Facing the Unknown II

Trokair

See, the reason I wanna run Warglaives is because then I don't have to pay FW prices and I can just buy a box and then eBay for another single Warglaive, done and done.

Valid.

Or you can take that fourth warglaive and covert into a Moriax if you have the spare parts laying around.

Warglaive is still a good choice. It's sweep attack will help get it out of tarpit units.

Given any thought to what house your doing (rules wise)?

Raven. Partly for the matchy sort of heraldry and appearance to the Raven Guard, partly for the "advance and shoot everything" thing; makes getting the Warglaives and Preceptor into melee easier.

Raven. Partly for the matchy sort of heraldry and appearance to the Raven Guard, partly for the "advance and shoot everything" thing; makes getting the Warglaives and Preceptor into melee easier.

Technically if your doing a meltagun on the warglaive then all it's weapons are assault, the thermal spear is also assault. But that will help the perceptor keep up.

Though if you want to get into melee faster might I suggest Terryn, lets you roll an additional dice on advance and charges and discard the lowest. Outside of using Full Tilt the warglaives have a 26" threat reach. 

Technically if your doing a meltagun on the warglaive then all it's weapons are assault, the thermal spear is also assault. But that will help the perceptor keep up.

Though if you want to get into melee faster might I suggest Terryn, lets you roll an additional dice on advance and charges and discard the lowest. Outside of using Full Tilt the warglaives have a 26" threat reach. 

But Terryn are Smurf Knights...!

But Terryn are Smurf Knights...!

You can paint your Knights as you see fit.

Heck was thinking on that for fluff:

Preceptor Knight pilots tend to be teachers/mentors and armigar pilots are generally slaved to a host knight.

So you paint the group via House Raven (if you want) and fluff wise your Preceptor pilot is just teaching a new style of fighting.

Just depends on how strict your fluff/paint pairing is.

This ^^

Use a non studio scheme and they can be anything. I can use my Slaanesh marines as Emperors Children, Word Bearers or Black Legion because I have not locked them into an 'Official' GW scheme, just black with a purple highlight and silver trim... 

PAint your Knights pink!!!!! Please :)

Not a ton of painting progress to report this week. These guys were finished:

yVdwubGl.jpg

The one in the middle is painted in a different style because he was a WIP from when I stopped playing about fourteen years ago. He was reposed with wire and green stuff, and some of the green stuff had fallen off, so I had to repair that, paint over it, and give him a backpack. The rest of the paint job is archeotech that I no longer know how to produce, but it looks pretty OK, so I didn't strip him.

With these three done, all that's left for the crusader squads is the two plasma cannons and the two combi-weapon guys. Then two characters and a Dreadnought will finish out the list. However, I still have to rebase everyone. I got some sheets of plasticard this week and I'm trying to figure out a good way to make it look like tile; I want them to look like they're in some kind of temple or shrine world.

Another thing eating up my time has been figuring out how to transport this army once I'm ready to play games with it. I have one of these old-style cases which I'd like to reuse, which currently has three infantry trays:

A5ebMHJl.jpg

yZ5AKPHl.jpg

UlCr9Iml.jpg

But I won't need to carry 108 infantry any time soon, and it can't fit any vehicles, so I need to replace or cut some trays. I think I can swap out the two bottom trays for an 80mm or 90mm tray of pick-and-pluck foam, which should fit the Land Raider if I detach its hatch-mounted weapons, with plenty of room left for whatever else. That's slightly taller than the trays it replaces (~32mm each), but there's some head room in the case; I can fit a rulebook in there on top of the three trays and foam topper, and it still closes without crushing anything.

I'll need to invest in a second and/or larger case before very long - maybe a Battlefoam Black Friday deal later this week, in fact - but as a $20 stopgap I hope this will work pretty well.

I think I've found my recipe for tile:

t1ULNW4l.jpg

My process: using a ruler, mark the plasticard with 1cm squares, and score the lines. Fold a row until it snaps off. With a knife, shave down both edges of the row at a 45-degree angle. Break off the squares and shave down their sides as well. Put nine tiles on a base, then trim down the overhang. (The third one isn't trimmed yet because the glue was drying when I took the picture.)

This ^^

Use a non studio scheme and they can be anything. I can use my Slaanesh marines as Emperors Children, Word Bearers or Black Legion because I have not locked them into an 'Official' GW scheme, just black with a purple highlight and silver trim... 

PAint your Knights pink!!!!! Please :smile.:

Well....

Considering my garrison spin-off of my knight house it would be interesting to have a pastel group.

If I PM you a form with some info need for the group, could you fill it out?

Might not get to it quickly (like in the next year), but I will promise to add it to the mid-tier project list.

Update Edit:

The connection for the drones is not setting straight. I have a plan, just have to piece it in order.

Also while cleansing my basement of other xenos parts (sold my orks) I found the original hand sprue. And it's replacment arrives *checks tracking* this afternoon.

Granted since I figured out the 31 series suits I now have the spare hands when I decide to build it. Still need to design the submunission rifle.

In other news, the drone design might change anyway if the rumoured change to the shield drone rules are true in the upcoming CA. Already planning a honestly more fluffy gun drone front. Just in case.

I'm going to see about building the sample series 1 suit and getting both sprayed and painted in the scheme. Thinking of using the cannon fodder brown/white design. The commander(s) will have their custom schemes as well as the stormsurge and riptide being hero mechs.

