, I just think it will draw unwanted attention to this particular chapter.

Other things like the Knight's flashy Mysterio colors ( which I truly digthumbsup.gif) are well within keeping of a typically arrogant Space Marine chapter, and while I don't think wearing smoking fish bowls over their heads is going to immediately bring the Inquisition down on them, I do think it will draw attention and comments. I think the attention and comments they draw will be more than a chapter with a hidden agenda like that of the Knights Oracular would want.

laugh.png 

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:49 AM

I'm bound to come back and dilute some of the Mysterio influence properly, just as soon as I find something suitably cool to dilute it with.

What about hallucinogenic gas grenades?

Ace Debonair

Ace Debonair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,516 posts
  • Faction: The Thousand Ideas

OK, so...

For the moment I'm still thinking the standard troops will have metallic blue helmets, sergeants get the ghostly-blue coloured ones (codex ones go with bright red, this divergence is probably within acceptable parameters in-universe) and when I get around to doing a Librarian*, I'm gonna do my best to go Full Mysterio with the guy's hat, although I'd set expectations for any success to the lowest possible setting.

Hats aside - is there anything else that needs work?

I'd consider adding hallucinogenic gas grenades, but that's closer to the Mysterio inspiration (at least, how he is in the comics) instead of further away.

Inspiration is a fickle beast - I'll find something, somewhere, that works for me, but it might take a little while. happy.png

* It's going to happen now, it's just a matter of time - I have so many other projects to work out, both writing and modelling-wise, that I can't say when the KO will be back on my painting table.

• Messor likes this

Brother Lunkhead

Brother Lunkhead

++ ANTICUS ÆSALON ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,406 posts
Posted Yesterday, 02:17 PM

I'd consider adding hallucinogenic gas grenades, but that's closer to the Mysterio inspiration (at least, how he is in the comics) instead of further away.

Inspiration is a fickle beast - I'll find something, somewhere, that works for me, but it might take a little while. happy.png

Moving further away..... I see. Must have misread your postwacko.png Still, I like the idea of hallucinogenic grenades..... maybe I'll use it for one of my own DIY chapters, the Leary Brigadehappy.png 

…..when I get around to doing a Librarian*, I'm gonna do my best to go Full Mysterio with the guy's hat, although I'd set expectations for any success to the lowest possible setting.

You might consider making your own Mysterio fishbowl. A master model made with modeling clay would be simple to make. You could use a simple mold injected with clear or dyed resin. All are easy to find at a reasonable price at a hobby or art supply store.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LASC 19, Ace Debonair, DIY, Liber Astartes, A Mysterious Chapter, Wheels Within Wheels, Layers Within Layers, Alpha Legion, But Also NOT Alpha Legion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users