Heavy Support

1x 10 Man Grave Warden Squad

-Spartan DT

--Armored Ceramite and Flare Shield

6x Land Raider Proteus

-Armored Ceramite 

Let me know what you think

Edited by WolfLogic

Since you're only getting 3 HS slots in a standard Primary Detachment, I will be assuming this is using the Armoured Spearhead RoW. 

The list itself feels spammy to the max, seems very 40k-ish, and despite all that 'effort' it will probably still be going down like a ten-dollar-street-worker against 30k lists that bring enough dedicated anti-tank. 

The one positive thing that comes my mind is the impressive amount of scoring units, great for a objective grabbing and holding.

What changes would you suggest then?

It's built off this 2k list

HQ

Praetor in Cataphractii

-Combi Bolter and Thunder Hammer

-Digital Lasers and Mastercraft

Troops

3x 10 man Tactical Squads

- Sergeant w/ Artificer Armor

Heavy Support

1x 10 Man Grave Warden Squad

-Spartan DT

--Armored Ceramite and Flare Shield

3x Land Raider Proteus

-Armored Ceramite and Chem Munitions

-Heavy Flamer 

Edited by WolfLogic

I don’t know where to even begin?

30k is all about the fluff, the cool characters and special units, the lore and playing the Army with your interpretation of how they would look in the lore.

Spamming tactical squads and land raiders isn’t that.

What is your favorite DG book? Make an army based on it.

Throw some characters in there, bring your Primarch.

I don’t know your local meta, but a list like this would be punished in my local group, lots of pie plates getting dropped on the used land raider parking lot, Volkite decimating your massed foot slogging infantry.

30k is all about cinematic moments, stories, dice rolls swinging the tide of battle in your favor, primarchs and their retinue squaring off.

Also, you are going to run into major issues with things like terrain existing, you will end up struggling to get shots with land raiders blocking other land raiders.

As others already have said, this list is just not quite right for 30k.  Sure, you can go stubbornly with it if you must, but what for? I wouldn't call it powerful - it's seriously lacking in firepower and flexibility, no AA, no melee, no synergy, the list goes on. You may catch someone off guard, but there are many armies you just can't  really tackle.

It's not fluffy - it doesn't have to be but spamming unit 6 times is just...wrong. If it wasn't for Grave Wardens, we would't know it's Death Guard!  Most of all, it's boring. Boring for you, boring for your opponent. Boring for any passerby. Even boring to paint.

So you should ask yourself a question - what do you want your army to be? If you love tanks, go for it: you have plenty of choices if you, say, drop 3-4 land raiders, pick Armoured Spearhead RoW and start taking Sicarians, Predators and Artillery.

Maybe be fluffy - take Wardens, Deathshroud, some Characters, maybe Heavy Support Squads. Give them Land Raider transport you so adore

Maybe you want to be very competetive - alright, plenty of lists to learn from on this Forum.

Anything will be better than this.

• 3 weeks later...

I reckon you'd get much more mileage out of spamming rhinos over land raiders. Put all those other points into more effective Las weaponry such as Mortis Dreads. Still death guardy.

Drop two tac squads and get creative, maybe some support squads so you don't lose out on Troop scoring?

Do you really have six Land raiders lying around?.. Shoe box proxy's.

Dropped 3 Land Raiders and 3 Tac Squads. Got some fluffy things.

Typhon and the Deathshroud would ride with the Grave Wardens in the Spartans. Siege Breaker would stay with the Heavy Support Squad equipped with Missile Lauchers and the Master of Signals with the Heavy Support Squad equipped with Volkite Culverins.