Edited by Focslain

This ^^

PAint your Knights pink!!!!! Please :smile.:

Well....

Considering my garrison spin-off of my knight house it would be interesting to have a pastel group.

Might not get to it quickly (like in the next year), but I will promise to add it to the mid-tier project list.

Yea man thats cool. Always willing to help out a fellow B&C user. 

Well....

Yea man thats cool. Always willing to help out a fellow B&C user. 

Ok, this might take a bit. Inspiration hit and I'm writing up a background packet that I'll add to a google doc. 

The primary house is not your standard one. I'll PM you the link once it's done. Til then design a small force (<1K) of IK and note anything you might want in the pilots backstory (name, looks, attitude, the usual).

Focslain, while I am watching your drone conversion project with interest I don’t think I have grasped what you are actually trying to build. Keep going, I want to see how it turns out.

Zephaniah Adriyen, you sir are suffering from project creep, what’s next? A Titian?

Hymnblade, Archeotech indeed, looks good for its age as well.

Regarding the old carry case, I have replaced two foam trays in one of mine with an 80mm (I think) tray for my AdMech Robots without problems so your plan should work out fine.

Also nice work on the titles, that’s a good idea, though you may want to wary it so that you don’t have one square title dead center all the time. 

TrawlingCleaner, nice start on the Lord of Contagion, what purple is that on the cloak?

01RTB01, that head looks great, now I want to see the rest of Drazhar all painted up.

Trokair, I cannot afford a Titan. That'd involve saving up for far too long for me to bother with, for just a Warhound, much less a Warbringer, Reaver or Warlord.

That said, it does occur to me that entry-level Titans are around $500-$600 USD, which is only 5 to 6 Knights...

It might just be because it is rather late where I am but that last line had me in stitches.

I know I was being slightly hyperbole with my comment about a Titan but seriously, your project does seem to grow bigger and bigger every time I have time to read the thread, just make sure it does not overwhelm you and good luck.

Regarding the old carry case, I have replaced two foam trays in one of mine with an 80mm (I think) tray for my AdMech Robots without problems so your plan should work out fine.

Also nice work on the titles, that’s a good idea, though you may want to wary it so that you don’t have one square title dead center all the time.

Thanks, I'm glad to know my idea isn't crazy.

I played with off-center tiles a bit, but the size of the tiles relative to the base makes it kind of tricky to fit anything on the edges. I agree that everyone happening to stand exactly dead center on a tile would look weird, so I'll keep fiddling with it.

Focslain, while I am watching your drone conversion project with interest I don’t think I have grasped what you are actually trying to build. Keep going, I want to see how it turns out.

@Trokair - Not sure as in theme or rules?

Theme - In the two recent series drones were used to help support the manned mecha. These being the QF-4000 series from Frontier and the Lil Draken from Delta. While originally I figured I was copying the QF design the model is looking more towards the Lil Draken instead.

Rules - Since this is a pure suit list I wanted to add some buffs, the marker drones do this, though not as well as their infantry counterparts. Shield drones are a must include to help protect the valuable suits, especially with this being an elite army.

I'm making them separate so that once one part dies I can remove it instead of declaring the drones to have 2W and keeping track of what was taken out. Plus it gives me the two bases which is actually better because it increase their AOE for savior protocol.

That said, it does occur to me that entry-level Titans are around $500-$600 USD, which is only 5 to 6 Knights...

There's got to be way to Voltron five knights together into a Titan. Actually, I'm surprised the Tau don't already have battlesuits that do this.

@Hymnblade - I'm sure they tried, but it just seemed easier in construction to just up-scale the original designs. Not to mention the misnomer that multiple power sources increase out exponentially and not linearly, or even decreases depending on the power transfer system (the real bottle neck)... *continues rambling on more myths of the super robot genre*

I, Nusphigor, Vow to face the Unknown and will learn about the Night Lords Legion by 29 February 2020 by working on a Patrol Detachment composed of a Chaos Lord, two 10 man squad of chaos marines with double plasma, a squad of havocs with lascannons and plasmagun, a squad of havocs with chain cannons and a combi plasma and a contemptor dreadnought. 

Here are the pics of the minis. I'm sorry i started working on some tonight but i forgot to make a vow before starting working on them. It won't happen again.
74572380_10156846621734150_1393385474990

77346895_10156846622059150_1121631198976

78631335_10156846622444150_2358416063206

76727066_10156846622609150_6204412367418

78132797_10156846622704150_7342238389124

78996864_10156846622859150_1843630517287

Edited by nusphigor

Focslain, both really, so thank you for clarifying.

Welcome Nusphigor, and no worries about starting a little, that’s fine, it is all still in an early enough stage. Love the look of the mark III marines in there, and the under slang lascanons.

I can actually start on my Sisters now. :smile.:

That said after carefully looking at the build instructions and the spruces there are not enough helmets for all of the sisters in power armour, and as far as I can determine the Canoness currently has an illegal load out so I will wait to build her until the FAQ has come out.

So I will probably convert a Missinonary, build most of the battle sister squad, the repentia and the arcos for my Patrol Detachment.

gallery_29932_13153_63286.jpg

Enjoy that Trokair, sisters players have waited an age for this to arrive. Have a great time with that!

Work has done me in this week so I've not got much done. Did some base colours on drazhar. Aiming to finish him today/ tomorrow and get the venoms painted across the weekend. That'd give me the patrol and then onto expanding it into a battalion...