Necron "Imperial ruins" style terrain. Ideas?

BaronTuman

Here's something that I've been puzzling over for a while now, and not come up with a good idea, so I'm turning it over to my fellow tomb-lords.

I'm looking to make some ITC style terrain with a necron theme.  It should ideally have an esthetic similar to our vehicles with broad flat surfaces with ingrained schematic-like lines etched into the surface.  But... and this is the important part, it should be FUNCTIONALLY similar to GW imperial ruins, with thin walls, multiple levels and hollow central areas to stand models in.

Ideas anyone? Pictures, or sketches would be wonderful.

Yeah, necron ruins rarely have thin walls... it looks weird if its not a monolithic slab of scifi rock. Which is why all terrain available out there is some variation of a pyramid, an obelisk or a big cube or cylindrical thing.

You could maybe make a sort of hollow pyramid that has been cracked open, with thin walls and multiple levels. Picture the GW Imperial terrain but with the outside walls tilted instead of straight up. I don't know how feasible that is to make, though. Plasticard might work for it.

Those are fantastic, and very reasonable IMO :tu:

I was going to suggest that you can use GreenStuffWorld’s texture rollers not only on GreenStuff but also - if you press hard enough - on XPS/foamboard (not the kind made of lots of little balls!). We used it for my son’s AoP base recently and it can texture sheets, what you then make is up to you...

I have bought a lot of FLG terrain and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. A lot of stuff didn't line up right and took a lot of work to get it to go together. It's cheaper than GW terrain but not cheap enough for the hassle it was.

What I have in mind is like the corners of a Tesseract Vault but wider and with a few levels, like there was a complete structure that was blasted open.