Spartan with Grave Wardens, Typhon, and Deathshroud would rush into the enemy line and unload it's passengers forming the 1st line

Tac Squads in the Land Raiders would go for objectives and form the 2nd line 

Volkite Culverins would for the 3nd line and chew through infantry

Missile Launchers and Contemptor would form the 4th line and focus on enemy armor

This is my basic plan at least

++  Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [3,000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Calas Typhon [290pts]

. Master of the Legion

. . Deathshroud Terminator Squad: 2x Deathshroud Terminators

Master of Signal [130pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, On Foot, Refractor Field

. Consul

. . Master of Signal

. Power Weapon: Power Axe

Siege Breaker [130pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, On Foot, Refractor Field

. Consul: Siege Breaker

. Power Weapon: Power Axe

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [200pts]

. Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion: Twin-linked Lascannon

. . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Twin-linked Bolter

+ Troops +

Heavy Support Squad, Legion Missile Launcher [220pts]: Missile Launcher, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion

. Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour

Heavy Support Squad, Legion Volkite Culverin [255pts]: Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Volkite Culverin

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [135pts]: Bolters, 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolter

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [135pts]: Bolters, 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

+ Heavy Support +

Grave Warden Terminator Squad [710pts]: 8x Grave Warden Terminator

. Spartan Assault Tank, Legion: Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield, Quad Lascannon Sponsons x2, Twin-linked Heavy Bolter

Land Raider Battle Squadron, Legion [660pts]

. Land Raider Proteus: Armoured Ceramite, Chem-munitions, Hull-Mounted Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer, 2x Twin-linked Lascannon Sponsons

. Land Raider Proteus: Armoured Ceramite, Chem-munitions, Hull-Mounted Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer, 2x Twin-linked Lascannon Sponsons

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance:   XIV: Death Guard, Traitor

Rite of War: The Reaping

+ Use Playtest Rules +

Use Playtest Rules: Playtest Rules Off

++ Total: [3,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I like what I see! Way nicer list overall, still packing Land Raiders but more balanced and diverse. I'd suggest a few tiny tweaks:

- Heavy Support Squad can take cheap and viable Augury Scanner. I'd recommend it espescially for the Missiles one as they can shoot out of turn and delete some nasty deepstriking unit...as long as it doesn't have 2+ armour of course

- Now, I often use Missile Heavy Support myself so I don't aim to discourage you but since you're taking Siege Breaker and want them to hunt vehicles, there might be an alternative. Autocannons. They cost the same. Yes, they don't have AP3, and won't be killing AV14 but with SBreaker they are mathematically more likely to penetrate any other vehicles (AV 10-13). They score more glancing hits which is a shame but with launcher's ap3 you can't explode vehicles right away. So autocannons kill tanks and dreads faster. Give it some thought.

- Lastly, Rad Grenades are very scary. They can spook enemy units and make them think twice before charging in. They also affect overwatch. I'd give them at least to Wardens unless you want to have them joined by Calas all game long

• 3 weeks later...

I've done a bit of thinking, and have come up with this as the base of my Death Guard army. This gives me room to take Mortarion, a Fellblade, or nearly 1k points of other non LoW options. What do you all think?

++  Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2,175pts] ++

+ HQ +

Calas Typhon [200pts]

Master of Signal [115pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, On Foot, Refractor Field
. Chainsword or Combat Blade: Chainsword
. Consul
. . Master of Signal

Siege Breaker [115pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, On Foot, Refractor Field
. Chainsword or Combat Blade: Chainsword
. Consul: Siege Breaker

+ Troops +

Heavy Support Squad, Legion Missile Launcher [220pts]: Missile Launcher, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion

Heavy Support Squad, Legion Volkite Culverin [255pts]: Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Space Marines, Legion, Volkite Culverin

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [175pts]: Bolters, 13x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [175pts]: Bolters, 13x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

+ Heavy Support +

Grave Warden Terminator Squad [745pts]: 9x Grave Warden Terminator
. Spartan Assault Tank, Legion: Armoured Ceramite, Chem-munitions, Flare Shield, Quad Lascannon Sponsons x2, Twin-linked Heavy Flamer

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance:   XIV: Death Guard, Traitor

Rite of War: The Reaping

+ Use Playtest Rules +

Use Playtest Rules: Playtest Rules Off

++ Total: [2,175pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe